What's new

"Now Showing"

Error

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Watch My Bloody Valentine 3D, in which we we used old coupons from 1996 (God bless you Michigan state law!) to see it, getting the stupid looking glasses when we bought the tickets.

I've heard awesome things about that movie so far, so I'm gonna have to go and see it in the movies before it's out on DVD so I can experience the 3D stuff.

In order to market it as a 3D movie, they will sell packaged copies with 3D glasses.

It's the same deal as the old red-blue glasses, only light blue-light yellow.

As for my opinion: Juno was lame, Superbad wasn't funny, and so far Snoo is right.

Snoo

The Legend
Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

This definitely had a brighter tone then the original, but I really did like the movie. Battle scenes, deeper meaning, and of course a good story.

9/10

^ I still haven't seen that!

And Ben, I'd still consider Juno a comedy, but it also had a different, serious side to it with the whole teenage pregnancy. But yeah, it just seemed to fit decently into that group of movies, though it was far more mature than any of them.

Aerith

Mega Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

This definitely had a brighter tone then the original, but I really did like the movie. Battle scenes, deeper meaning, and of course a good story.

9/10

Was an awesome film i must say, so happy when i got it at christmas!

nadroJ

CF Legend
Juno is very Napoleon Dynamite, you either find it quite hilarious or just don't. I like it, I think it's a bit girly too. Maybe that's why the boys don't like it so much.

Snoo

The Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
^ Anyone who doesn't find Napoleon Dynamite hilarious is ridiculous!

Taylor, the more you speak, the more you prove me right.

Napoleon Dynamite = epic fail.

What other movies do you like which suck on a grand scale? In fact.. what movies DON'T you like? I want a list because those are probably the best movies of all time.

I told you guys.. my prophecy is true.

Ollie

CF Legend
The Omen (2006):

Wasn't anywhere near how good I thought it would be. Yes it's a modern remake so it's expected to be terrible. I haven't seen the original so can't compare them but judging this one alone it wasn't very good.
The acting and script work was very dry and not very convincing and it took ages for the film to pick up the pace a little. In fact it didn't really get good until near the end just after the photographer got decapitated up until he's about to kill his son. But apart from that it's pointless drivel that tries to make you jump with things that aren't even scary and fails completely to scare anyway.
It's alright and worth watching if you get the chance. But I wouldn't recommend it personally to anyone.
4/10

What other movies do you like which suck on a grand scale? In fact.. what movies DON'T you like? I want a list because those are probably the best movies of all time.

There are many movies I don't like! It just seems as though we have different tastes. Looking at my movies right now, although there's not a lot I don't like from this collection since they are all bought, things like Mask, Virgin Suicides, High School Musical, Blue Crush, Hairspray, etc are all ones I didn't like too much. There are many more I just can't think of 'em.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ollie - I've not seen The Omen remake, but the original was fantastic - for it's time. I watched it again not so long ago and it's aged really badly. The world we live in has also changed a lot. We're much more cynical these days, and the world holds much less in the way of mysteries. So the crux of the film no longer works, as the idea of the anti-christ coming to bring about the prophesy of the end of the world just doesn't seem scary any more.

It's still a well made film, but it's lost so much as the world has moved on... Should be watched, but I doubt you'll like it (you also seem to quite often miss when a film is well made and look for entertainment :p ).

Having said that, I watched Sunset Boulevard last night (again, working my way through the top 100 films made).

It's striking how such an early film can be so well made. Like All about Eve, the dialogue is excellent and the story weaves it's way along wonderfully. The camera work is generally superb, with a lot of the shots being at very clever angles and viewpoints, giving you the impression you're literally a fly on the wall. Gloria Swanson is superb by the end of the film, the way she gradually reverts back to being a silent actress is brilliant. Still a great film 9/10

I love seeing these films, and then suddenly you understand references and parodies you've seen later.

And speaking of parodies, I also watched Enchanted. Erm, not entirely sure what to make of this. I loved the Disney sending itself up thing, and the whole ironic aspect. However, it was just, really one big joke. A joke which lasted for for an hour and a half...

It had quite a few laugh out loud moments, and some really great, over the top acting. I think the start promised more than it could deliver though and the clichéd ending was just that - YES, it was meant to be a cliché, that's the point of the film, but it just came back round to the fact it WAS just one joke.

So, nicely done, amusing, but overall just a little bit irritating. 7/10

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
Having said that, I watched Sunset Boulevard last night (again, working my way through the top 100 films made).

It's striking how such an early film can be so well made. Like All about Eve, the dialogue is excellent and the story weaves it's way along wonderfully. The camera work is generally superb, with a lot of the shots being at very clever angles and viewpoints, giving you the impression you're literally a fly on the wall. Gloria Swanson is superb by the end of the film, the way she gradually reverts back to being a silent actress is brilliant. Still a great film 9/10

That film has one of the best endings ever. Especially the last line. That has to be one of the most famous last lines of a film ever...

Well, I haven't seen the film, I need to... the musical has one of the best endings ever and they have the same ending :wink:

And The Omen remake was simply terrible.

peep

CF Legend
Last night I finally watched Rec.

It's actually a really well made film. The characters were so believable and real, which I find rare in a film. The film was quite short but if it was longer it would have been meh. Most of the scenes reminded me of horror walkthroughs like at Thorpe at Halloween. The last 15 mins I had to actually watch through my hands as I'm not very good with horror films. I do love the whole concept of the film and it works so much better than Blair Witch and Cloverfield.

Rating: 4/5

Ollie

CF Legend
^Only 4/10 come on, it clearly deserves a 10/5. :p
Rec is brilliant. I've lost count of the number of times I've watched it. Taylor didn't like it so it shows how awesome this film is. I know what you mean about the last scene. Apparently it's one of the scariest scenes ever made in a film before. There's some videos on Youtube of the audiences reactions to watching the film and it's pretty awesome.
So yeah I RECommend (see what I did there? :p) this film to everyone.

EDIT: Here's a video of the reactions of the people watching it. It's filmed on a night vision camera so you can see all their reactions. Those who have seen the film and can work out which bits they are reacting to from the audio will agree that it's almost impossible not to do it. :)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eFrM50cmhw[/youtube]