What's new

"Now Showing"

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I found The Weather Man entertaining too. It took me a while to get into, but it was pretty good.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Last nights film was The Departed.

In a nutshell, it's all about cops trying to bring down a mafia gang. There's an undercover cop, a detective and a whole task force. The detective is an informant for the mafia. The undecover cop is (obviously) an informant for the police. The mafia boss is a FBI informant. So everybody is ratting on one another.

What I loved about this film were the twists - they came constantly. The goodies and baddies appeared to be changing face every few minutes.

Great pacing and acting - the only Matt Damon film I've enjoyed watching - and the last last 10 mins are brilliant, the plot just kept twisting!

On IDISOW?S, it's that fun wee you have where you try and sign your name with a piss jet on the back of a unrinal.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Few for me to review here...

Alien Vs Predator: Requiem

Brilliant base material, absolute gibberish story. Obvious, stupid, piss-poor contemporary cobble together of the best scenes of the previous films. Aliens are cool, Predators are cool. Together in a crap film, they're crap. 4/10

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Not seen this for years, I mean, like, twenty years. I was never that impressed with it to be honest. I never understood why it had such a fan base. However, I really enjoyed it - helped by the fact Minor_Furie and Madame_Furie also found it pretty funny. It's still not a brilliant film, but it's 100 times better than I remembered, and well worth the nostalgic re-visit. 8/10

Scooby Doo - The Mystery Begins
I wish I'd died before the first five minutes was up. Maxi-Minor_Furie loved it and wants to watch it again. With luck, I'll be crushed by a low flying Giraffe on the way home :( 3/10

Phantasm II
Revisiting my old horror faves recently. Phantasm II was one I used to love. So I kidnapped Minor_Furie and made him watch it. It's an odd film about two guys on a road trip following the trail of "The Tall Man". He's stealing bodies from towns across America. Where there aren't bodies - he's making them. It's a little surreal and off the wall (but less than the first; which is awful before you ask) - but also has some cool in it. The metal balls are awesome, as are the weapons they make up (and the chainsaw fight). It's got some of the cool and humour of Evil Dead II (Sam Raimi was an obvious influence - including a reference to him), but it's NOT as good.

It's a well made (for an 80's horror) and actually almost stands up to modern day scrutiny. It's aged comparatively little. Not the best horror ever, but it's a bit of fun - something a good horror should be! 7/10

Grey Gardens
Not watched it all yet, about halfway through. What a bizarre documentary. Not entirely sure what to make of it yet - but it's captivating... Got the recent "adaptation" to watch too (both were on More 4 last night).

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^GREY GARDENS IS AMAZING!

Little Edie is such a legend:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJBankObN0s[/youtube]

The adaptation's not too bad either; you get a lot of the back story of the two crazy old bitches.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Finally watched Irreversible the other day. It's probably the most shocking and disturbing film I've ever seen and I'm quite proud in saying I didn't flinch once. The violence and crimes against humanity portrayed are paralleled by no film I've ever seen and the interesting narrative made it even more interesting to watch.

However, I did feel that one scene in particular (those of you have seen it know which one I mean) went on far too long, I don't understand if it was trying to prove a point or just being mindlessly violent? A strange yet compelling piece of cinema, I recommend it if you're not easily bothered by excessive violence.

8/10

Ollie

CF Legend
^I've wanted to see that for a while now. Still need to try and find a copy of it somewhere.

My review. Today I went to the cinema to see what was on. Turned out it was a film I made. It was amazing. <3 :p

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Haha, as if you didn't know it was going to be shown... any chance of a CF special release?

Ollie

CF Legend
I'll see if I can get it onto Youtube or something. Although a couple of them were from the first year we were in college when we were noobs and crap. :p
Really shows how much you've progressed when looking back. :)

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Well, I would be informing you of A Single Man and my views on it at the moment, but we had to leave the cinema after 30 mins after the ceiling fell through (Well, a giant tile), narrowly missing people in the audience.

Everyone gasped, and panicked a bit, and soon after, we had the film stopped, we were informed by the assistant manager that we couldn't see the rest of the film and we had to leave the screen.

As Martyn was using his Unlimited card with Orange Wednesday, he couldn't really get a refund, which is silly. We got a get in free voucher each, which is pointless. That's the second time Cineworld has let us down :/

From what I've seen, Colin Firth defiantly deserved his BAFTA. Stunning performance. Good film so far, I wanted to see it all.

Ceiling collapse: 10/10

peep

CF Legend
^Sounds cool Ollie.

Ok, so last night I saw Crazy Heart.

Some people are saying it's basically The Wrestler but with a country singer, those people would be quite right and although I absolutely adored The Wrestler I think Crazy Heart is just that tiny bit better. Jeff Bridges is fecking phenomenal (as always) and Maggie Gyllenhal(sp?) is sexy and is excellent in every scene she is in. I just thought it was excellent, really well made and the songs are great. I highly recommend.

Rating: 4.5/5

Tonight I saw A Single Man.

Ok, so it's the first film from some sort of fashion guy called Tom Ford. Well, lets just cut to the chase, Tom Ford bored me. I couldn't wait for the credit roll. Yes it looked pretty (and I know that's all you need in the fashion World) but the Film World is different and you need a gripping story which is told well, there is a story (an average one) and it's told in the most boring fashion. Colin Firth just plays Colin Firth which isn't exactly a bad thing but he seemed awkward and un-natural in some scenes (that best actor BAFTA should have gone to Jeff Bridges, lets hope the Oscars don't make the same mistake). Everyone seems to be talking about the music? To be honest I didn't think it was that amazing and it was very overhyped. So yeah, I disliked this film a lot.

Rating: 1/5

big john

Mega Poster
iv had Irreversible for quite some time now but never watched it i really only got it cause the soundtracjk is by Thomas Bangalter which he is one half of daft punk so me being a massive daft punk fan had to have lol must go watch it now on my next day off

nealbie

CF Legend
Just finished watching 'Michael Schumacher's: Coulthard & Button vs. Kimi Raikkonen' with Richard (Stone Cold).

First of all, I have to say the casting was superb! Each actor really fit their role perfectly and executed it well (with the exception of Coulthard who was a bit wooden in the lead role, but that is to be expected :lol: ).

Being huge F1 fans, needless to say we were looking forward to this film with much anticipation and it didn't disappoint! It's only a fiver on play.com at the moment - an absolute bargain! I'd highly recommend it to anyone with a vague interest in motor racing.

Now, on to the film (potential spoilers here guys - you've been warned!) :p

It all started a bit too similar to it's predecessor 'Coulthard Forever' - but any chance to see the DC cave is one not to be missed. The car that the useless Scot would no doubt crash in turn 1 seemed a good upgrade on the last one (which he predictably trashed when he lost control whilst leading). However, Fangio was quick to point out that it wasn't likely to survive too long. Shockingly, it lasted the whole film! :shock:

The next scene introduced us to the main villian of the film - a suprisingly sober, Kimi Raikkonen as Mr. Freeze (he was supposed to be the 'Ice Man' but Max Mosely's budget cap on the film meant that they couldn't afford the rights to that name).

This point was also where we were introduced to Raikkonen's minions/henchmen. Played by Kovalainen, Salo and Rosberg - all suitably scandanavian and wished they were him (just not talented enough).

During the first confrontation it was the same old story, Coulthard and Button led from the start, only to fail right at the end when the pressure was on handing victory to Raikkonen - who placed his trophy in the conveniently sized slots on his laser with all of his other ones.

Moving on, we discovered the interesting dynamic between Dr Woodrue (Prost) and Pamela Isly (Barrichello), during which Prost develops amorous advances toward Barrichello - only to be rejected. Deeply hurt by this unforseen failure, in typical Prost fashion he attempts to kill his opponent.

During this scene, Prost weilds his Professor-like powers to create Bane (Montoya). The fiery Columbian will prove to be the main source of "rage" in this film (picking a fight with just about anyone and everything!). :twisted:

Back at DC Manor, we discover that Fangio is not currently under a clean bill of health. Failing to reach the door first in 30 years! Perhaps retirement looms for the old maestro? We are also introduced to Ralf Schumacher's character (later to be Batgirl). He plays no necessary part in the film, but as usual has benefited from his brother's position as Director. Button immediately falls in love with the younger Schumacher.

In a disastrous relapse of the 1989 Japanese Grand Prix - Prost finds that his attempts to kill his adversary have failed and Barrichello seemingly rises from the dead and kills Prost. Montoya then decides to join legions with the Brazilian in a South American 'moan-rage' relationship.

Next we go to the 'worst observatory building ever' - which has been built in the middle of the Gotham City Circuit. Where Coulthard and Button meet with Nigel Mansell (Murray Walker commentates). Barrichello then shows up and starts moaning at everyone, Montoya has other plans and decides havoc and rage is the order of the day. Not satisfied with Ralf Schumacher, Button also takes this opportunity to make a pass on Barrichello. But as normal, he is unsuccessful - having to resort to keeping his place (behind Coulthard). Whilst Coulthard undertakes in some shameless advertising of the main sponsor of the film - MasterCard (clearly the budget has suffered due to the tobacco ban).

A still t-total Raikkonen then makes an appearance to cool things off a bit. Personal driver, Takuma Sato (not content with the mess made in the museum at round 1) crashes through the wall; whilst his failed scandanavian henchmen unsucessfully try to quel some MontoyaRage!

Murray Walker signals the start of the 2nd race. Sato causes needless damage to the Gotham City Circuit, but it is ultimately Raikkonen who is victorious, with Coulthard and Button getting DNF's and it's a miserable DNS for Rubens Barrichello (whose advances on Raikkonen whilst on the grid have not gone unnoticed). As has Richard's admiration for Barrichello's legs! ;)

Random MontoyaRage follows this scene, don't worry, it soon becomes commonplace; and a continually moaning Barrichello is now claiming he's better than God! No change there then! :p

Lack of success (and points) from the first two races of the season leads to Button trying his hand at DTM with Ralf Schumacher. After an exciting race during which Lauda's sneaky plan to lay fireworks on the track blows up in his face and results in a DNF. Set for a podium each, Schumacher and Button both crash off on the final straight in bizarre fashion - both blaming each other no doubt.

In the mean time, Raikkonen is arrested for driving sober. But he is busted out by Barrichello, who is determined to get a team mate who he can pay off to lose to him! Montoya has PolicemanRage and then attempts to knock down Adrian Sutil (playing the Arkham Asylum Wall), but is unsucessful. He moves aside for Raikkonen, who executes a perfect crash resulting in retirement for Sutil and an end to his race winning ambitions. :roll:

Coulthard and Button turn up to thwart them, but it's too late! Coulthard also takes an interest in Barrichello's legs (Richard says, "I told you so!"). Not wanting to be upstaged by Montoya, Raikkonen partakes in some MansellRage and turns down his conveniently placed thermostat to extra cold. Montoya develops random CoulthardRage to compensate...

After winning, yet again! Raikkonen bathes in his victory. Meanwhile, Barrichello has stumbled across the Finn's plan to bring three-times champion Ayrton Senna back from the dead to be his teammate. Not wanting to be left in last place again, he pull's the plug and ensures that the talented Brazilian can't make a comeback.

Montoya's random SnowglobeRage, is followed by an equally random dinner date between Coulthard and Mika Hakkinen. It doesn't end well, as Hakkinen leaves prematurely never to return! Poor DC :(

Takuma Sato has obviously been sacked at this point, as we see Raikkonen and Montoya in the same car with no damage to the circuit or vehicle in sight. Or at least, you would have thought so. But he makes a return to proove that he's just as rubbish at firing a gun as he is at driving. He then crashes all on his own with no interference from anyone else, Raikkonen has had enough and decides to terminate his contract.

The cliff used for Arkham Asylum in earlier scenes is now recycled for the Observatory, which has mysteriously moved to the outskirts of the circuit. This is clear evidence of the Max Mosely Budget Cap ruining the continuity of the film, not to mention Eccelstone's useless location skills (he claims he was unable to negotiate a contract with the other mountain near to the circuit).

Montoya comes into his own during this scene, as he has ButtonRage AND SchumacherRage all at the same time - a brilliant effort! Coulthard then gets his own back on Montoya for forcing him to leave McLaren for Red Bull in 2005 and spites him! Resulting in a move to NASCAR and never again to be seen in the film!

Raikkonen (with the Championship already sealed) loses concentration as he can't be bothered anymore, allowing Coulthard to take a hollow end of season victory with Button 2nd and Ralf Schumacher 3rd. But it all ends in controversy when they line up for the first race of the new season when they turn up as a 3 car team on the grid - disqualification followed swiftly.

Overall, we were very impressed with the film. But the inconsistency in locations and the quite frankly rubbish effects budget loses it a mark. A firm 9/10 nonetheless. :)

• Directed by - Michael Schumacher

Produced by - Luciano Burti

Special Effects - Max Mosely

Location Supervisor - Bernie Ecclestone

Batman - David Coulthard
    Robin - Jenson Button
    Mr. Freeze - Kimi Raikkonen
    Poison Ivy - Rubens Barrichello
    Bane - Juan Pablo Montoya
    Batgirl - Ralf Schumacher
    Julie Madison - Mika Hakkinen
    Alfred - Juan Manuel Fangio
    Commissioner Gordon - Nigel Mansell
    Gossip Gerty - Murray Walker
    Dr Jason Woodrue - Alain Prost
    Freeze's Driver - Takuma Sato
    Freeze's Wife - Ayrton Senna
    Freeze's Henchmen - Heikki Kovalainen, Mika Salo & Keke Rosberg

...and introducing Adrian Sutil as 'Arkham Asylum's Wall'

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
Shutter Island was ****ing amazing! It almost wasn't at all what I was expecting to see. For some reason I thought it was going to be more of a horror about finding the extra patient and getting off the island. In the end,it was more like the movie The Others.
8/10

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
No Country for Old Men

Brillaint! Tense thriller with a really creepy psychopathic murderer!

Plot is simple - chap stumbles on a failed drug deal, takes the money and then tries to escape from the psychopath who wants his money.

I'm not really into thrillers but this changed my opinion on the genre. Some proper intense moments, brilliantly aided by some beautiful direction.

It is a bit of a slow burner but in a drip-feed sort of way.

On IDISOW?S, it's the desperate wee you have in a dingy alleyway whilst paranoid after smoking dope. Checking behind your shoulder, avoiding your shoes and then enjoying the satisfaction as you zip up your flies and walk away.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Glad you liked No country for old men Ian. It's a great film. I love the way you just can't quite get a handle on the film - it's slippery to watch. It's definitely not an easy watch, but it is worth it.

Well, I watched the equally high brow Wedding Singer last night. I saw it twice at the cinema (for shame) and I think this may be the first time I've seen it since (maybe a stoned watching on video many years ago?).

It's complete rubbish. Over the top, stupid but with some really good comedy moments. I hate Drew Barrymore which doesn't help - but her smug simpering fits her character here ,so it's okay.

Yeah, it's alright... 7/10 :)