What's new

"Now Showing"

Will

Strata Poster
The long awaited Black Swan basically makes me glad I'm not actually a film critic, because it's a struggle to put my thoughts on it into words - it's essentially indescribable, and there's very little I can compare it to...

What I will say is that it, and Natalie Portman in particular are entirely deserving of all of the praise and award nominations that have been heaped upon them left, right and centre, and that for anyone who can get past the far from fluffy exterior, it comes heavily recommended. It's arguably as intense and unsettling as some of Aronofsky's earlier work, but without the 'Eurgh, hand me my mind bleach' effect of Requiem for a Dream and thus it's a lot more rewatchable, and there's enough lighter (not to mention stunningly coreographed) scenes to take the edge off the darkly brilliant descent into insanity sequences.

peep

CF Legend
Well for some reason I haven't been updating you all on my thoughts on films I've seen recently. This may take some time...*cracks knuckles*

- The way back

I found this film a bit strange, it was quite 'epic' but there were so many scenes of just walking up or down mountains that at one point I thought someone had changed the film over to Lord of the Ruddy Rings. There were some fantastic scenes in there, like the escape from the camp. Overall the film is made really well and the cinematography is just breath-taking, earning the film true 'epic' status. The casting was a bit odd though yet it really worked, I'm of course talking about the random presence of Colin Farrell as like a Russian convict-type and yet pulling it off. For me though there were just too many moments of nothing happening and I was able to get easily distracted rather than being totally captivated by their truly horrifying journey.

Rating: 3/5

- 127 hours

I really love Danny Boyle's films, they have such an edge to them that make them great entertainment. Recently I've realised I have to leave like at least a year in between watching his films as I find them hard to re-watch, I'm not sure why but I can see this film heavily falling into this category. For such a simple story he pulls out some interesting film techniques to continue making the film interesting and to keep hold of your attention. Annoyingly he uses a 3 way split screen way too much and ends up just distracting you from the story, somehow (which seems impossible due to the fact it's usually during a scene where he is riding a bike or something). There were some cool scenes and yet another film where the cinematography of the amazing landscape takes centre stage, if only for mere moments due to the sheer amazing performance by James Franco (WHY isn't he doing more serious stuff like this?). The whole hype surrounding the *spoiler* arm-cutting scene *spoiler* was a bit pathetic and I found it a tad distracting because up till that point you're just waiting for that moment and then it's over in a flash and doesn't really leave much of an impression. I think the film has been very over-hyped and I was a little disappointed due to this but it is a great film, if only for the excellent performance by James Franco.

Rating: 4/5

- Season of the Witch

Yay for new Nic Cage mental film....Or so I was hoping. I love it when Nic Cage goes nuts or plays a bit of an edgy character (see: Vampires Kiss, Bad Lieutenant, *THAT* scene in Family Man). It also stars Ron Perlman, I've currently been getting into Sons of Anarachy and I love him in that and in Hellboy so the two together I was expecting major epicness. On top of that, without knowing it, it also stars Robert Sheehan (Misfits and Killing Bono (not out for another few months)) who I think has his moments. The film however was quite the let-down. It has all the elements to make it amazing but a lazy ending and the occasional piece of really dodgy CGI ruined it, oh and script was weak at times, ok, quite a lot. I loved the banter between Cage and Perlman and the girl who plays the 'witch' was really good being able to switch from the sweet innocent little girl to pure evil in a mere heartbeat. So it's a film that has its moments (the bridge scene is pretty awesome) but overall it doesn't fulfil me with my 'Nic Cage is a nutter' obsession :p

- Sex and other drugs

I really love both Anne Hathaway (don't like her? Go watch Rachel getting married and you'll change your mind) and Jake Gyllenhaal (yeah he has been in some bad films but he is great in Donnie Darko). I thought the chemistry between the two in this was great and the story is funny and yet very sad, actually the film is, at times, very depressing. Somehow the film is able to balance the two themes of the film extremely well so as to keep you entertained and amused and yet at the same time able to pull on your heart strings when her conditions get worse (this can't be counted as a spoiler as it is heavily hinted at in the trailer and if you had a brain cell you'd work it out very early on in the film). I felt really engrossed with this film and for once in a rom-com found myself really wanting their relationship to last and to be all 'happy ending' and soppy. Yet don't let the emotional stuff put you off as there are some hilarious scenes (the brother character was a genius touch) and lots of exciting nudity.

