What's new

"Now Showing"

^ I would NEVER trust IMDB's rankings.. For a start the Simpsons movie is on there, and it's above 2001: A Space Odyssey? Lame voters.

Yeah, IMDB can sometimes be spot on, but can sometimes be extremely off, like in this case. I thought the movie was good but does it deserve to get a ranking in the top 100 movies ever made? Absoloutely not.

Richie, I have to say I didn't really like that movie. It was okay but it seemed kind of dull compared to the first one. Also, my first time seeing the first one, I thought the whole "I'm upstairs" thing, and "have you checked the children" kind of freaky, but seeing it in the remake wasn't as good. I loved the house in the newer version, though!

Tony

Hyper Poster
^I thought it was a good film when I saw it a while ago but it took to long to get to the chasing and stuff and did'nt last as long as I thought but it was still a good film.

Richie

Hyper Poster
I loved the bit where the evil phone guy says "I want your blood... all over me" and then the girl holds the phone away with that disgusting look on her face as if to say "EWWWWWWW!". LMAO that was so cheesy&funny.

I haven't seen the original. I'll have to check that out sometime :D

peep

CF Legend
Everyone talks about seeing Simpsons etc and then I come along and tell you about the best film ever which none of you will ever see. The film I'm talking about is Paris, Je T'aime.

Its a very hard film to describe (what indie film isn't?) because it is a collection of lots of shorts made by different directors around the World about love in Paris. Most of the stories are hilarious, for example my favorite one made by the coen brothers which stars the amazing Steve Buscemi. This short is by far my favorite out of the lot as its just so funny and you just have to love the evil French kid.

One of my other favorite shorts was the one made by Wes Craven which was just nice, it wasn't scary, its just about the supernatural (I suppose you could call it that). It has a very heartwarming ending too.

Some of the shorts were like WTH but were still enjoyable to watch. For example, the one about the mime is hilarious but it makes no sense what so ever. Another one that didn't make much sense was the Sin City comes to Paris (not actually called that, just my nickname for it) one which stars Elijah Wood. Its very weird and yet I strangley wanted to see more. That seemed to be a very re-ocurring thing throughout the movie, I wanted the shorts to keep on going. like the short made by director Gus Van Sant, it just leaves you hanging on to the edge of your seat, you really want to find out what happens, so annoying.

I think thats also something I love about this film though is that some parts make you think, most make you lol, some make you cry and some are just stunning to look at yet they all have their own style and somehow come together to form one amazing film that makes you want more.

My new number 1 film, 5/5.

P.S. USA and half the World got its release last summer yet the UK only got it this year and its got great staying power considering its small release, its already been at selected cinemas for 4 weeks. It is so worth the wait though, so if you can, go see it!

Tony

Hyper Poster
I haven't seen the original

There is an origional?

Anyways, I went to see Transformers last night at last minute. We would'nt have made the Simpsons and it was booked out so we went to Transformers because it got good reviews.

I'm not into or ever was into Transformers but the film was absolutly brilliant. It's a long film, around 2 and a half hours but does'nt get boring. Lots of action from start to finish and what made the film so great is that it was really funny aswell as full of action and everyone in the cinema was laughing out loud a good few times throughout the film.

It is definatly the best film I have seen in a long time and is by far the best film so far this year after the disapointment of Spiderman 3, PotC3 and Shrek 3 etc.

It is one of the best films I ever saw, everyone in the cinema was amazed how good it was and were saying it's brilliant after. I'm glad I went to see it instead of the Simpsons. 10/10

There is an origional?

Yep, here is the link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080130/

Anyway, I watched Stir Crazy last night which is an older film made in like, 1980 or something with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. I absoloutely love those two together in films, I personally think they're great.

As for the actual movie, well it was a bit dull in some spots especially the end which seemed to drag out, but the parts that were meant to be funny were extremely funny, and at one point I actually laughed so hard I started crying. If anyone has seen it, it was the part on the mechanical bull.

Overall I'd give it 7.5/10!

peep

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Anyway, I watched Stir Crazy last night which is an older film made in like, 1980 or something with Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. I absoloutely love those two together in films, I personally think they're great.

I think See no evil, hear no evil is so much better than Stir Crazy, its Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor at their best. Btw, Stir Crazy was released in 1980.

Today I saw The Simpsons.

Hmm, there was a LOT of hype around this film and I was a bit cautious about going to see it. So what did I actually think of it? It is definatly OVERRATED, peeps are getting excited over not much. From all the reviews I read I was expecting to see a comedy with lots of jokes not in the trailers, oh how wrong was that. Probably the funniest bit was the spiderpig scene yet I wasn't able to laugh at it when I saw the film because I had already laughed at it when I saw the trailer everytime I went to the cinema. It just felt like a normal episode of the Simpsons that had been extended badly. I was a bit confused about Bart as the story with him and Flanders has been done before in an episode (not as dragged out but definatly been explored before).

Well I won't keep blabbing about everyones favorite film this summer but there is definatly one word that describes this film....OVERRATED!

Rating: 2.5/5

Tony

Hyper Poster
Probably the funniest bit was the spiderpig scene yet I wasn't able to laugh at it when I saw the film because I had already laughed at it when I saw the trailer

When I saw the trailer for that in the cinema I could'nt stop laughing. I dont like when films do that though, give away to many funny bits in adds etc.

Oh thanks, I never knew there was an origional.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I watched Simpsons Movie today also. I thought it was quite good but doesn't live up to its expectations.

