What's new

"Now Showing"

nealbie

CF Legend
Ok......... Pocahontas

Exactly the same as Avatar, but doesn't make me feel like my optician has left the blue tinted frame on my face - plus the music's fab!

;)

kimahri

CF Legend

I <3 play.com

Yeah it was just as enjoyable as the imax thingy. I think my nana enjoyed it as well.

peep

CF Legend
Saw 3 more films at the weekend...

It's a wonderful afterlife

I found it to be an enjoyable little film with some humorous moments here and there. It's nothing special and would say it's a mix between a Carry on film (without the innuendo) and a Bollywood flick. Meh, was mediocre.

Rating: 3/5

Centurion

This is the new film from Neil Marshall (writer/Director of dog soldiers and the descent). It's an ok film, brilliant if you love an action with little brains and plenty of blood and guts. Eating the contents of a deer's stomach is not for everyone.

Rating: 2/5

Date night

I was really looking forward to this film, Tiny Fey and Steve Carrell are hilarious. I found most of the best parts from the first half of the film were in the trailer so it wasn't as funny but it does get even better as it goes on. Even the out-takes in the credits were side-splitting funny. So a very funny film, just a shame the trailer ruins half of it.

Rating: 4/5

Ollie

CF Legend
This film looks quite twisted.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvuopBG7tBc&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]
Although for some reason I'm curious to go and see it.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
^Lol... "100% Medically Accurate"...

The fact that it also says 'First Sequence' makes it rather obvious it will have an open ending so sequels can occur...

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas last night. I'm teaching the book to a couple of my classes, so thought I'd give the film a watch as they'll probably end up watching it at the end of term.

Meh. I wasn't impressed at all. I'm not overly impressed by the book either, but it seems to be the "trendy" book amongst English departments these days.

I can't say I like how it basically sugar coats the holocaust, paints the Germans of the time as having no idea what was going on and, essentially, with the film version at least, turns the Nazi family into the victims.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ Sounds pretty good, I'll add it to my Lovefilm list.

nealbie

CF Legend
The Boy in Striped Pyjamas is a VERY good twist on the common conception of the Second World War and the Nazi regime.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's good for what it sets out to do.

That Human Centipede movie looks pretty nuts.. I'll probably give it a go.

And yah, I have to agree with the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. I mean, I enjoyed it, but it wasn't amazing or anything, simply because the relationship development was severely lacking, I found.

Might rent Lovely Bones in the upcoming days.

marc

CF Legend
Well I did write a review of Saw 6 but pressed the back button and lost it :(

I really cannot be bothered to type it in again so will sum it up quick.

Let down, badly filmed poor sound no need for the 7th. The traps were good but the story was just far to easy to work out. Its probably the worst one yet tbh just made for the sake of making it.

5/10

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Neal said:
The Boy in Striped Pyjamas is a VERY good twist on the common conception of the Second World War and the Nazi regime.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but it's good for what it sets out to do.

Yeah, when I read it at first I thought it was (mostly) really good, and when I realised what was about to happen at the end, it really was an "Oh **** " moment. However, when I sat down and thought about it a bit more, it kind of made me a bit angry. It only really "works" on an adult level when you know just how unbelievably awful Auschwitz was. As a kids book, I find the "sugar coating" of it really inappropriate.

Anyway, this is a movie thread...

Looking at the film, and trying to separate it from the book, I have to agree with Taylor. The characters, apart from perhaps the mother, were just really flat and uninspiring.

Dave

CF Legend
Watched Spiderman 3 this evening.

Was a convoluted and messy film. Some really hideous moments of acting and silly comedic moments in the middle of action sequences.

4/10

The Lovely Bones

I knew I would like it from the time I watched the previews, and I wasn't wrong. It wasn't the most amazing movie I've seen, mind you, but it was still quite good. The characters are likable, and believable, and they storyline is decent.. It really makes you think.

8.5/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Went to see Date Night last night. It was ok. It was mildly entertaining, with some good laugh out loud moments in it, but many of the jokes had been seen in the trailer, so were not funny. The scene with the black cab driver had me laughing so much...I think I embarrassed myself as I was laughing quite loudly and profusely through the 5 or so min scene. Probably the best part of it.

The ending I felt was a bit naff. Understandably, it had to end somehow and this was a simple option, but it just felt like a massive anti-climax.

Overall, it was ok.

7/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Went to see How to train your Dragon 3D last night.
Wasn't too sure how much I'd like it by watching the trailers but the film was superb. The animation was great and Toothless was really cute. It was quite predictable though. Easily the best Dreamworks animation I've seen though.
9/10

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Iron Man 2

Great film again, just as good as the first one even with a lack of Jeff Bridges...

Robert Downey Jr. was excellent, as well as Rourke (who wasn't in it enough), Rockwell (who was brilliant), and Samuel L. Jackson (who was his usual awesome self)...

Scarlett Johansson <3

All in all, good bit of fun, fewer gags this time round and maybe slightly muddled but tbh, I didn't notice much...

8/10

nadroJ

CF Legend
^I saw it last night and fell asleep, thank god I didn't pay to see the damn thing. Best thing about it was Scarlett Johansson <3