What's new

"Now Showing"

Jer

Strata Poster
Due Date

I mean...it's not bad, but it's not good. I'm glad I saw it, put it that way. It was really The Hangover meets Trains, Planes, and Automobiles. But take out Steve Martin and add Robert Downey Jr. It was slightly disappointing, not as funny as I thought, all the funny parts were shown in the previews. I actually found myself forcing myself to laugh at parts. Overall like I said it wasnt bad, but it wasn't a good movie, just in the middle.

5/10

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Ye gods, I've not posted in ages. I suppose this post ought to be excellent to make up for the lack of me :p

So, recently I've been to see A Film About Owls (Legend of the Guarsafhdfasd etc) and Let Me In.

I enjoyed Owls in a very selfish way. It wasn't a good film, but it did its dirty deeds so wholeheartedly tastefully I couldn't help but like it. The CG was probably the best I've seen as of yet, with some truly astounding shots in it (one involving some marvelous slow motion lightning which looks as beautiful as it does in real life.)

The 3D use was an interesting cross between average and frankly, the best use I've seen of it yet. Snyder's finally found a use for slowmo thematically. Some scenes worked really well with the slowmo added in both for drama and to allow you to see what was going on without any of that Avataresque image flicker. The film has my favourite 3D shot in it, and I'm half tempted to recommend a watch just for it, but I shan't.

The acting was above par given the formulaic nature of the bigger plot points, with some nice performances by Geoffrey Rush and Helen Mirren. I think the script needed to be much stronger for the story it was telling - it was interesting enough to keep watching, but not enough to make much of an impact. I liked how thorough the worldbuilding was though, with everything being owl-friendly and claw-usable.

My least favourite thing about the film was the use of music. Whilst the themes themselves were actually pretty good, and certainly suitably epic, its implementation was definitely a little strange. 70% of the climax music was so quiet it had almost no impact - at one point there was no music whatsoever. Whilst I'm all for a thematic use of silence at key points, this was definitely not it. I'm far more for a score that complements the action and the dialogue with a good sound mix, much more akin to an Incredibles-esque Giacchino score; especially for a children's film. Christopher Nolan's recent films have all had very loud and brash climaxes, but from the excellent sound mix, all can intermingle and work perfectly together. This didn't, and it was a much weaker film for it.

I think I'll probably go again for another watch before it's gone to see if I just missed the best bits of the score :p

Next, Let Me In.

I really liked the original. It was quiet, understated, beautiful and poignant. This version was none of these, and was a better film for it.

I must admit, I was very much looking forward to this since reading a few preview screening reviews and interviews with the cast and crew. I was pleased that the director made sure that none of the rest watched it so it didn't inform their performance or the final quality of the film. It was adapted from both the screenplay of the original and the book, meaning things could be interpreted differently. I liked Chloe Moretz in Kick-Ass and Kody Smit-McPhee in The Road; both big films and in both they gave particularly mature and interesting performances. I also found out that one of my favourite composers was doing the score. So, to say I went in wanting to like it is a fair assumption. I'm very glad I did.

It's a similar enough film in plotting to the Swedish version, but with what I feel are lots of smarter decisions. Some of the fat has been cut (making it feel faster-paced, but less poignant for it), and it's far more brash. The vampirism is much creepier, making it a far more intense movie.

Moretz and Smit-McPhee were as good as expected: nothing short of exceptional. I also really enjoyed the performance of the bully character, Dylan Minette who did a stellar job at being really bloomin intimidating for a teenager. My favourite actor though was probably Richard Jenkins playing Abby's "Father" - a role that was very subtly redefined in this version but which shone him in a completely different light.

He's also in my favourite scene in the film, one which definitely has my absolute favourite cinematographical moment in film. It's a totally new scene, to do with him "helping" Abby and I really don't want to spoil a single moment of it. Really great stuff, and I would LOVE to know how they did it. Absolute magic.

Finally, the score! I did think the original's was a little bit too quiet and perhaps a little too gentle (which is fine, of course, it's a smaller film - this is an example of the differences between the two). Allow me to fanboy a little over Giacchino's use of everything from a lonely violin to splendidly creepy boy's choir. He does some very adept riffing off a Polish gentleman named Krzysztof Penderecki who's famous for creating music so creepy it was used as-is in the Shining. Going to have to plump for him over the original, I'm afraid.

The original feels like such a different film. This one's tone is only very slightly to a more horror-friendly western audience, but the shift seems to move mountains in big areas like the exposition, character development and plotting. Some segments had my mind racing after a character played a line slightly differently, or a plot point was put in a different chronological order. Other bits were just deliriously engrossing. Mark (Slayed) can attest to the exact amount of mind-blown-ness I was experiencing after the credits rolled.

You so, so need to watch it. Some of you will think it a shot-for-shot remake, whilst others will think it totally different. I think it's just amazing.

Oh, and it's also Hammer's first film back from the dead. This can only be a good thing.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ Will be watching Let Me In next week hopefully - I'm a Chloe Moretz fan :p

My first post in here for 4 pages, so lots to write about:

I saw The Kids Are All Right the other week, which I had heard was very good and quite emotional. You sort of forget early on that the film is about a lesbian family, and you really engage with the story well. It was nicely directed, and the narrative kept you going throughout, and the ending is sad in a non-sad way, and I admit, I was emotional enough to have tears in my eyes.

A really nice, heart-warming film. I would recommend.

8/10

I went to see Due Date last night, which can best be summed up by saying that the laughs really were due... It wasn't funny at all, and the so called "funny" moments had all been shown in the trailer. The only part which even prompted a raised smile was to do with what the dog does to get it feeling sleepy - needless to say, I shan't spoil that if you do wish to go and see the film. I was really hoping it would be amusing enough to warrant me leaving satisfied, but in the end, I left feeling a bit out of pocket in terms of humour availability...

5/10

Finished Psycho (1960) in Film Studies today which has been on my list for ages. Oh my - it was worth the wait. The film is just so tense throughout, something Hitchcock does so well, yet so simply. It made me jump, it had me on the edge of my seat, and some of the shots and techniques are just outstanding. The acting was superb, production value amazing and the whole film I cannot give a bad word to. Simply gripping, stunning and faultless.

10/10

And finally, just got back from an advanced showing of Unstoppable. It is every single action film convention rolled into one, with literally nothing new brought to the table. Predictable, cliché ridden and rather boring for the most part - unless you're a die hard action fan, you should give this one a miss.

6/10

Jer

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I can't believe all the haters of Due Date! Do you guys like, NOT have senses of humour!?

no all the funny parts were over played on the TV, thus losing their effect.

^ Well due to being a student living in residence and not having a TV, I had only seen one advertisement so maybe that's why it wasn't ruined for me :p . Life without TV sucks.

nadroJ

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Well due to being a student living in residence and not having a TV, I had only seen one advertisement so maybe that's why it wasn't ruined for me :p . Life without TV sucks.

But you have a computer right? We all just go on tvcatchup.com, I'm sure there must be a Canadian equivalent?

nealbie

CF Legend
Watched Lion King 2 this morning..... there was Kovu..... whom Portia loved..... there was sobbing :(

Still the best Disney sequel ever though <3

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Jer said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I can't believe all the haters of Due Date! Do you guys like, NOT have senses of humour!?

no all the funny parts were over played on the TV, thus losing their effect.

I only ever saw the trailer at the cinema, albeit, I do go once or twice a week...and the trailers been playing over a month... :p

But seriously, even the parts not shown in the trailer were quite weak. It wasn't funny at all - it's a shame, it could have been a decent enough film... :(

nadroJ

CF Legend
nealbie said:
Watched Lion King 2 this morning..... there was Kovu..... whom Portia loved..... there was sobbing :(

Aww Neal *hugs* =[ And agreed about Lion King 2. In Upendiiiiiiiii!

Ollie

CF Legend
Jackass 3D:
Loved the previous Jackass films and the TV shows. This one is easily the best and some of the stunts are insane. It's amazing how much punishment they're bodies can take.
The 3D worked really well for the film and the reactions from the audience was great.
We were in hysterics the whole way through and I've haven't laughed so much in ages. :lol:
Definitely recommend seeing it if you're a fan off Jackass of enjoy insane and gross stunts.
8.5/10

Jer

Strata Poster
Watched The Jerk again yesterday. For those who dont know this is Steve Martins first movie, and it's always funny. No matter how many times you watch it, a dog named ****head is always funny.

9/10

bezzzzzer

Hyper Poster
nealbie said:

I love that film too. I agree, best Disney sequel, but only through elimination of all the others being absolutley awful.

The Aladdin ones aren't bad, but they're not amazing.

nealbie

CF Legend
bezzzzzer said:
nealbie said:

I love that film too. I agree, best Disney sequel, but only through elimination of all the others being absolutley awful.

The Aladdin ones aren't bad, but they're not amazing.

Other than the lead character - Return of Jafar's AWFUL!

But King of Thieves is almost as good as the first <3