There were some pretty funny parts about 6 or 7 which I will remember in total.

I found it quite strange though considering it was NOTHING like what you would expect on your average Simpsons episode (Especially seeing Barts little yellow Penis).

I rate it 3/5

I think See no evil, hear no evil is so much better than Stir Crazy, its Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor at their best. Btw, Stir Crazy was released in 1980.

I agree, I think See No Evil, Hear No Evil is way better. Can't beat "Fuzzy wuzzy was a woman", if you remember that part.

However, I think they're great in films together, and I thought that Stir Crazy was pretty decent even if it wasn't as good as See No Evil, Hear No Evil.

I agree about the Simpsons Movie being overrated, but it wasn't too bad! There were still a lot of funny parts but I didn't laugh out loud at Spider Pig because I had seen it in commercials.

Almost

Hyper Poster
Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Sucked. 3/10, if I'm generous.

The Simpsons Movie

Awesome. Much funnier than the actual show. 9.5/10

The Simpsons Movie

Awesome. Much funnier than the actual show. 9.5/10

I agree with that 100%. The older episodes of the Simpsons use to be really funny, but the more recent episodes, I'm lucky if I even laugh once during the whole thing. The producers and stuff of the Simpsons Movie and the actual show claim that the reason why the shows have been lacking recently is because they were working so hard on the film, so hopefully in coming seasons the humour level in the television episodes will go up.

I agree that the movie was way funnier than the recent episodes, definately.

Almost

Hyper Poster
^Its funnier the 2nd time. I found it hilarious the 2nd time.

I just wish the movie was longer than an hour and 10 minutes. Thats hardly longer than 2 episodes. It felt like an episode, which is sad.

I just wish the movie was longer than an hour and 10 minutes. Thats hardly longer than 2 episodes. It felt like an episode, which is sad.

Oh man, I thought it was an hour and a half. No wonder my little cousin was complaining that it was so short! Then again, people these days seem use to the fact that movies are typically two hours or more, so I found it pretty nice that I didn't have to sit there for that long.

At least it was worth my frickin $9.95. Dumb, expensive movie ticket prices. And another $10 for food.

peep

CF Legend
Hmm, well one is back from a day of movies at one of the local multiplexes.

First up was Transformers

I'm still very undecided about this film, as I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was the best film of the day. Shia LeBouf (sp?) was very good in it, can see why Spielberg is using him in pretty much all of his next projects (including Indy IV). The transformers looked amazing and the way they moved etc was great, very well done. Isn't it strange that we have to thank a car advert to bring this film into realisation.

Hmm, I'll rate it 3.5/5

The next film I saw was Hairspray

This film was expected to be a flop by pretty much everyone (including its studio) and now its one of the biggest hits of the summer with great staying power, the showing I was in was sold out! In a way its quite ironic as the lead character isn't expected to get where she wants but she does. I thought everyones performance in the film was fantastic (including Travolta). I thought the film was fun, lively and exciting. I loved the way it began too, straight into song, which is what a musical needs. I've found with previous transfers from stage to screen to be a bit, well, empty and slow but I felt this film's director knew how to adapt it well and somehow found a way to make really energetic and exciting.

Loved this film, my pick from the three 4/5

Last one was Harry Potter and the order of the pheonix

Well after seeing the trailers I was really excited about seeing this film, lots of hype surrounding it too. But I think I went in with my expectations too high. It was still good, very enjoyable. Radcliffe is definatly improving with each film it has to be said. Hmm, like Transformers my mind is still not fully decided about this film,

I'll give it another 3.5/5

I may edit these reviews as I havn't really had time to think about each film fully.

Richie

Hyper Poster
I went to go see The Simpsons Movie at the cinemas tonight. (I love orange wednesdays :))

It was quite good. There were quite a few laughs in it, but also quite a few bits where they were just trying TOO hard.

I'd give it a 7/10.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
I thought the Simpsons Movie was fantastic. It had a good plot and it is funnier than recent episodes, as stated above. I think i was lauging every 5 minutes.

Mike

Giga Poster
I've also seen the Simpsons Movie recently as well, so here is my long, detailed review of it:

It felt like a glorified episode.
Funny in places, like the episodes.
Not-so-funny in places, like the episodes.
Unxplained randomness in places, like the episodes.
Not really long enough to be classed as a film, like the episodes.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Just got back from Transformers and I've been extremely entertained!

It's a terrible film really, but just so ridiculous it's really enjoyable.
It was reminiscent of I-Robot for advertising various products though, numerous Apple logos, the entire GM range of cars, Panasonic, Cisco Systems, Nokia... was it a G-Star Raw top Sam was wearing?

Anyway, yeah, it's was fun, and brought back a few childhood memories of playing with the toys (I'd completely forgotten about Bumblebee, but Starscream was the bitch I remembered him to be!

I'm glad I saw that in the cinema instead of the Simpsons anyway.

Oh, and Bumblebee should BLATENTLY be a Corvette for god sake. It's a yellow Chevrolet, do the right thing and make it a 'Vette damn you!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm with Martyn on this one. Transformers was 2 hours of pure entertainment, and no pretense towards storyline, charactisation, or anything.

Excellently directed action scenes, pieced together with bits of dire story they glance over to get to the next action scene ASAP!

Superb stuff. It's rare directors are brave enough to try and get away with such a completely shallow film.

Pity about the company really, let the film down ;) :p