What's new

"Now Showing"

Lain

Giga Poster
gavin said:
Repo: The Genetic Opera. Awful, awful, awful...I loved it! Such a piece of complete, unadulterated trash. Sarah Brightman as Blind Mag was great. Even Paris Hilton did a good job of being awful.

I'm not sure if it was intended as high-camp, over-the-top, so-bad-it's-good, but it does that very well. If nothing else, it looks amazing. Think theme-park-style haunted house meets ultra-modern technology. 9/10, but it's crap. Hope that makes sense.

Also, Anthony Head. <3

In other news, I recently watched Nausicaa - of the Valley of the Wind

And it was really good. If you've seen Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle, you'll know what expect. Just amazingly awesome story driven anime.

Win.

I used to love that style of film when I was a kid (thinking of Prom Night, Slaughter High etc.), but wasn't too keen on this one. 5/10

Oh man, I seen every frickin' horror movie of that style by the time I was like.. Six. Such crappy and predictable storylines, but they're fun to watch on a night in, if you want some entertainment while not having to try and work out a confusing plot :p .

Ollie

CF Legend
Final Fantasy: Spirit Within:
I'd seen the other one and saw this was on TV so thought I may as well watch it. I've played little to none of the Final Fantasy games so the film didn't seem very Final Fatasylike at all from what I've seen of the games.
It started off slow but then got better as it progressed. The visuals were really good and sometimes made you forget you were watching an animated film.
I enjoyed it much more than Advent Children and am glad I watched it.
I'm not going to give this one a rating as it's kinda hard to describe and give it an accurate score as everyone will have different views on it.

kimahri

CF Legend
Ollie said:
I've played little to none of the Final Fantasy games so the film didn't seem very Final Fatasylike at all from what I've seen of the games.

It's Not Final Fantasy

At all.

In any way, shape or form. Except the little cameo's you wouldn't see since you've never played any of them.

That movie bankrupt that section of square.

Which is a shame since "Final Flight of the Osiris" is actually, pretty good.

Any way.

I ordered "Toys" featuring Robin williams and other people off play.com.

It arrived today so I watched it.

It wasn't bad really. It wasn't great either. Personally I liked it.

So yeah...

peep

CF Legend
Gavin, I think Repo is meant to be like that (so bad its good). That sort of thing is almost a sub-genre now, I love it. However I have yet to see Repo and I think the biggest reason why I want to see it has to be Anthony Head as he is such a legend.

Today I watched Mission Impossible 2 & 3 on DVD.

They were ok films but nothing special. They were definitely an improvement on the first film. I'm becoming a bigger fan of JJ Abrahams (he directed the third film) more and more now and I can't wait to see what he has done with Star Trek.

2nd film rating: 3/5
3rd film rating: 3.5/5

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Kim, I like Toys. It's not a superb film, but it's really kind of watchable. It's a real odd film.

Just watched Duck Soup with Minor_Furie. Top 100 films ever AND top 100 comedies! Hurrah!

Erm, never seen ANY Marx brothers ever. It was very rough comedy wise. Timing was very hit and miss and the whole thing was too random. However, it was funny. Not real belly laugh stuff, but it was still good in a 50 year old way. Some of the more purile bits really had me guffahwing though :)

Well worth a look if you've never experienced it before. I think there's a little something for everyone. You have to really want to experience that kind of old school thing though maybe - which is worth it for those of us after culture :p

peep

CF Legend
^I've only seen part of Duck soup and I thought it was very funny, especially for how old it is.

For a laugh (and a voucher for cheap tickets) me and my sis went to see Dragonball: Evolution.

I have to admit it was a fairly decent kids flick. Bad points for the film were too many cringe moments and not enough of James Masters (evil dude).

Rating: 3/5

Just watched Gone baby gone on DVD.

It's a really good film, well written, well acted and well directed. The ending just makes you wonder what you would do in the situation and I think I would have done the opposite to what happened. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Rating: 4.5/5

Kalifornia

With the average IMDb rating and stuff, I wasn't really expecting too much from it but I actually really liked it. Not a top ten film or anything, but it didn't require much thinking, though it was still very entertaining, suspenseful, and most of all, it kept me interested.

8.5/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
Watched Behind the Green Door It was rubbish.. you could barely see anything.

1/10

Also just saw Meatballs 3 On tv.. they dont make them like that any more...

