What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Time for some more peep movie reviews :D

First up is Skyline.

I'd heard good things about this film and the trailer made it look epic. So is it as good as I was expecting? Yes, yes it was. I thought the amazing effects were effortlessly cool and instead of going 'cool, look how amazing that CGI is' I found myself thinking 'wow, that alien thing is terrifying'. The script wasn't amazing, there were a few laughs in the audience after some very corny lines. However I loved the idea behind it and it was just enjoyable to watch. The ending was a bit random too, they should have finished it about 5 mins before that. Oh well, there was a beautiful air battle scene which I wish I could watch again.

Rating: 4/5

Next up is We are what we are.

I went in knowing nothing apart from the quote on the poster "It does for zombie films like Let the right one in did for Vampire films" - well something like that anyway. I can totally see where that critic was coming from. It was extremely random, the first half was quite dull and boring and then the second half went mental and felt like a different film. Overall it was ok but there were too many boring moments where nothing happened.

Rating: 3/5

Last of all was Paranormal Activity 2.

I thought the first one was good and it affected me in a way that a horror film hasn't done in a very long time. This prequel did pretty much the same as the first one, great tense scenes with a minimal story. I have to admit that one of the last scenes I was watching through my fingers lol. There were some truly terrifying moments and some 'OMG, don't go and check it out' moments hehe. So yeah, if you like the first one or jumpy films then this is fantastic for you, if not then avoid lol.

Rating: 4/5

Will

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
^ Will be watching Let Me In next week hopefully - I'm a Chloe Moretz fan :p
Get out...

Oh fine, while I still refuse to accept that she's not responsible for at least half the evil in the world, she really wasn't bad at all in Let Me In. With the original currently ranking just inside my Top 10 films list, I was justly uncertain about seeing that last week, but ended up pleasantly surprised. That's not to say it's even in the same league as the original, nor that Lina Leandersson's Eli is ever going to be bettered, but Moretz's effort was commendable, perhaps because the character is strong enough that no performance could kill her in any sense of the word. That said, it does take someone a bit special to deliver a blooddrenched killing scene in a touching, sensitive manner, but trust me, it happened.
In short, I was almost looking forward to slating this film, but as Ploddish has already outlined the numerous reasons why ultimately, I can't do that. As it is, it's a very different 4 stars for a film that's as radically different from its inspiration in some ways as it is similar in others - there are minor inconsistencies (arguably even mistakes, to those of us who've read the book) and the American influence is clear, and with nothing left to the imagination much of the subtle beauty of the original is replaced by darker, bloodier overtones...

As you might be able to tell, aside from being impressed, I'm not entirely sure WHAT to think. Conclusively, Let Me In has a definite Will seal of approval, but for anyone who liked it, the original IS a must see.

And further to John's post above, it's that line on the We Are What We Are poster, amongst other intriguing promotional material, that's put it firmly on my Want list... so I'm far from impressed that every cinema within 30 miles of me has decided against showing it :evil:
Skyline's intrigued me since I saw the trailer as well, so, while I have my concerns that it could easily be somewhat cliched, I may well end up checking that one out next time I have a free afternoon, based on that review. Although saying that, having remembered the date, my cinematic priority for the weekend is obvious :--D

... and one other thing...
nealbie said:
To be honest, it's a film with Kevin Spacey in it - of COURSE it's awful! :wink:
Se7en? And on a list of 62, I refuse to accept that's the only one...

peep

CF Legend
^Kevin Spacey also does the voice of the robot in Moon which is absolutely epic and if you don't think it is then you clearly haven't seen the film :p

Glad you went to see Let me in Will. Furthermore I'm glad you enjoyed it, just like I said you would. :p

I took advantage of my Odeon card's discount tonight. I went to see French animation The Illusionist.

It has a very quirky style which I kinda liked. However the random to nearly non-existent dialogue drove me insane. It works in places, gives some scenes a real emotion but sometimes you just want them to talk. I actually got really annoyed with the main female character, just begs for expensive things and expects to keep receiving them, urgh. Strangely I did start feeling for the main character but I then started feeling more sympathy for his rabbit than the man. It was actually quite depressing and if you're feeling low I'd recommend you stay far away from the film. I'm still a bit confused as to what I think about the film as a whole.

Rating: 3/5

Oh and my Harry Potter ticket is booked for Saturday lunch time at the lovely Odeon in Leicester Square :D

nadroJ

CF Legend
I was quite looking forward to seeing The Illusionist, I imagined it to be similar to Belleville Rendezvous, which is beautiful.

Today I watched Man Bites Dog. I didn't like it but I have a feeling I'd like it the more I watched it? It's a mockumentary about a group of filmmakers following a serial killer, it really is bizarre. it's very slow but I assume it's meant to be to emphasise realism etc. It's very very warped.

