What's new

"Now Showing"

John91

Mega Poster
Ollie said:
Why the **** is The Watchmen an 18?
I wasn't that interested but wouldn't mind seeing it.
Read the graphic novel then you'll know why. I'm feeling gutted though as I won't be seeing it as Odeon are ****ing ****s and aren't bringing it to Hastings. GAH!

I never liked Sweeney Todd, I found it too ridiculous. And I know some films are supposed to be over the top gore, but this one seemed to be trying too hard. It was such a typical Depp/Burton creation that I just thought boooorrring and never watched it again.

Ew, you certainly suck, Jordan.

Honestly, Sweeney doesn't have nearly as much gore as some horror movies nowadays, and just because it's classed as a musical and not a horror doesn't make the gore any worse.

<3 Sweenster.

mrclam

Giga Poster
I got to visit "the watchmen" set last week (know someone who's acting in the film).

I was in geek heaven.

As for the 18 certificate? Oh I dunno from the novel alone.. blood, gore, setting people on fire, blue bloke walking around with his tadger on full display, etc etc.

F.A.S.T.

Hyper Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I never liked Sweeney Todd, I found it too ridiculous. And I know some films are supposed to be over the top gore, but this one seemed to be trying too hard. It was such a typical Depp/Burton creation that I just thought boooorrring and never watched it again.

Ew, you certainly suck, Jordan.

Honestly, Sweeney doesn't have nearly as much gore as some horror movies nowadays, and just because it's classed as a musical and not a horror doesn't make the gore any worse.

<3 Sweenster.

I actually started watching Sweeney the other day, (on my trip back from Yuma) but halfway through the I-Pod died. I was pissed, and I still have to finish it.
But what I saw of it seem pretty decent, if not weird.

Error

Strata Poster
Might as well see Watchmen in Chicago since I can't go to my brother and sister's birthday party (It's at a bar, which you are carded at the door in Chicago).

To fit an imfamous review in, saw Stardust a few nights ago.

The basic idea is there's a wall and a town by it (so greatly named "Wall") and no one's allowed beyond the wall. A guy manages to and finds a new world with magic and a whole bunch of stuff like lightning fisherman, a fallen star (a person), and a bunch of butt ugly witches.

The movie was alright, but freaking weird all throughout. I got confused at some points by all the magical junk and the effects were...interesting. The best part is the 7 ghost brothers, which provide EXCELLENT humor to the movie.

Overall, a good movie for...someone who likes magic stuff. Everyone else might enjoy it, but I'm a simple nerd for it.

6/10

peep

CF Legend
^ I loved Stardust. I thought the effects were amazing and I knew the peeps that did some of them :p So I might be a little bias

Last night I continued watching the BBC Four Hitchcock season, last nights film was Stage Fright.

It was great, had a good storyline and Alistair Sim was brilliant and added some very funny dark humour to the film. For some the storyline could be confusing but I somehow kept up with (being tired didn't help) the story.

Rating: 4/5

It looks like this is the last film BBC Four are showing as part of this season, hopefully it'll strangely continue next weekend or something.

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Sorry Furie, it was a tad presumtuous of me. I thought it worked fine. I do agree with Kermode though, the more times you watch it, the more you see.

If you want to know why a film was rated what it was, just go to the BBFC site. Had a quick look, and the following has a SPOILER ALERT to those who've not read the comic:

WATCHMEN is the latest film from director Zack Snyder and the team behind 300. Based on a famous graphic novel from the 1980s it tells the story of an alternate America in which the Vietnam War was won, Nixon was elected for a third term and costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of society. It was passed ‘18’ for strong bloody violence.

The BBFC Guidelines at ‘15’ state that ‘violence may be strong but may not dwell on the infliction of pain or injury’. In WATCHMEN however there are a number of scenes that focus on strong detailed violence and its gory result. In one such example, a man is stabbed through the arm, with it forcefully twisted and broken as the knife is shown penetrating his arm and emerging from the other side. In another, a man is shown being struck in the head with a meat cleaver followed by repeated bloody sight of the cleaver striking the head. Both of these scenes, in addition to one or two others, were considered inappropriate at ‘15’ and better placed at the adult ‘18’ where detail of strong violence is permitted.

WATCHMEN also contains an attempted rape scene, strong language and sexual activity without strong detail.

So, there we go. I'll attempt to watch it on friday :p Wish me luck XD

kimahri

CF Legend
Already asked to go see Watchmen.

Looks sweeeeet.

Although. Both my mam and cousin asked if it was a horror movie Which is odd since it really doesn't look like one.

peep

CF Legend
kimahri said:
Although. Both my mam and cousin asked if it was a horror movie Which is odd since it really doesn't look like one.

That's what my mum said last night when the ad came on TV. Maybe because it is so different to other comic hero style films peeps assume that Watchmen is a horror?

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ploddish said:
WATCHMEN also contains an attempted rape scene, strong language and sexual activity without strong detail.

And if watching on imax... a 6 foot high blue winky too!

peep

CF Legend
^Lol

Saw two films at the cinema today.

The first film I saw was The International.

It had a great first half, it was gripping and had a great premise. There was then an amazing scene at an art gallery and after that the film just took a nose dive into oblivion. The plot just didn't know what it was doing any more, it got confusing and the actors looked as baffled by it than the audience. It's a shame that it kinda dies half way through as it would have been a great film.

Rating: 3/5

Next I saw The class.

It's a French film about, yep you guessed it, a class. Basically the school isn't in the best area of Paris and the kids that attend it aren't exactly the best peeps in the World. The teacher then has to deal with several arguments within the class. It was really intense and felt so real (helps that most of the cast are the actual peeps the film is about, so its almost like a documentary) and the lack of music gave it an edgy feel. This will definitely be a film I'll be adding to my DVD collection soon.

Rating: 4.5/5