3/10

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Watched Get Smart last week, and I was pleasantly surprised! For some reason, I never expect much from Steve Carell, I tend to hold him in about as high regard as Will Ferrell, but when I actually watch one of his films, I do tend to enjoy it. The Rock's actuall not a bad actor, but he's not really in it, Anne Hathaway's there for eye candy really, but Terence Stamp's brilliant as the bad fella.

Its far from serious, but if you're after a laugh, it provides plenty of those. 7/10

peep

CF Legend
^I love Get Smart, it's just an enjoyable film.

Watched Sunset Boulevard on DVD yesterday.

It was fantastic, I really enjoyed it. Everything was just perfect.

Rating: 5/5

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Lol, I was thinking it was some very dodgy-sounding Z-movie horror :p.

In The Loop
I was looking forward to this, as I love The Thick Of It, the TV series it's based on,

Have to say I'm disappointed. In the series, all the fantastically screwed-up political situations are given time to develop, but in this they're rushed through at lightning speed, making it feel artificial and undermining the satire.

It's also not the best plot they've come up with, and does feel anachronistic - satirising the Bush government feels dated now.

Still, some fantastic lines in there, and great performances from Tom Hollander, Peter Capaldi and especially James Gandolfini who was awesome!

6/10, it's like a rushed TV episode with added America.

Disturbia
Quite enjoyed this! A modern teen interpretation of Rear Window, it treads a nice balance between humour and suspense. It never really strays that far from predictable though, and the ending feels pretty abrupt and clichéd. 6/10.

peep

CF Legend
Just watched The happiness of the Katakuris

This has to be the most random film I've ever seen. Forget Lynch, this is messed up with a frilly hat on top. The story is about a family which starts up a small hotel in the middle of nowhere, when a guest turns up he dies, more randomness and deaths and musical numbers then follow. There was one musical number where I couldn't stop laughing, I think I actually started losing it lol. The stop animation just scared the how out of me, I might actually have nightmares tonight. I mean I knew I was going to watch something random as the tagline on the DVD cover is "Love. Music. Horror. Volcanoes. Cinema was never meant to be like this!".

Rating: Dunno yet, worth watching just for the grandpa throwing sticks at birds to kill them and for the sumo wrestler sex scene (it's funnier than it sounds).

Gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The Children. Hmmm, was ok really I suppose. I wouldn't exactly recommend it though. Absolutely nothing original there at all, but worth a watch. 6/10

Mum and Dad. I actually quite liked this, considering there is absolutely zero storyline. It reminded of The People Under The Stairs, which I loved when I was a kid, only a bit more ****ed up. 8/10

Righteous Kill. Really don't know why I bothered with this at all. Really not a fan of De Niro or Pacino (so, so, so overated), and this didn't change my mind. 4/10

Ollie

CF Legend
peep said:

This has to be the most random film I've ever seen. Forget Lynch, this is messed up with a frilly hat on top. The story is about a family which starts up a small hotel in the middle of nowhere, when a guest turns up he dies, more randomness and deaths and musical numbers then follow. There was one musical number where I couldn't stop laughing, I think I actually started losing it lol. The stop animation just scared the how out of me, I might actually have nightmares tonight. I mean I knew I was going to watch something random as the tagline on the DVD cover is "Love. Music. Horror. Volcanoes. Cinema was never meant to be like this!".

Rating: Dunno yet, worth watching just for the grandpa throwing sticks at birds to kill them and for the sumo wrestler sex scene (it's funnier than it sounds).

OMG I'm finally not the only person I know who's seen it anymore. :p
I thought it was great when I saw it. It's one of those films that shouldn't be taken seriously. Especially when people start bursting into song and then they start flying??? :p
That sumo wrestler was hilarious. And the stop animation at the start of the film is brilliant yet highly disturbing.
It's funny seeing all the genres it comes under, it's a mix of comedy, horror, musical, fantasy, thriller, romantic, animation. :p

John91

Mega Poster
Finally finished The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover in film studies today.
It was just plain awful. There was nothing redeeming about it. I'm tempted to sue my film tutor for nearly boring me to death.
0/10

Ben

CF Legend
peep said:

Random and messed-up isn't the same as surreal :p (yes, I know I've used random and messed-up to describe Lynch before, but, they're wrong)

17 Again

No, I didn't go see this because I am in love with Zack Efron, I went to see it because most of the other movies were rated 18A and I couldn't get in. But, I am pleasantly surprised; it was mindless entertainment, but it was actually funny, despite being predictable.

8/10