- The Tourist

Once again, I love both of the lead actors but they just don't work well, there is just no chemistry, just two very lovely looking people in a simple comedy thriller. I admit the twist at the end is fun but for most it will be too predictable for the film to gain any merit from it. There are a few Muse tracks in there so it gets bonus points for that but it's all just too fancy and not much going on for it to be good enough.

Rating: 2/5

- Tangled in 3D

Really been looking forward to this, I think Disney got off to a great new start with Princess and the Frog last year (two years ago for those across the Atlantic) and despite the lack of the hand drawn 2D animation I really love the style of this, it has just the right look of a Disney animated film with that classic look but with just a brighter touch. The story isn't great but it has some awesome characters (that chameleon has to be one of the best side-kicks in a Disney flick) and it has fantastic humour and style. The evil mother character is kinda cool when she has her epic mood swings and her songs reprise is just epic and pure evil, fantastic. I thought the songs weren't the best (although Mother Knows best is fantastic it doesn't quite beat Dr Facilier's song in PatF), some do grow on you after repeat listens but that's not a good thing in a film, I do usually love Alan Menken but it just felt samey and nothing really stands out. The film really has some fantastic scenes (the jolly fun in the tavern and the lantern scene) and the ending was really good if very dark (which tbh just makes it more true Disney-ish). The 3D? Nothing special and the only scene it really shows off is the lantern scene which is, to be very honest, spectacular. Overall a great film for the whole family, pure entertainment.

- Tron: Legacy in IMAX 3D

I just HAD to see it again and this time in proper IMAX 3D. It's still astounding, fantastic set pieces, special effects are more than special and that Daft Punk score still makes me feel all spine-tingly. Does IMAX make a difference? Not too much, but the battle scenes are pretty cool, but it almost gives you too much to try to concentrate on.

Rating: 5/5

- Blue Valentine

I'd heard good things about this film and I can totally see why. The performance by Ryan Gosling especially is just phenomenal, it feels so real, he is able to create this very versatile character which can at times be quite scary just because of the whole realistic feel to the whole film. It's quite a simple film but told in such a way that you're so engaged and realise quickly what it feels like in that relationship on a day-to-day basis. As the film goes on it's like another layer is unveiled and the characters just get more real and engrossing (if that makes sense?). Everyone should watch it, if they want to see a masterclass in acting.

Rating: 5/5

- Green Hornet in 3D

I like Seth Rogan, he always comes across as that really cool, easy to know guy that everyone likes. In this film he is quite the opposite and I just didn't find anything amusing apart from the bad guy towards the end. The plot twists are so predictable and the only thing worth note is that the car is cool and the 3D is pointless.

Rating: 2/5

- Morning Glory

I was expecting this to be one of those films where all the good bits are in the trailer and nothing is left to enjoy, I was proved quite wrong. Although predictable it is still great fun and Harrison Ford just confirms his status as a legend. There are some really funny scenes, even if most of them aren't till half way through. Oh and it features a CRED! Jeff Goldblum is also rather amusing with his rather dry banter with the girl. The only downside is the terrible scenes where the she gets all flustered and clumsy when talking to a guy she likes, urgh, annoying.

- Black Swan

Still annoyed I didn't get to see this at the festival last October but it was worth the wait. It may take a while to get going but when it does it is just spectacular. Natalie Portman is just amazing in every way possible (bedroom scene with her and Mila Kunis is just well, WOW :p) there are also a few amusing moments which I feel add to the film a lot (one makes you jump and then everyone just mega-lol). There is a lot of gore but I think it was really necessary to be able to give it more of a shock and to really show her demented side of her character. I found it quite scary at times, a very jumpy thriller with some really twisted scenes. I really hope Portman wins all the awards she can for her performance because she is just amazing in it.

Rating: 4.5/5

I haven't seen The Kings Speech at the cinema because I saw it shed loads of times for work last year, I'm really in no hurry to watch it again. But I thought I should put my two pence into the fire of conversation regarding the film. The film is fantastic, full of brilliant performances. I think Helena Bonham Carter is subtle and amusing and she really adds to the film, obviously Colin Firth is superb as the King and without a doubt deserves all the award glory he'll get. It's a film that actually has a lot of amusing banter and the film flows really nicely and everyone should go and see it :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I promised Jordan a review of Moon, so here it is.