Ollie

CF Legend
I always wondered if this had ever happened. :p Wouldn't they have noticed when the BBFC and film thing comes up with the films title.
Yahoo news said:
Families taking their children to see animated hit 'Megamind' in a US cinema were given a nasty shock when 'Saw 3D' was accidentally screened instead.

A theatre in Massachusetts unfortunately played the brutal horror film instead of the animated adventure, leaving kids screaming at the screen. The children were told to cover their eyes as cinema bosses tried to correct their mistake.

It took several minutes before the right film was shown, and so the children would have seen graphic images of a man with his foot cut off, and a woman killed by a buzz saw.

An upset father told WHDH of his traumatised son, "He came and slept with us and we thought we had gotten past that years ago. He said that he had a few nightmares."

Free tickets were handed out by red-faced cinema employees as compensation.
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/17112010/5/c ... ake-0.html

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
Wouldn't they have noticed when the BBFC and film thing comes up with the films title.

Yahoo news said:
Families taking their children to see animated hit 'Megamind' in a US cinema were given a nasty shock when 'Saw 3D' was accidentally screened instead.

*facepalm*

Just finished watching Let The Right One In and just off to see the remake Let Me In, literally, now....! (reviews later tonight/tomorrow)

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Watched Fight Club for the first time ever last night...

Epicness, Edward Norton is slowly becoming one of my fave actors, and I've only seen him in two films (the other being The Illusionist)...

Great twist tbh, probably helped a lot that I honestly had no prior knowledge (bar THAT line) to the film's contents and story...

Snoo

The Legend
Nemesis Inferno said:
Watched Fight Club for the first time ever last night...

Epicness, Edward Norton is slowly becoming one of my fave actors, and I've only seen him in two films (the other being The Illusionist)...

Great twist tbh, probably helped a lot that I honestly had no prior knowledge (bar THAT line) to the film's contents and story...

Where have YOU been? But agreed.. EPIC movie.. one of my favorites.

Paranormal Activity 2

The first one scared the crap out of me to the point where I ended up not sleeping in my room for three nights. I loved how it built up, and every night you were wondering what was gonna happen next. To put it simply, this one just didn't have the same effect. I wasn't really too excited about what was happening next, I liked the simplicity of just the two characters in the first one, and this didn't scare me either. I mean a few scenes were chilling, like the one in the kitchen (won't go into more detail because I don't wanna spoil it), but it just didn't compare.

6/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Fight Club = <3

Paranormal Activity 2 = WHYYYY

However, this afternoon I watched Let The Right One In as I've had it downloaded for a while and as I was off to see the remake later on, thought I could spare just under 2 hours of my time to watch it. It was quite good, albeit I felt the narrative was very slow and required a bit of patience. The acting was superb, and the effects were very nice. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but I sure am glad I finally watched it.

8/10

Less than 30 mins later, I went to the cinema and saw the US remake Let Me In was the delightful Chloe Moretz. I usually hate remakes, but I had heard god things, plus I am a fan of Miss Moretz, so wouldn't want to miss out. It would make sense for me to compare them, and I did feel that the remakes' narrative was much more rapid (not, like MASSIVELY rapid, but it had a lot less moments of nothingness) and was a lot more tense. The acting was brilliant from both young actors, and I found myself repeating lines from most of the scenes from the original :p

I'd say it was just as good, if not a tad better, than the original, and I'd recommend it just as much as the Swedish original.

8/10

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Not a huge Potter fan but since the new one is coming out I figure I might as well watch this one since it's the only one I haven't seen. The movies are usually pretty hit or miss with me.. I find they're either confusing and boring or quite good, and this one happened to be the latter. I'd probably put it behind four and one but on par with the second, so yah was decent.

7.5/10

RCF

Strata Poster
DP, but here's my review.

I came in from hearing "It'll include a lot of information from the book" and so on. I came in with high expectations for this movie, and it didn't disappoint. It is my favorite in the film series. Mainly because I love the book, and it follows the book very closely, which is kinda rare in the HP series. Secondly, and one of the biggest reasons as well, they used humour in the correct way in this movie. In the Half Bloob Prince, it seemed way too forced, making the movie not as funny. In the Hallows, it was used at just the right times, and it was only used in situations that needed it (George loses his ear, turning into the 7 Potters etc.). But I will admit, I'm a total wimp, and I did in fact tear up (and had a couple of sniffles) when Dobby was killed.

Thing I found funny was hearing people's (who haven't read the book) reactions to the movie. I knew all that was going to happen, but sometimes it still came as an unexpected surprise due to the fact they don't follow books closely.

So most definitely my favorite HP film, and I can't wait for part 2 in July!

9.5/10

nealbie

CF Legend
Eugh - I now am not looking forward to the film if they've managed to pack the first 400 pages (at least) into part one!

Oh SPOILER - does Hedwig die, Chris? :p