What's new

"Now Showing"

kimahri

CF Legend
Last night I watched Alien. It was dull, predictable, boring and over all really poor and stuff but I'm not Ollie so its amazing as usual.

I also need a motion tracker from Aliens on my phone.

Snoo

The Legend
Shawshank Redemption

If you don't like this movie, give me your address so I can drive to your house and punch you in the face.

11/10

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
SnooSnoo said:
Shawshank Redemption

If you don't like this movie, give me your address so I can drive to your house and punch you in the face.

11/10
And post me the nearest airport so Snoo can pick me up on the way.

peep

CF Legend
So yesterday I had a cinema day. First up was Takers.

I didn't really know what the film was going to be about etc and so I had no expectations. It's basically your typical bank robber type film. It tries to be stylised and cool but in my opinion just fails to entertain. Well, some annoying girls that came in 15 mins late into the film found it entertaining because they are the sort of ditzy annoyances that see Chris "didn't he hit someone and went to court" Brown and have an orgasm. Oh wells, it was funny when the old black guy was half naked and it sounded like they were going to spew. Overall the film kept trying to be cool and just ended up being more turd. As you can tell, I hated the film.

Rating: 1/5

Next up was Made in Dagenham.

What a lovely, well made British film. The cast is great and it's a fantastic fun despite some very bleak moments. It's well written and directed and just very enjoyable. I do recommend the film to all.

Rating: 4/5

The next (and last for the day) was to be the 100th film I'd see at the cinema this year. Therefore I wanted something special and what better way to celebrate than to see the classic Back to the Future!

Remastered for the 25th anniversary and in Digital was just fantastic at the Empire in Leicester Square. Also added to the epicness of the screening was the awesome atmosphere created by the audience, lots of whooping, cheering, clapping and shouting "great scott!":p Oh, just a fantastic film and if you haven't seen it then on the big screen is clearly the best way to watch it.

Rating: 5/5

marc

CF Legend
Never saw the big deal with Back to the Future tbh, just found them really so and made for tv if you know what I mean.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Back To The Future <3 Hopefully seeing on Wednesday :)

Watched Phone Booth last night. I'd seen this advertised when it came out, but I was only about 10 then, so obviously I couldn't watch it. But as it was on Channel 4, I'd give it a shot. It was actually quite good - very tense, simple and had a reasonably believable story. Colin Farrell's performance was excellent, and you could clearly see his change in character throughout to deal with the situation.

Impressed. 8/10.

Nic

Strata Poster
ciallkennett said:
Colin Farrell's performance was excellent
Colin, Farrell and Excellent are three words that should never appear in the same sentence.

Last night, I watched Bring It On Again. We mainly watched it because it was bound to be terrible, and therefore good for a laugh. As it turns out, it was fairly bad, but not bad enough to be funny bad. Predictable doesn't cover it and it doesn't really have an ending, but it was alright.
2/5

Lain

Giga Poster
Upon walking into the cinema on Saturday, not knowing what I was going to be seeing, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Back to the Future was being screened.

Needless to say, I saw it, and it was amazing. :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry Marc, but I loved Back to the Future. Saw it about four times at the cinema (Odeon, Warrington) on release. I wasn't impressed with number 2, but 3 is also excellent. Then again, I like Flash Gordon, what do I know? :p

Watched a few bits and bobs over the long weekend.

First up Alice in Wonderland. I've been anxiously excited about this. It looks great and I love Tim Burton films, but they always leave me feeling like been done. It's a bit like waking up next to a four pinter... The sex was good and you enjoyed her, but in the cold light of day there's that mild disappointment you could have done better.

And Alice lives down to this sadly. It's a lovely film. The depth and detail is superb. James Cameron, if you want to learn how to create an alien world, ask Tim Burton ;) I can imagine at the cinema it's simply breath taking. It's what Burton does so well, but it's all shiny and bamboozling and look beyond it and you have your four pinter. The CGI "washes and waves" as it's badly put together to fit. HBC watched too much Blackadder II. Jonny Depp isn't given enough free reign, then too much and it doesn't work. The story is generally weak and "Snape" is badly miscast as the Caterpillar.

It's frustrating, because I want to love it. There's so much attention to detail and the film trundles along at a decent pace. It's just... It's just too Burton. You always feel as though you're watching a film. You're never 100% transported into his fantasy with him, but rather you're transported into his film. It's a subtle difference I think, but it's something I think he always suffers from. The suspension of disbelief is never complete. Compared to say, Terry Gilliam, you just never believe the world Burton is creating. It's not because it's too "unreal", but simply because you always feel you're on a set, in a CGI world and being "acted to". Don't get me wrong, I love the films he creates, they're entertaining, but I think I've finally managed to work out why they always leave my mildly disappointed.

Anyway, Alice gets a 7.5/10 for me.

Next was Shutter Island. A film I keep hearing about, but enough to know to avoid looking too much at otherwise I may "spoil it". I think that the poor story did that for me anyway. The film was really captivating, but I think I've just overdosed on "shock twist ending". You know there's a mystery to solve. You know it's being hidden within the evidence and flashbacks presented. Shutter Island was so obvious though right from the start. It set up three potential "twists" very early on and my first guess within the first ten minutes or so was correct. It kept on trying to twist and turn, and used hallucinations to throw you off track, but it just played out pretty much as I predicted.