First of all, I didn't know anything about the film. I like going into films like this that you remember hearing good stuff about without any real knowledge of it. So I've no idea who directed it, I know nothing about the film (and I'm keeping it like that for the review, I'll look later).

Okay, so within the first five minutes I'm getting three film influences coming strongly through, and by that, I mean really strongly.

Firstly, and very obviously is the 2001 element. It couldn't have tried any harder to be 2001 at times.

Secondly, there's a touch of Alien in there. Not the main part of the film, but the undercurrent of the film is pretty much the same as Alien.

Thirdly, Silent Running. Not many people will have seen this, but the undercurrent of mild insanity of the film is very similar and Moon has a very similar "feel" to Silent running. While in appearance and presentation it's 2001, in feel it's Silent Running.

A little way into the film, it also feels a lot like Cronenberg's Dead Ringers - this isn't a spoiler if you've never seen that :lol:

Oddly, this is really comforting. While it seems cheap to mix and match these three films and produce a new one - they are probably my three favourite Sci-Fi movies of all time (taking Star Wars as an cowboy film in space ;) ).

So it's really nice to be back in a seat watching a really traditional sci-fi film.

It's proper sci-fi fare too. The film is quite deliberately paced in a slightly above plodding manner. Gravity is low on the moon and life is slow and lonely for the only occupant of the moon mining facility; Sam Bell. The film is paced like this, so you get to feel the loneliness and desolation of such a remote and dull job. It works very well.

Obviously there's more to the film than one bloke just going out to fix harvesting machines, but you need to watch it for yourself to get the flow.

This is my first issue with the film though. It shows its hand very early on and you know how the film is likely to pan out. There are no surprises or shocks here. Still, it's good that a film is honest for once. It's telling a tale, a fairy story if you like and there's no murder mystery huge plot twisting element. Again, it's something refreshing for a change. It means you can sit back and enjoy the little world created and the interaction between Sam and his robot pal Gerty.

My next issue is that even though it's heavily influenced by 2001, Alien and Silent running, it never excels in the ways though films did.

It was never as bizarre, probing and questioning as 2001; you're never searching for hidden meaning and left trying to work out the answers.

The paranoia and suspense induced by 2001 and Alien is always there too, but it always cuts it short before it reaches a high level. You're just about getting a hint of something deep and mean that will cause a chill to run down your spine, and suddenly all is right with the world again. It kills the paranoia rather than fuelling it. It's a nice film.

The political message of Silent Running is also there running in the background, but it's not addressed until the final seconds of the film and it's brushed over. It needed to end where it did, but it leaves that side of the film unsatisfactory.

I think my problem is my love of those three films it's so influenced by :lol:

Despite always feeling a little frustrated by the film never really going far enough (it's a bit of a tease and promises more than it delivers), I still enjoyed it. I didn't really enjoy it, but I never wanted to turn it off or wander away at any point. If the disk had broken, I'd have been gutted having to wait to see the rest of the film.

Madame_furie watched it with me. She'd never make it through 2001, Alien or Silent Running (she may make it through Silent Running actually, but only at a push and after watching Moon). They're too "harcore sci-fi" for her. She loved Moon though, thought it was brilliant. So obviously what left me a little disappointed has made the film accessible.

It's certainly well made and I'm glad I watched it. It didn't quite do it for me, but it still deserves 8/10.

peep

CF Legend
I really want to watch the Evil Dead films, especially as Raimi is now talking about a new one.

Last night I saw Conviction

Starring Hilary S**** and Sam Rockwell it is based on the true story of Rockwell being wrongly accused of murder and S**** (playing the Sister) learning to become a lawyer type peep to prove his innocence and get him out of jail. It's ok, obviously predictable etc, very depressing at times. Minnie Driver somehow provided some amusement throughout the film which was good. The acting overall was very good though but the film didn't really do much for me, a tad boring in parts. Hmm.

kimahri

CF Legend
After reading Furies review of Moon I went out and bought it... then finally watched it today.

It was quite good to be honest. GERTY <3

Dave

CF Legend
Watched a few films of late.

