What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Watched Heavenly Creatures finally last night. I've been trying to watch it for about 15 years :lol:

It's quite an odd film, but excellent I thought. I loved the duality shown between the two girls, and the way the were portrayed much of the time as over the top at extreme ends of the emotional scales.

The final scene was really harrowing and heartbreaking, the sign that you're really attached to the film and characters.

Great stuff, if a little off the wall and different at points. Had the right balance 'There will be Blood' failed to achieve :p

danielfitzgerald99

Hyper Poster
Lain said:
When you live in South Wales, the nearest anything is two hours away. :p

Unless it is a sheep!

Anyway I watched Thelma & Louise last night. It wasn't bad :shock:

It also backs up my point about women driver's :wink:

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
Watched Heavenly Creatures finally last night. I've been trying to watch it for about 15 years :lol:

It's quite an odd film, but excellent I thought. I loved the duality shown between the two girls, and the way the were portrayed much of the time as over the top at extreme ends of the emotional scales.

Did it have boobies?

peep

CF Legend
Just watched Robert Altman's The Player.

It was an ok film but half way through it just got boring and it wasn't till the 'one year later' bit near the end that it got good again.

Rating: 3/5

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
^Sounds like a good film, was it on TV?

Yes, it was on TV last week... It's not been releas3ed on DVD over here yet either.

Don't tell Ben, but you'll love it because it's a Peter Jackson film - it's the film that created Weta :)

Ben

CF Legend
peep said:
^Ah, so its one of his films before he went cripe?

Before he went cripe? So, before he first picked up a camera?

I'm joining in the eeeeeekkkkk Watchmen tonight crew xD Haven't been this excited for a film since Dark Knight.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I said "don't tell Ben" :roll: :p

(he knows nothing. Bad Taste is a superb Splatter comedy, as is Brain Dead. Meet the Feebles is poor, but okay if you're 13 I suppose. Frighteners is average, but still enjoyable).

peep

CF Legend
^Basically means that it'll have the blue/red glasses which don't form the 3D image properly and just cause headaches. So basically it still won't be in 3D :p

So yesterday was an epic day in London for me. I first went to see The young Victoria.

I really enjoyed this, nice surprise. It was well directed and the cast were excellent (a whole 5 mins where you can gather the story just by the actors facial expressions). I had two problems with the film though, the focus pulling was a shambles and it felt too short (quite the opposite of something else I watched yesterday). If that's the only problems with it then it shows that it is a great film.

Rating: 4/5

Next up was the random documentary Anvil: The story of Anvil.

This was a random film. It basically tells the story of this ageing metal band from Canada. It follows them on their day to day lives and a European tour and making their 13th album. There are so many fail moments for the band and you begin to feel sorry for them. It was a nicely put together documentary and I learnt about a band I had never heard of before. I can never really rate documentaries so it gets an ok.

The finally of the day was Watchmen.

The film is long. When I moan that a film is too long it means that it just didn't do anything. You can easily tell that chunks had been taken out but it felt like it would have been moments which would have made the film make sense. None of it made sense, there were scenes where it tried to give a back story and it just felt like a waste of time as it gave no back story that actually added to the film, just made it longer and more unbearable. It's all good and that making something faithful to the source material but it needs to also be a watchable film. It just isn't. It's boring and the action sequences were the only good moments in the film and there is a major lack of those scenes. The director also loved to slow things down which just got annoying. Like the film wasn't long enough. All that hype and it led to a pile of poo. It's Lord of the Rings all over again.

Rating: 2/5

To also help explain, here is Mark Kemode (legend). I think he sums it up even better.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
John did not like LotR?

Then your opinion is now null and void ;)

I still want to go and see Watchmen, see how the mood takes me...

In other film news I want to go and see the Damned United, but it's probably only of interest to football fans so many who post in this topic may not share the enthusiasm I have for this film, although I've never read the book it's based on I quite like the look of Sheen as Cloughie... And Timothy Spall is in it :Lol:

peep

CF Legend
No I didn't like LoTR. I wasted 9 hours of my life watching some idiots walk over some bloody mountains. What a waste of time. The only good thing to come out of those films was the Gollom remix I saw at work the other year.

Anyways, Up trailer got released :D HERE

It looks amazing, still can't believe America gets it in May and we have to wait till October. That is such a crime.

Ollie

CF Legend
It's sad to hear the The Watchmen is getting quite bad reviews.
It's only got 66% on Rotten Tomatoes and other sites seem unimpressed with it.

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm not really into superhero movies that much anyway. It seems like whenever I say that the Dark Knight was overrated people have a go at me. :p
But it is. It was good but it wasn't 'that' good.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
I watched Taken last night.

Not bad,not really my kind of film,but I did watch it from start to finish.

Bettter than I thought it would be,but the ending was a let down.I was expecting more,but it just ended.

Not really into one man takes on an entire army and wins but there you go.

6/10