What's new

"Now Showing"

Dave

CF Legend
I've borrowed some DVD's from home to stave me through boring spell of work.
So first up is Gladiator!

So I re-watched the film as if I'd never seen it before and trtied to soak in the plot. I think its a really good movie and has the old epic feel to it. Especially with piece sets such as the Germania war scene and the Colosseum. The plot does move along at a good pace, with occasional scenes of finger wagging and shouting.
The acting in the film is top notch, some of the best performances in one film, the late Richard Harris making a dominating prescence as Marcus Arelius the roman emperor, Russel Crowe as Maximus, the late Oliver Reed as Proximo which is one of his best roles I think. I really like the cleverness it has, and also laugh at how people are outraged they apparently have 'neo-nazi' slogans and images in the film, when the Nazi's took most their ideas from the Romans.

But a really good film which was worthy of the oscars it won, shame the plot had a muddle in the middle.

8/10

Ben

CF Legend
No, Gladiator is terrible. I thought you disliked historically inaccurate films because you were so good at history, Dave? ;)

Plus, it's really, really dull and conceited. Pah. I pile it with other Oscar-bait crap like the Last King of Scotland and Slumdog.

Ben

CF Legend
^Yes. He can not act. Sounding like a smoker on your death bed and doing nothing with your face IS NOT ACTING.

The Academy is full of idiots.

What a gash film.

Oh, I watched American Beauty again last night. You want to talk about a film that DESERVES its Oscars, look no further. Actually, it deserved Best Actress and Best Score too, but...

tks

Strata Poster
Have you seen Australia? I watched 30 minutes of that on the plane before I quickly hit the off button. It's coma inducing.

Dave

CF Legend
Ben said:
No, Gladiator is terrible. I thought you disliked historically inaccurate films because you were so good at history, Dave? ;)

Plus, it's really, really dull and conceited. Pah. I pile it with other Oscar-bait crap like the Last King of Scotland and Slumdog.

Well I know its historically innacurate, but its deliberatley innacurate for glorifying reasons. I knew Marucs Aerilius died of the plague and Commodus was killed by Narciusus.

Russel Crowe can act, just watch A Beautiful Mind, or Romper Stomper.

Oh, I watched American Beauty again last night. You want to talk about a film that DESERVES its Oscars, look no further. Actually, it deserved Best Actress and Best Score too, but...

I have that movie, but I never got around to watching it. Maybe I should.

Ben

CF Legend
Um, yes, do Taylor. It's widely regarded as one of the best movies of the last 10 years (it's something like 36 on IMDB) and it's in my personal top ten.

WATCH IT >.<

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Me, Myself & Irene

Seen it many times. But still, Bloody Funny. 9/10.

Wild Hogs

Again, seen it before but this is a good little film and worth the watch. 8.5/10.

Yes Man

Not what I was expecting. I was expecting funny and it just wasn't other than one point. Entertaining story, but VERY weak for Jim Carrey. Nothing compared to his old stuff.

6/10 Max.