Die Hard 3 (I've watched it in bits, but never start to finish)

I liked it, but it was just odd, I can't quite put my finger on what, it felt like it never got going until the very end of the film after the main intentions of the bad guy (played by a hilariously accented Jeremy Irons) had been and gone. Good point is the character chemisty between Samuel L Jackson and Bruce Willis. Oh and that beginning explosion was epic.
All in all about 6/10, probably the 2nd worst Die Hard.

Star Wars Episode III

Finally got around to watching this film after years of neglecting it, can see why though, it was so dull...I mean there were some good moments, but what I don't like about the whole prequel series was the over use of CGI and detail, as the progression into the original trilogy is really strange, from flashy computer screeens with holograms etc to plastic sets with a few LED's chucked by the end of the film is really strange, almost regressing as opposed to going into the future.
The ending where no one said anything was probably the best bit in the entire film, it helped closed the film in a beautiful closure to the series. The Darth Vader suiting up sequence was really well done, apart from the ridiculous "NOOOOOOO" which almost killed that build up.

Overall around 5/10 in terms of it in the series. Not as bad as Clone Wars though.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Finally got to see Black Swan last night and although yes it was beautiful and brilliant, I just wished I'd gone to see it at the local Art House cinema instead of Odeon.

Now I know that sounds really snobby of me, but I really wanted to enjoy and embrace this film. I know what Aronofsky's films are like, dark, sexy, mind-boggling and I wanted to be able to be swept up into all of that and really be involved. But alas, I chose a Wednesday night at the most popular cinema in Southampton to go watch it. Bad idea. Every time there was a sex reference people laughed like morons and were just generally guffawing every time something sexy happened or 'weird' happened (if you've seen it you know what I mean). I'm not saying I don't want people to laugh at films, but not quite so idiotically. It ruined the film a little for me.

Anyway, I love Aronofsky's frantic camera style. Even though nothing much is really happening the way the camera moves combined with the dramatic score (I LOVE the music from Swan Lake anyway, this just made it better). And he leave you with a sense of unease about every character. They all have the ability and tendency to be not quite what they seem and you realise they can snap at any moment. There is no safety, which I think is what gives Black Swan it's tension.

The choreography and costumes are exquisite, I think I enjoyed looking at the make-up and outfits as much as I was enthralled by the storyline.

I hope it wins best director at the Oscars, it should do. There's nothing like an Aronofsky film if you ask me, truly one of a kind.

9/10

Snoo

The Legend
East Coast(er) General said:

Agreed. <3

Red

While the acting wasn't exactly ace, or the story, I had a number of laughs simply because it was something I can see my parents/older people saying about me. Plus.. guns.. killing.. ect ect :)

8/10

Inception

2nd time through.. finally got my head FULLY around the movie.. and I just got even more pissed about the ending. The whole movie was great but son of a bitch why the cliffhanger..

9.5/10

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Black Swan was fantastic.

It's been the only film I've seen recently that I've actually been waiting for and planned to see, and it didn't disappoint.

It's not the most easy thing to watch, granted, as it's pure tension from start to finish, but it's gorgeous at the same time. I love as well how you leave the film not really knowing what really happened and what didn't; great stuff!

Jer

Strata Poster
Finally watched How To Train Your Dragon and while a lot of people have been misinterpreting my comments towards the movie I will say this as simply as possible

It was over hyped, and over all not as good as I expected it to be. It was not bad, I'm not saying it's bad all I'm saying is I expected it to blow my socks off, and it didn't. As far as animated movies for 2010 are concerned prefer Toy Story 3

7/10

kimahri

CF Legend
The Nostalgia Chick did 2 videos about dreamworks. It'll explain what i wan to say better

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... he-eyebrow
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... ey-dualing

Well, the second one does. I just wanted to show everyone them.

ANYWHEY, I got some Movies. I have Full Metal Jacket, Sunshine, HTTYD and TEKKONKINKREET to watch... As well as Tales of Earthsea, The rest of paranoia agent and GANTZ, FLCL and the sencond half of season 2 and season 3 of Avatar...

Lofty

CF Legend
Agree with Ben. Black Swan was magnificent.

I won't bore you all with details, but let's just say, if you're a fan of the macabre, horror or tension in films, you WON'T feel robbed.