What's new

"Now Showing"

peep

CF Legend
Wow, Slayed good selection of films there. I really want to see The Reader, I would have seen it last sat but they were only showing it once (during the time they were showing Che). I'm still considering going to see the Wrestler but I dunno.

I got to see Slumdog in digital, it's superb. Che and Defiance I saw in film and was rather lame. Peeps that can't tell the difference don't go to the cinema enough or haven't actually been to a digital screening yet.

Just watched The Birds on DVD.

It's a really good film. It kinda starts as a mystery romance film and ends up being quite a frightening thriller (I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been for audiences at the cinema on original release). It had some good dialogue and the actors were all good. The effects have aged badly and some scenes do look quite corny (kids getting attacked) but its still a very good film.

Rating: 4/5

Btw I'm going to attempt to watch all of the Hitchcock films I have on DVD so I'll prob post more reviews of his films in the next couple of weeks. It also looks like I'll be seeing at least two films at the cinema this weekend (atm Frost/Nixon and The Reader are looking like the best options, none of the Tom Cruise BS (Valkyrie for peeps not in the know) for me thank you very much).

Tony

Hyper Poster
Urgh I really want to see My Bloody Valentine 3D in the cinema but can't because it's an 18 and I'm not 18

I thought I'd never see it becuase I'm not 18 either but thankfully it ended up being 16 here!! :p Although the only cinema that I found that showed it anywhere near me was 1 cinema in Galway and it doesn't even show it in 3d!! As we had a half day today had to bunk of last 2 classes to get the long 2 hour train to Dublin to see it in 3d as I'm working all weekend.

So My Bloody Valentine 3d, I was really looking forward to seeing this for the past week as I had never seen a 3d film before and wow the 3d effects were awesome. I didn't think it would be anywhere near as effective as it was and the throwing of his axe thing and the shot gun was awesome as were other things. I wish it played on it more though. The film itself was ok, nothing really special about it, plenty of gore including someones jaw getting ripped off and flung at you :p . Without the whole 3d it would be a pretty average film.

7.5/10

Worth seeing for the experience and I found it quite funny seeing like a 65+ year old husband and wife at it LOL.

Madagascar 2: Escape to Africa

I LOVED it! The first film was amazing and I find it highly underrated, but seriously, they have the most likeable characters (King Julian fo'sho'), hilarious jokes, some more adult aimed jokes, etc. This one seemed to be as good as the first and though I noticed they were making fun of like, death a lot, it was hilarious. Just as good as the first!

8/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Peep! The Birds is awesome! It's one of those films that gets under your skin. The scene with the ravens in the school yard is an absolute classic. I love it. It's odd little things though I love and which come back to me. Like the lovebirds leaning as the car corners. Delightful and fun.

Yes, it's aged badly, but you'll keep seeing bits of it in other films you watch. I love Hitchcock's dark humour too.

I watched Sin City again. It gets worse on repeat watchings, quite badly actually. Still as sexy and violent as ever though and a great way to spend two hours :)

Ben

CF Legend
^I re-watched Sin City yesterday too! Yay.

I still loooovveeee it. Rosario Dawson is amazing in it. I'd forgotten how violent it is! There's some good stuff in there, just think of how it would look in colour... ew.

John91

Mega Poster
I have seen many a film recently I have been impressed with.

Twilight - I shouldn't have liked this as much as I did as it is fairly girly material. But it was a good film. The cast did a good job and stylistically it looked pretty cool. 8/10

Slumdog Millionaire - Brilliant. Loved it. Not much else to say 10/10

Role Models - Very silly, but suited the mood I was in. 7/10

Valkyrie - For an American film about Nazi Germany, this film was incredibly accurate. The actors put in great performances, even Tom Cruise! The only way I personally feel it could have been better was if it was in German with subtitles. 9/10

Ollie

CF Legend
Stay Alive:

The only reason this film interested me was because it was about video games. The film follows a group of gamers as they find a new game called 'Stay Alive'. It's not in the shops yet and all they know is that they're not supposed to have it. Only one catch. You die in the game, you die for real in the same grisly way.
The film isn't very gory or violent so not sure why it got a 15 rating, but it does have quite a few jumpy moments where it catches you off guard.
An alright film that will only probably appeal to gamers. You'll probably be disappointed but the actual game in the film is really good and if it didn't kill you then it would be great.
6/10

peep

CF Legend
Recently got back from the cinema.

First up was Frost/Nixon.

I thought this was a great film, I thoroughly enjoyed it. All of the acting performances were great (even Kevin Bacon :shock:) but a little bamboozled as to why Michael Sheen didn't get the Oscar nom. The film was good but it probably shouldn't have been given nominations for best film and director, meh.

Rating: 4/5

Next up was The Reader.

I thought this was a very well made film with a great story but it drags on a but nearer the end. I was also shocked at how much nudity and intercourse there was which made me feel slightly awkward as I was with my dad lol. I think Ralph Fiennes is an awesome actor but he felt a little meh in this, his part felt slightly unnecessary. The young actor David Kross and Kate Winslet were both excellent though (I can totally see why she has gained so much attention for this role).

Rating: 3.5/5

Ben

CF Legend
I watched Saw V yesterday. Mild spoilers ahead.

WHAT THE HELL?!?!

I mean, really? There was so many plot holes it hurt. And what was the point of the five people... what was the point of the whole thing, actually? It was gross, I'll give it that, but that's ALL. It had no story and seriously... the last trap made me want to shoot myself. "The human body contains ten liters of blood". No. It doesn't. Haven't the writers even heard of Wikipedia? That would give them the medical advice to prove that's WRONG. And there's no WAY she could even have lost 5 liters of blood, let alone walked around after, since women usually don't have 5 anyway, and a portion of it is in the... kidneys?... and can't be bled out, let alone just out of your arm.

IDIOTS

The first trap was good, the opening trap. But after that... Oh dear.

Aw, c'mon Ben, you have to admit it was better than the fourth. Whether it had a lot of plot holes or not, at least it doesn't make you sit there in confusing and boredom the whole time, plus, it was far more entertaining.

Ben

CF Legend
Well, it was better than 4, but that MAY have been the worst film ever made.

5 was only the second worst film ever made...

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Saw 1 - Great.

Saw 2 - Good.

Saw 3 - Ok. They should of stopped here.

Saw 4 - VERY crap. And pointless.

Ben

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ No way.

I watched it like three times in the span of like, three days.

So you liked it?

So, yes, it sucked.

You're the same girl who didn't like Pulp Fiction, right?

Yeah...