What's new

"Now Showing"

Smithy

Strata Poster
Almost said:
Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Sucked. 3/10, if I'm generous.

Agreed.

And I'd only gave it that due to Sacha Baron Cohen being hilarious in it. Sadly, it's a wasted effort.

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Saw the Simpsons last week, and to be honest, I felt a bit let-down. It was funny in places yes, but it was quite obvious they were struggling to keep the humour going for a full film. Its a much bigger challenge than the usual 20 minutes for an episode, and you could tell they weren't used to that. It was reasonable, but I didn't expect a great film, and it didn't exceed those expectations either.

The other film i've seen recently was Smokin' Aces. I always wanted to see that when it came out in the cinema, but missed it, so I took the opportunity to rent it this weekend. It looked like a great cast, and it seemed like a pretty slick cool film, sort of reminded me of Lucky Number Slevin from the trailers, which was another good one. It was good too, although very fast paced, and there's so much going on with so many different characters, who are all as crucial as the next, that its a bit hard to follow in the beginning. It took me two watches to fully get it. Its worth it though, its well acted, its different, and there's enough stuff going on continually to keep it interesting all the way through, not that its a very long film. Ryan Reynolds impressed me, but i've always thought he was a pretty good actor to be fair. Alicia Keys didn't impress me in an acting role though... Definitely worth a watch though.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I saw the Simpsons today and was very disapointed. It was'nt that funny at all. Like spider-pig was hilarious on the preview but after seeing it, it was'nt funny the 2nd time. And stupid annoying kids with their fake laughs ruined all the funny bits.

Oh well, it was alright but a disapointment. 7/10

I saw The Contract today, not to be confused with The Contractor, and I think I deserve a pat on the back for finally somewhat understanding an action film.

Possible spoilers

The film itself was very far fetched. There's no way people would walk away from that helicopter crash unscahed, and there's no way that the hiker girl and the kid's dad got together at the end. Her frickin boyfriend just got shot a few days ago, and now they're all of a sudden together? Talk about getting over things fast!

Spoiler alert done

The kid, Chris, I have to say was pretty cute and made the movie a bit more interesting. I also like Morgan Freeman, so that was good as well.

The plot as well was just sort of meh. Like I said, a bit fat fetched, but it was only an hour and a half long so it was bareable.

6.5/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Watched The Simpsons last night. Meh, it's alright I suppose. Just like an hour and 20 minute long version of the recent episodes. Nothing dreadful, but not great either.

Watched Memoirs of a Geisha the other week too, and that was a lovely film to watch. It was really quite shocking though. Until the American's arrived (though I knew from radio broadcasts and other stuff when it was set), you could have believed that the film was set 500 years ago. I know that's kind of the point of the film, the massive culture shock Japan received post war, but I've never realised just how deep it was. Well worth watching anyway.

I also watched Rocky Balboa. Dire tosh. Nuff said.

Almost

Hyper Poster
Red Eye

I love thrillers. And this frankly wasn't one. I really just didn't care for Lisa enough(Even though I love Rachel McAdams) and the fear wasn't there for me. Mostly because the 2 people in danger...Lisa's dad and Keefe we really didn't know or care about.

SpoilerBasically the plot was...she was catching a flight back to Miami and this guy (weird looking and would never even have a chance with Rachel McAdams) starts talking to her in the airport and what do you know? He sits next to her on the plane! As soon as they take off, he tells her that his business is her...and she gets scared. Then he tells her all she needs to do is make the call to switch Keefe (Some high up guy that we still have no idea what he does or who he is) to a different room. So basically this whole drama could've ended if she just made the ****ing call. What a moron...I'll leave the rest of the movie but it is really predictable at the end.Spoiler

Overall: 3/10

Tony

Hyper Poster
I went to see Licence to Wed today because I already have seen all the good films out at the moment and the only other films were kiddie films. Anyways it was good with a good few funny bits and was better than expected but it's very predictable.

Oh well it was good but not great so 7/10.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I saw Rush Hour 3 yesterday and I really enjoyed it. There were some moments where me and my friends cracked up so it's definitely worth a watch.

8/10

Tony

Hyper Poster
I watched Blades of Glory on DVD last night. It was pretty good and was funny. I thought it would be longer though but stil a great film.

9/10

stiggy

Roller Poster
Well managed to get some time to watch EVAN ALMIGHTY which i've wanted to see for a while and i was very disappointed. I knew what the story was about beforehand , and with Steve Carell in it i thought it would be packed with joke's but it wasn't and there was no real funny parts either , well apart from the animal's and the dancing on the credit's at the end. But that didn't make it a good film!

What a waste of hour and half. 5/10

If you find repeated animal poop joke's amusing then give it a go but if not avoid it. :D

NEXT FILM WHICH I NEVER HEARD OF IS...... ROOM 1408 with Samual L Jackson and John Cusack. Keep you posted!

Tony

Hyper Poster
I went to the cinema AGAIN today which is the 3rd time in a week. This time I went to see Rush Hour 3 because I saw everything else thats worth watching. It was better than expected and was pretty funny. I dont remember much of the first though but overall was pretty good.

8/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
stiggy said:
NEXT FILM WHICH I NEVER HEARD OF IS...... ROOM 1408 with Samual L Jackson and John Cusack. Keep you posted!

I think we had a brief chat about that somewhere else (CF I mean, not me and you :lol: ).

It's based on a short story by Stephen King, I think from his collection - Everything's Eventual, but it may have been another.

I thought that the story was pretty unremarkable, so I've got pretty low hopes for the film to be honest. Another "Secret Window, Secret Garden".

peep

CF Legend
^1408 isn't out till the 31st over here, so still a little wait to go. I think it looks ok but I won't get too excited over it, probably see it though.

I'm hoping to get to see the film Waitress at some point, I believe its already been released but not on a major scale, hmm, will have to track this one down like Paris, je t'aime :p

Rich Bacon

Roller Poster
Almost said:
Red Eye

I love thrillers. And this frankly wasn't one. I really just didn't care for Lisa enough(Even though I love Rachel McAdams) and the fear wasn't there for me. Mostly because the 2 people in danger...Lisa's dad and Keefe we really didn't know or care about.

That film well made me jump!! The bit with the door in the house, jees, I nearly had a heart attack!!

Watched Secret Window with Johnny Depp the other night and thought it was brilliant. Very creepy.

Tony

Hyper Poster
I saw Hostel last night for the first time. It was gory but I thought there would be alot more. It was alright, I want to see 2nd one.

7/10

A

Anonymous

So I went to see the Bourne Ultimatum last week. If you've seen the first two, this one wraps up the story line nicely. Overall its a great movie however it suffers from the 'shaky camera' syndrome I've noticed over the last few years. You know what I'm talking about, the whole shaking the camera during an action scene to make it look like more is happening than actually is. This got so bad at one point a friend of mine couldn't watch the screen because it was making him ill (no joke).

Slayed

Hyper Poster
I saw Bourne Ultimatum too, it was alright but the plot was pretty shallow, and had some huuuge coincidences/improbables in it which was a bit of a cop-out.

Get the feeling they've basically stretched a decent story out over 3 films with some good action scenes. And since when did Bourne actually become indestructable?

I LOVED the fight sequence though! And Paul Greengrass is a decent director, (compare and contrast with Michael "IT GO BOOOM" Bay *spits*), even if he did overdo the shakycam on this one!

A

Anonymous

^^ I just saw that yesterday and I was thinking the same things. 8/10