What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Gladiator was one of about 5 films I have actually TURNED OFF before it ends. It just bored me, I'd rather watch a Bratz movie.

I wasn't too keen on American Beauty, it was ok but I think it is very over hyped. Taylor, you'll probably love it.

Today was one of my cinema days.

Started off with Good.

I'm going to be really bias here as I knew the producer and someone in it. I really enjoyed it, apart from the last few scenes which for some reason I found hard to watch (seen worse in Schindler's list etc). Anyway there were some great performances in there, I thought Viggo Mortensen was brilliant in the lead role.

Rating: 4/5

I then watched Let the right one in.

I only heard good things about this film and I think it was hyped up too much. It is a great film and the actress playing the vampire was excellent, very rare you get that sort of performance out of a child actor. It was beautifully shot but there were times when the film's pace got too slow, too many moments where nothing happened.

Rating: 3/5

Last film today was In the loop.

I only watched a few episodes of The thick of it because I kept missing it. However when I did catch an episode I thought it was great, In the loop was also great. I haven't laughed out loud that much at the cinema in ages. I found it got a little weak towards the end but the scene where they work out a calculation on a kids toy was brilliant, that was worth the ticket entry alone. Coogan was a great little addition to the film too.

Ben

CF Legend
I want to see Let The Right One In so much >.<

Oh, and AB wasn't overhyped... it's pretty much perfection.

mrclam

Giga Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ What is it even about though? Like, I'm not even sure which genre it is or anything.

Its an artsy fartsy look at the monotomy of life.

Which, when you think about it.. life is already dull and monotonous enough - why go watch someone being dull and monotonousin a film?

made worse because you dont even get to see the blonde girls norks in it

EDIT: looked up how to spell "monotonous"

Dave

CF Legend
So another one of the borrowed DVD's, this time its Sean of the Dead

Now I disliked Shaun of the Dead for some reason, not sure why, only thing I can think of is just ignorance. So after really liking Hot Fuzz I thought I'd give it a re-watch.

I think its a good film, and has some really great qualities to it. Its very quick fire and slick which is brilliant as it makes the film flow really well. A great range of British actors in it as well as great comics like Dylan Moran, Reece Sheersmith etc. Only thing I think was bad was that they did try cram too many jokes into the last half of the film which is very hit and miss.

8/10

Good watch though, tis good to re-watch and pick up the movie references.

peep

CF Legend
Being a Bond fan an' all I went to the BFI IMAX Bond "all nighter". The event showed 4 Bond films which were digitally remastered and projected onto the IMAX screen digitally. There were half an hour gaps inbetween the films for refreshments and toilet use. The first film started at 23:35 and the last film finished at 09:10 this morning (why I'm online I don't know).

First up was Dr. No.

A great start to the evening, the first proper Bond film and still one of the best. It was a bit weird that the guy next to me kept singing that tune (#underneath the mango tree#), he ended up quoting lines throughout the event before they happened too, I think I got the wrong peep to sit next too :p

Then we had the ultimate classic, Goldfinger.

As soon as that music begins it sends shivers down your spine and with a character called Pussy Galore and a butler that throws his hat to chop peep's heads off you know it ain't ever going to get any better than this film.

Then it was On her Majesty's secret service.

This has never been one of my favourites, I think it's because I dislike Lazenby as Bond. Anyways the last time I watched it was years ago and to watch it again was almost like watching a new film. Somehow I enjoyed it more than I have before.

Last to be shown was The spy who loved me.

I watched this last year at a special digital screening but I really didn't mind seeing it again. Jaws has to be one of the best on screen bad guys ever and it has so many amusing/corny lines and yet they somehow work.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
American Beauty is one of my favourite films. It's less about the monotony of life, and more about the hidden beauty in things, and learning to slow down and enjoy the simple things in life we take for granted.

And it's awesome and the soundtrack makes me feel happy. Yes.

9/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
...other Oscar-bait crap like the Last King of Scotland and Slumdog.
Lol Ben, Slumdog is in no way Oscar bait! That's hilarious, I can't think of a more un-oscary film.

American Beauty is a stunningly put together film (especially for a debut), but I must admit I didn't feel anything for the characters and it only engaged me technically.

Gladiator is high-value tosh though. It's enjoyable, but it felt to me like everyone was chewing the scenery (Richard Harris excepted), and no-one did that better than Oliver Reed - "You sold me queer giraffes" is the best line ever! :lol:

I'm off to see Let The Right One In later. hope it's not *too* slow Peep!

Ben

CF Legend
Please. Something happy happens to a minority? It couldn't be MORE Oscar bait! "Oh, poor underprivileged, cry, cry, cry..."

I was supposed to see Let The Right One In tonight, I got ditched >.<

Lain

Giga Poster
I watched American Beauty after seeing people rave about it here.

I conclude that it is good.

It is my second favourite film with 'American' in the title.

nadroJ

CF Legend
^Good choice.

I sawThe Talented Mr.Ripley on Film4 the other night. I love this film but would love to read the book. Something for me to do at Uni I guess.

the_missus

Mega Poster
I watched 17 again on friday, not very funny and as I'm not a teenage straight girl nor a manical gay bloke I dind't see the big thing about Zac......entertaining enough but have had better ****s

peep

CF Legend
Went to see the comedy I love you, man earlier (yeah that's technically 5 films in one day at the cinema :p).

It was a lot better than I was expecting. There were some cringe moments but I think that was expected really. Despite this it was very, very funny. If you go to see it make sure you watch the clips during the credits.

Please. Something happy happens to a minority? It couldn't be MORE Oscar bait! "Oh, poor underprivileged, cry, cry, cry..."

I agree! Good movie and everything, but come on, they portray India in a terrible way first of all (yes I know there are slums but still), and the storyline really was NOT all that.

^If the first is anything but ... History X, I'm lynching you.

History X > American Psycho

Slayed

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I agree! Good movie and everything, but come on, they portray India in a terrible way first of all (yes I know there are slums but still), and the storyline really was NOT all that.
We were talking about it being "Oscar bait" though - which it isn't. Sorry, but in no way were the film-makers specifically positioning themselves for Oscar attention with this one.

Anyway, caught up with Let The Right One In last night, one of the slowest films I've seen in my life! By the time it finished I expected the polar ice caps to have melted.

It's all well and good substituting pace for texture and tone, but not at the expense of boring your audience to death. It's a shame as there were some good ideas in there, it took risks, the photography was good, the acting of the main kid was fine and some of the scenes were well staged. 5/10.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ben said:
No, Gladiator is terrible. I thought you disliked historically inaccurate films because you were so good at history, Dave? ;)

Plus, it's really, really dull and conceited. Pah. I pile it with other Oscar-bait crap like the Last King of Scotland and Slumdog.

Back to Gladiator. At the cinema, the opening battle scene is actually exceptionally good. It's got everything that a real battle has. The violence, the confusion and the adrenaline pumping. It's actually one of the best bits of any film ever :)

However, it does go rapidly downhill from there.