What's new

"Now Showing"

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Watched Bedtime Stories earlier. It was good family fun, nothing special, hardly very amusing, nice for families...you know, stuff that tries to cover up the fact I hardly enjoyed it...

6/10

Sean_Rohan

Mega Poster
ciallkennett said:
Watched Hot Fuzz last night. First time I've seen it all the way through, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was funny, had a decent enough plotline...however, I felt the ending was a bit drawn out, and many of the action scenes (while good) lacked something, I don't quite know what.

But good film.

8/10

I do think that's the point of the movie film... mundane British modesty.

...Watched Falling Down: Michael Douglas, Robert Duvall.
It's a film about what happens when a man is fed up, he won't stand for the crappy hand that he has been dealt any longer, and just wants to go home.
It's a overly exaggerated, yet plausible, depiction of what could happen if a man is pushed too far...

I didn't really think the movie was any good really, and nobody agrees with me on that. Oh well.

3/10

peep

CF Legend
Watched Planet 51 on Blu-ray.

I love this film even though it's simple, predictable and the animation is meh. I find it amusing, I want one of those little robots as its so cute and cool.

Rating: 3.5/5

Watched Inglorious Basterds on Blu-ray.

Fantastic film, one of Tarantino's best films (still can't beat Pulp Fiction or Reservoir dogs). The performances are excellent and the story is awesome. Just an excellent, well made film.

Rating: 5/5

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
To join the crowd, I went to see Kick-Ass last night.

I wasn't really sure what to expect, but it certainly wasn't that. The film was great, I really liked it. The plot was fairly good and I thought it was well executed. The thing that really made this film for me was the great combination of gore and comedy. Don't get me wrong, it was very bloody, but in the same way that Hot Fuzz is bloody. It felt like cartoon gore. Given a more sinister plot I could imagine some bits of it being quite... intense. Having said that, the gore was well used and there were some absolutely classic moments. I can see why this film has been such a success.

It was a really cool film and I really enjoyed it. Not one of the best I've ever seen, but it was good. I put it on the same mantle as Anchorman. Really good, but not quite the top tier.

8/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
We went to see Whip It, the new Ellen Page (<3) film directed by new-to-directing Drew Barrymore. It was ok. The plot seemed a little bland nearer the beginning, and it jumped too into the skating without focussing as much on her life beforehand. It wasn't laugh-out-loud funny, but it did amuse at times. I felt it was very cliché though, which was disappointing.

Ellen Page though looks even hotter than ever <3 Reminds me of a former friend who fancied the hell out of me...how gutted I am that I didn't say yes now...

It was ok.

7/10

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
How so? All they need is a consenting adult to be able to watch it. Ratings aren't legally binding in America - you can take a young child to an R rated film if you really want to.

Saw The Ghost (Writer) on Friday.

Was looking forward to seeing this film - The Pianist is one of my favourites, and I was curious to see as to how this film would turn out. I've not read the book, and so can't comment on how well it's been translated, but it worked just fine as a film.

The comparisons to Hitchcock are pretty true - the film had a lovely ability to make scenes suddenly go cold, and the characters you once trusted perhaps shouldn't be. It does seem a tad long, though.

It has an old-cinema sensibility about it. Each shot is long and deliberate, exposition is slow and there's little actual action. Tension builds up near the end and doesn't really amount to much, and it does sag a little in the middle when thing's start turning for the worse. Very. Slowly.

The acting is all pretty excellent - there's no question as to who Brosnan is playing, the plot concerning Human Rights, Iraq and illegal wars aside. The music's also not bad; nothing fabulous and Desplat is hardly stretching himself with it, but it certainly adds that creep factor when human-filtered-food hits the fan.

It's very different to recent films, and I'd go watch it for that alone. Like I mentioned earlier, it has an old-cinema style to it, and it's very refreshing. Doesn't quite have the punch you'd expect of it, but fun nonetheless.

Jer

Strata Poster
Ollie said:
So no Americans have seen Kick Ass yet?

I'll be the first because I just to happened to see Kick Ass and it was bad ass. I loved the action, the story, the characters, THE VIOLENCE. While the movie may have had a few flaws including some cheap special effects, and a couple parts that were just, so unrealistic it bothered me. the basis was very much like Watchmen (my favorite movie/book) involving powerless people dressing as heros, and well, kicking ass. As well in recent memory I've never seen a movie with a villain that was so evil, disgusting, and disturbing. Really and intense flick, violence, and gore dont very tastefully and never overdone. I'd recommend seeing the movie to anyone to judge for yourself.

9/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Ploddish said:
How so? All they need is a consenting adult to be able to watch it. Ratings aren't legally binding in America - you can take a young child to an R rated film if you really want to.

Precisely - why would you want to take a child to a film which could possibly contain very strong language, explicit sex scenes and extreme violence? Actually, I just realised this is America...maybe then..

kimahri

CF Legend
ciallkennett said:
why would you want to take a child to a film which could possibly contain very strong language, explicit sex scenes and extreme violence?

Why not? They're going to end up watching stuff with that anyway.

Bad Lieutenant

It was a very strange movie, and I'm not usually keen on action, but I quite enjoyed it. It was different, and Nicholas Cage did a pretty good job with the role.. It also wasn't terribly confusing!

7/10

Snoo

The Legend
Boondock Saints 2

Saw this a few days ago but forgot to mention it.. great sequel to the first but failed to live up to expectations as the original is one of my favorite movies of all time. Still, good film.

8/10

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Went to see Cemetery Junction last night. I'd seen quite a bit about it the last few months, and I wasn't expecting too much from it, but knew it was something worth watching. It was as I expected, witty, amusing, contained a hot female...good times. Well written and directed by Gervais and Merchant, quite impressed.

8/10

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Got home early today and rewatched Mommie Dearest. It's fantastic for all the wrong reasons.

I LOVE Joan Crawford, and hated the book (Mommie Dearest) that her ungrateful bitch of a daughter wrote about her after she died.

However.

Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford in the movie version is appallingly brilliant. It's so completely over-the-top, camp, histrionic trash. It's amazing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjRaU8hRVJs[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
Ollie said:

At last!!!! Pixar have one of the best film release calenders around too, 2012 is going to be epic, I mean two Pixar films in one year? I don't think I'll be able to cope with all the excitement :D

Anyways, I need to start catching up with the latest releases. This started this evening after work. First up was Repo men.

Stars Forrest Whittaker and Jude Law as repo men in the future who repossess your mechanical organ if you cannot afford to keep paying the monthly bills. Interesting idea and it actually works. Near the beginning of the film I kept thinking how the story of this is going to evolve and then 'bam' and it gets epic. The twist at the end was also genius however I felt like the ending became a little bit of a mess after revealing such a great twist. Meh, little quarries for a good film. Maybe I enjoyed it because my expectations were so low? Meh.

Rating: 3/5

Second film of the evening was Cemetery Junction

This is the new film from Gervais and Merchant. It's a great film with some awesome performances in there and the direction is actually very fitting and they seem to have captured the feel of the 70s (not like I'd know) really well. The story is a bit meh and at times is more predictable than a cat being scared of a hoover, but this really doesn't make it a bad film and with some typical Gervais comedy thrown in for good measure there is never a dull moment. Recommend to anyone who understands British humour.

Rating: 4/5