What's new

Music Recommendations

nadroJ

CF Legend
As a fan of slightly over-the-top theatrical metal, Ice Nine Kills' latest album has become a new guilty pleasure (though I admit it they could do with less of the Fall Out Boy-esque clean vocals) - otherwise, it's almost like having a full album of A7X's Little Piece of Heaven.

I feel like @nadroJ would definitely have appreciated this in her younger years!

[media]
OK this has made its way into my rotation. It's absolutely ridiculous, I love it. My fav tracks are American Nightmare, Stabbing in the Dark and Rocking the Boat. Stabbing in the Dark gives me big Breaking Benjamin vibes, it's stupid.

Will

Strata Poster
^
It's become my most played of the last twelve months - alone in the car yesterday, I discovered I now know most of the words - but it's The Jig Is Up (catchy chorus), World In My Hands and Grave Mistake (fun to sing AND epic guitar break) for me :) I feel like they'd be a lot of fun live as well.

The preceding album Every Trick In The Book is nearly as good - all based on classic literature - with a dark twist, of course.

Yesterday was of course new playlist Monday, so I wonder what I'll discover this week :)

Will

Strata Poster
Stabbing in the Dark gives me big Breaking Benjamin vibes, it's stupid.

Is it just me that gets Breaking Benjamin from Dream Theater's latest single?

In other news, I've found some more 'horror metal'. It's not as good as INK and the lyrics are laughable, but nevertheless...

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
Me again :D

New Liquid Tension Experiment album out tomorrow - more than 20 years after the last and the true drummer wielding the sticks once again :D

Will

Strata Poster
^
Yes, probably still my favourite of their tracks. I like to think of it as Goodnight Kiss Pt II

solarfall

Mega Poster

I got back into Electric Wizard again. Please hit me with all your favorite doom metal, lads. The slower, heavier, sludgier, and nastier, the better.

Church of Misery is another favorite.

Pear

Strata Poster
Been on this website for years now and never realized this thread existed 😂 Anyways here are my favorite albums of 2020 ranked and my top 20 of 2021 so far! I highly recommend all of these albums

2020:

topsters2.jpg

2021:

topsters2.png

Last edited:

James F

Hyper Poster
I have been relistening to a lot of Tim Minchin's stuff recently, I almost forgot how great some of his songs are, especially his more introspective ones like "Not Perfect" and "White Wine in the Sun"

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
211 days into the 1001 albums to hear before you die challenge and discovered a cracking album today. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken.

If you like Old West themed areas in your amusement parks, this is the album for you haha.

Link to said challenge below if anyone wants to join my group...

https://1001albumsgenerator.com/?joinGroup=bozos

My 5 star albums so far...

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
The Smiths - Meat is Murder
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
The Clash - London Calling
Bowie - Low
Bowie - Station to Station
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Bon Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Pulp - Different Class

James F

Hyper Poster
211 days into the 1001 albums to hear before you die challenge and discovered a cracking album today. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken.

If you like Old West themed areas in your amusement parks, this is the album for you haha.

Link to said challenge below if anyone wants to join my group...

https://1001albumsgenerator.com/?joinGroup=bozos

My 5 star albums so far...

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
The Smiths - Meat is Murder
Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
The Clash - London Calling
Bowie - Low
Bowie - Station to Station
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Bon Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
Pulp - Different Class
The OG punk albums are great. Nevermind the Bollocks, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables and while it's a compilation the Buzzcocks "Singles Going Steady" is worth a mention.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
The OG punk albums are great. Nevermind the Bollocks, Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables and while it's a compilation the Buzzcocks "Singles Going Steady" is worth a mention.
Also worth a mention...
Entertainment! - Gang of Four
Can't Stand The Rezillos - The...err...Rezillos
Germ Free Adolescents - X Ray Spex
...and my absolute favourite from that period, from a band that would never release anything nearly as good again...
The Scream - Siouxsie and the Banshees

Will

Strata Poster
A couple more from me...
I'm told these guys are Greek and this track is what I'm going to dub 'Game of Thrones metal'. The brother found this for me and it nicely combines his love of NWOBHM with my fondness for slightly cheesy fantasy metal.

Meanwhile, a friend caused a bit of an argument with me lately by proclaiming 'nobody wants guitar solos anymore' and that these had been rendered obsolete in the wake of breakdowns and 'chonky riffs'. No.
Having said that, I'll admit this is growing on me. (It's not a patch on the first three albums though)

As for the new DT song, I don't think it reaches its peak until the last 3-4 minutes. Really intrigued to hear the rest of the album though.

solarfall

Mega Poster
^Cult of Luna is Swedish, you pleb (jk, mad respect for all those recs)

This is absolutely not the kind of music I normally seek out, but these guys are doing a set at a music festival I plan to go to, and hot DAMN I know a good pop song when I hear one. We don't deserve this bass. I seriously can't stop listening to this.

[Editing to avoid a double post. Pardon me, these two songs have nothing to do with each other]

I've been listening to Abbath's solo output a ton lately, and I gotta say, he blows Immortal (minus Abbath)'s output out of the water. Gods, this slaps.
FFO: Bathory, mid-career Immortal, Pop-Eye murmuring overtop of guitars

Last edited: