What's new

"Now Showing"

kimahri

CF Legend
I like Watchmen as well. It made me read and after reading it gave me the same feeling I got about HL2 after playing HL.

peep

CF Legend
Lol, very late to the party there Ben. It was pants tbh, I might watch it again one day to see if it redeems itself, I doubt it. I think I did say it was amazing after seeing it at the cinema though, meh, I am a mega Indy fan, I was too hyped up to say anything bad about it at the time :p

I tried to watch Black Narcissus on TV earlier.

Wanted to see it for years but I kept getting interuppted, urgh. What I saw of it though was great, the cinematography was superb, just a really beautiful film to watch. Really want to get it on DVD or something so I can watch it properly (I didn't even get a chance to see the end :( ).

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ As much as I love history and know a lot about it, I hate when people complain about movies not being historically accurate. The thing is, they're movies.. It's almost like complaining that a sci-fi movie isn't realistic enough. I could see if it were a documentary on television that was suppose to educate people and it was not accurate, but it's a movie, and it's for entertainment..

The problem is though Taylor is that people DO believe these films are educational.

Let's face it, you bought the whole Lynch version of the Elephant Man - where the truth was nowhere near as depressing and sad.

I think you admitted that because it was a true story, it was even sadder than if it had been fiction. The reality is, it is pretty much fiction.

Ergo, you too have fallen for the lack of historical accuracy :)

Personally, I think that entertainment is priority, but you shouldn't just chuck history out of the window completely and essentially just make it all up. You have to have some foundation in fact.

It's why both Braveheart and The Patriot annoy me. Both change history to make the Brits look like a race of sadistic, pompous ****ers. While it's true, you could do it without changing history in the process ;)

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
Let's face it, you bought the whole Lynch version of the Elephant Man - where the truth was nowhere near as depressing and sad.

I think you admitted that because it was a true story, it was even sadder than if it had been fiction. The reality is, it is pretty much fiction.

Yeah, but, Lynch is allowed. :wink:

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
I see you've been discussing some Avatar. I was nonplussed until I read through these two reviews of the 20 minute clip people saw at Comic Con:

For the purists, both "spoil" the first 20 minutes, but it definitely sounds at least worth a watch for the absolute eye candy. It'll be a fun film to watch, not sure if it'll be a complete game changer though.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41793

BUT - I have mixed feelings about them leaving before AVATAR's 25 minutes screened. One, I was glad that we wouldn't have screams... But I really wish they had seen AVATAR, because the burgeoning relationship and romantic possibilities between Zoe Saldana's Neytiri and Sam Worthington's Jake Sully. It was so magical, so enticing and so powerful that it would have instantly transformed all of them into campaigners for the film. I honestly believe that.

Before Cameron took the stage - Fox's Tom Rothman took the stage with a prepared monologue delivered with the oddest most aggressive forcefulness that I've ever seen. It kinda came off as though he felt the LOUDER he was, the more awesome everyone would think he was. Instead, it was just sort of... odd.

Jim came out and the room was absolutely intimidated. You could feel everyone just kinda nodding their heads as Jim earnestly and with true conviction showed us what one of the richest true blooded awesome geeks on this planet was like. A small town boy from Canada - whose town was a fraction of the population of the room... that grew up devouring science fiction novels and thinking and dreaming about the possibilities of OUT THERE. And this is his dream of what is out there.

You can see it in every frame of the film. This is Cameron's dream - a dream he wishes to share with all of us. And frankly - it blew me away. Quint did a great job describing the blow by blow of it all, but to me - the magic of Pandora came to life the second that Sam's Jake had his consciousness transferred into his Na'vi body. When I was paralyzed below the waist - I spent 6 months trying to wiggle my toes - and the facial glee that his character has at being able to wiggle his toes. For a signal from his brain to his feet to actually work... and that reaction. I'll never forget the moment when I saw my toes twitch and begin to move. It is... amongst the most amazing moments of my life. And the wonder and awe he has at being able to stand, towering over his fellow humans, to walk, awkwardly at first, but to be able to move... effortlessly. Its a dream I've been working towards the past few years - and I can not wait to get there.

I loved the performance that was coming through in this character as he played with Pandora - but when Zoe's Neytiri became involved. My jaw... dropped. It is seriously one of the most wonderful and awe-inspiring images I've seen in years. I was watching a completely unfettered collective of imaginations realized in such a beautiful, cinematic and thrilling manner that I just was stunned.

This film will be a cultural marker I feel. You'll always have people that feel cooler than anything that others love, but this is pretty stunning work - and in many ways - Jim was showing us the small scenes. The character beats. Not the huge stuff. At least as I know it from the scriptment all those years ago.

In other news, I'm now very, very excited about District 9.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNcZCpbcifE&fmt=18[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNr5qdQN5q4&fmt=18[/youtube]

A few reviews, no spoilers in it though:

But before that, I got to see about 4/5ths of a great great great movie! It begins with a bit of doc introductory stuff that coaxed me into a sensation that this was going to be a reflective film. One that was assembled for South African TV, this was funny, horrifying and amazing to watch. The acting was top notch - and not done tongue in cheek. It just felt earnest and real.

Then... BAM! You are in the movie. And holy **** it was great. I'm not even sure where the transition happened between the two formats - but suddenly I became aware that I was in a straight forward narrative - and entranced. The effects work from Weta - and the use of those effects by Neill Blomkamp in the complete service of the story was breathtaking.

And: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41892

Don't forget the Comic Con panels!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD-y6pUh610[/youtube]

That was a long enough post, methinks.

Ben

CF Legend
^UGH.

I watched The Godfather today for the first time ever!

It may be the dullest movie I've ever seen in my life... :S

Lain

Giga Poster
I watched Run Fatboy Run today. Apart from the really cheesy American-style ending, it was pretty good.

Simon Pegg. <3

Sean_Rohan

Mega Poster
Ben said:
^UGH.

I watched The Godfather today for the first time ever!

It may be the dullest movie I've ever seen in my life... :S

Try Godfather 2? It's rated slighter higher than Godfather, it's got a lot more to it too - I doubt you'll change your mind but it is a movie worth watching... I personally think The Godfather is a near masterpiece.

Watched Blood Simple the other day, it's a very good movie. Very dated and it does drag a little (being a Coen brothers movie I suppose you expect that)
You can defiantly see the idea behind Fargo with this movie... a simple 'hit gone wrong' scenario.

It's alright and one of the better Coen films out there.

7/10

Lewis

Hyper Poster
I saw Bruno today...

I wasn't all that impressed by it, like other people said there are some and very few laugh out loud moments, but most of it feels like its trying too hard to be funny or that it's more cringeworthy than funny. I also didn't appreciate the scenes littered with swinging penises :lol:

3/5.

Well yeah, but it's true that there was a real guy who had that very deformity and died the way the guy died in the movie.. Which is the saddest part about it, really. So it is more sad than if it were 100% fiction :p .

Fantastic movie either way though.

And if people take movies like Pearl Harbour as being educational, they're silly (though, we did see it in History class one time, haha).

peep

CF Legend
Watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona on DVD last night.

Still love it. I noticed that a lot of shots were out of focus though, kinda weird, maybe it was intentional to help portray an emotion or it was just shoddy film-making.

Rating: 4/5