What's new

"Now Showing"

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
^ I saw it on Wednesday (as well as Princess and the Frog, which is AMAZING. Been listening to the soundtrack for hours and hours on Spotify).

There's some utterly wonderful stuff in the film. Firth is about as far away from his usual typecast self as I've seen him. He gives off this fantastic sad vibe throughout the film, and really hurts you for laughing at the funny bits :p

If only one Oscar was to be given to the film (the film itself has had several nominations, including one for the score) though, I'd give it to the cinematographer. There are more fabulous little moments in this film than I could count, all of it giving off this almost dream-like sense of emptyness that George feels, with the screen almost devoid of colour when he's sad, and filling up quietly when he gets reminded of what makes him happy.

I was also very impressed by the music, done by what appears to be a total unknown. Here's a sample.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJSjxC6sn2g[/youtube]

Most intellectually stimulating film I've seen in ages, and definitley worth the price of a ticket or four.

peep

CF Legend
Caught Richie Rich on TV yesterday.

I love this film, just so much fun.

Rating: 4/5

Watched The big Lebowski

Such a bizarre film yet it's gripping and fun. Jeff Bridges is awesome and I think it's John Goodman's best performance. However it's not my favourite Coen brother's film, that goes to Fargo.

Rating: 4/5

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Right, I finally got to see The Lion King this weekend. I'd just like to say two things before I put my views on it: 1) It's MY opinion. Please respect it and don't say that I am wrong. 2) I will be watching it again, for reasons I will explain.

Right, now we've done that...

It was disappointing. Granted, I was half pissed and had everybody else singing and quoting the whole film, but I really couldn't see why people made a fuss about it. It wasn't sad, it wasn't that epic, and I felt a bit 'meh' afterwards.

For these reasons, I shan't be rating it yet, but will watch it once again on my own with no people to sing or interrupt..or fire alarms to interrupt as well :p

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

BAFTAs tonight. As a film student, this excites me very muchly :)

nealbie

CF Legend
To be fair, he said we were allowed to sing - and Ciall was singing along too!

I'm not going to blame the Germans on this one, but instead I shall place responsibilty on Martyn and Peter.

What upset me was, even before the alcohol, he called the opening "rubbish" - I think Ciall hated it from the outset. BOO! :p

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
As I said, I shall watch again. It was kinda hard to watch with the amount of people we had. I didn't mind the singing, I had been hearing the songs in Peter's car for over a year, so knew them myself.

The opening wasn't that spectacular, but it was on VHS. I shall watch it in HD on youtube sometime in the near future and give a (hopefully) better review :)

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
^I actually just finished watching TLK :) I have the DVD (since I lost the VHS) and actually forgot about that song. I...actually don't mind it!

Still, seen the film a million times but it just never gets old, I still consider it the best film ever made. Perfect animation, flawless voice acting (Whoopie Goldberg as Shenzi = win!), touching storyline and fantastic songs. Oh, and it has hyenas, so that's always a plus point for me.

Without fail, deserves the same marks that I gave it after seeing it in the cinema 16 years ago: 10/10 :p

Dave

CF Legend
Well 6 BAFTA's for The Hurt Locker, I think that is well deserved.

Great film showing the life and death situation soldiers face in current wars.

Ollie

CF Legend
Watched House on Haunted Hill. Well I say watched I was on the computer with the telly on.
The section where the Incredible Hulk at IOA crashed was hilarious so I posted it in the 'LOL' topic. The rest of the film was pretty darn good. Some excellent shots and scenes and some of the effects are great for a film from the last century.
Not going to rate it as I wasn't watching it properly or following the story but I'm interested to see it again now. :)

Ollie

CF Legend
Also forgot to mention Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer was on TV last night.
It was ****. Took ages for something and when it did it wasn't that impressive.
3/10

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I watched a few films over the weekend. I can't be arsed to do a full review for each, so a quick short sentances.

Bangkok Dangerous
Nic Cage is a hitman and has four jobs in Bangkok. Not too bad, very easy going. Nothing special. Worth watching if nothing else is on but you won't watch it again.

12 Rounds
A policeman's girlfriend is captured by a criminal sent down by the said policeman. In a Saw/Die Hard 3/Speed mixture style, the polcieman has to complete 12 tasks to win her back. Ideal, mindless, well-paced action with plenty of over-the-top explosions, intentsity and farfetchness. Well worth a view for mindless fun.

Goodnight, and Good Luck
This was my attempt at watching a grown up film. It's a poncy film about a US sentator and TV company fighting it out over communism. I found it really boring and difficult to keep up. Perhaps I wasnt in the mood. Worth watching if you want to fall asleep and are not concerned about watching it all.

As Good As It Gets
OCD sufferer is an arsehole but he ends up interacting with his gay neighbour and falling in love with a waitress. It's easy going with SUPERB characterisation. It's a bit rom-commy but I found it watched it through without checking how long was left. A must see!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ugh, ok, just for you Neal, here's the Ian's Does It Smell of Wee? Scale:

Bangkok Dangerous
The unremarkable wee you have just before going to bed sober.

12 Rounds
The excitable, forcefull wee you have after getting through airport security. So relaxing and satisfying.

Goodnight, and Good Luck
You're at a cinema and 10 mins into the film you need a piss and continue to do so throughout the entire film, feeling somewhat uncomfortable but you can't escape because you're in the middle of a row with fat people either side.

As Good As It Gets
A lovely relaxing, clear wee with no dribble or splashback.

Lain

Giga Poster
The Weather Man

Decent, especially for a Nic Cage fillum. Worth a watch.

The Hurt Locker

Pretty good, but massively overhyped. It was a bit of a let-down after everything I'd heard about it.

Up in the Air

Really good. A solid, original story. Clooney delivers, and there's an excellent supporting cast. (Jason Bateman & JK Simmons. <3)