I did think
that if they'd had the two "doctors" at the end discussing how they'd tricked the Marshal into believing he was insane, or shown him lobotomised and dreaming the entire encounter or something; it could have made a better ending. A second twist kind of thing. Though I would have probably thought it was a cop out anyway after being so blindingly obvious what was going on - a cheat if you like

It's a shame, because the direction was excellent and the acting top notch. It was a good film to watch, just a shame the story let it down. 7/10

I'm sure I watched some others too, may remember at some point :lol:

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Cinema night.

The first film I watched was Buried, which I have not heard a single bad word about and is VERY highly rated. The film itself was so simple, so effective and impressive...in a weird way. It's literally a guy...in a box...for an hour and a half. But the cinematography never got boring or repetitive. It was thrilling, had me on the edge of my seat and the ending was quite good.

Shockingly awesome. MUST see as hard to explain it's awesomeness. 9/10.

We then rushed straight into our second film: Back to the Future! It has been re-released to celebrate it's 25th anniversary. It was like watching it in HD, it was AMAZING! It was unusual seeing one of your favourite films on the big screen when it's 25 years old, but oh my, well worth it.

10/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^ I maintain it was quite good. The cinema was silent, and I very loudly went "Ohhohohoho!!!" in a sort of wow way. Did you stay through the credits? If not, you missed a bit ;)

It is up there with the best film of the year most definitely.

Nic

Strata Poster
furie said:
Then again, I like Flash Gordon, what do I know? :p
Considering that Flash Gordon is one of the all time greatest films of all time ever, I'd say you know quite a lot ;)

peep

CF Legend
ciallkennett said:
Did you stay through the credits? If not, you missed a bit ;)

HUH?! Does that mean I actually missed out on something or are you taking the p*ss? I usually sit through the credits (try and spot peeps I may have worked with) but I couldn't as I needed to leave as soon as the credits started.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
You didn't miss much either of you :p

The camera pans down the lid of the coffin, lit by the flashlight, showing "Mark White" in the square that Paul wrote earlier

Ben

CF Legend
I'm doing a "how history is portrayed in film" module at Uni and it's AMAZING. Today we had a five hour class, and it flew by. I'm such a geek but two hours of arguing with some American about whether we can learn from films and whether they're art or not, was great.

ANYWAY, we watched The Patriot, which I'd never seen. It was dire. I'm really glad I've never seen it before. It did mean we got to RIP it and its historical direness to shreds anyway <3

Dave

CF Legend
Gonna run through some films I've watched of late;

Stardust

The first time I've seen this film, I've been recommended it before. A great film, a very feel good spirit with some lovely quirky and funny moments, good all round cast mainly British actors. Robert De Niro's character was a welcome comedic interval in the film. Has some flaws, but hey the laughs the film brings makes up for it!

8/10

Taken

Well it has Liam Neeson in it so that makes it somewhat awesome already! I like the film, the premise of it was pretty quick to establish the awkward relationships in a family, the spoilt daughter, the twat step-dad, and the "I wanna go daddy" forces a guilt tripped acceptance. Then BHAM into the kidnapping and the vendetta, cleverly worked through and does not really stop for dramatic death scenes of the bad guys.
I like the film but it's a mediocre-good film by my standards. Re-watchable though.

7/10

peep

CF Legend
Hurrah for days where I just sit in a cinema lol. First up today was Wall Street: Money never sleeps

Now I haven't seen the first film and I wasn't really looking forward to seeing this film. Saying that I did enjoy it, good cast and well written. There were moments that didn't feel right and in some cases, went through a complicated bank thing that didn't make sense to the ill-informed/educated extremely quickly. Oh well, watchable but not amazing.

Rating: 3/5

Next up was Mr Nice.

At last, a great lead role for Rhys Ifans. He is absolutely brilliant in the film and makes a small British film, something that bit special. The film has a quirky style of using old stock footage of the era and placing the actors in, at times it looked terrible but I liked the idea behind it. I didn't really know anything about Howard Marks before going in and I think I enjoyed it more due to that. There was a scene near the end that I found quite hard to watch too but it added to the film in a good way. I was glad it had some amusing moments in there as it made it very watchable.

Rating: 4/5

Last up was an advance screening of The Social Network.

I knew the founder of Facebook went to court etc but I didn't really know the details which made this film even better for me. The cast were amazing and the way the story is told is great. Fantastic direction and script which just make it a brilliant film.

Rating: 4.5/5

nadroJ

CF Legend
In Film at the moment we are studying art film, and in a word, it loathes. I'm all for a bit of individuality, etc, and weirdness (David Lynch for example) but the films we are watching are in my opinion, pretentious, upper class bull****.

Today, we watched 8 1/2. Apparently it's about a director struggling with writers block, what I got from it was an extremely (brinking on annoyingly) vague plot with really weird scenes and found it very, very difficult to stay focused. It really wasn't my taste at all, I don't see the point in creating something so warped and off the charts that it makes no sense whatsoever?

Anyway, it was on the imdb250 list, so one plus I've got out of this burdensome day is that I can tick that one off and never, ever, ever have to sit through it again.

Urgh.