What's new

Most polarising roller coasters

Pear

Strata Poster
The Beast definitely is polarizing as there's people who love it to death and then there's me who absolutely despises the ride at both day and night and can't wait till it's taken out. The Beast is definitely the most boring coaster I've ever done and I have no problem ranking it as my least favorite coaster.

I also see a lot of love and hate for TTD due to its length. I personally love TTD but I can see why others might not be so favorable to it.

Snoo

The Legend
Lightning Rod: Fix it already, we have all done what they did in Coaster Parodies.

See this is a weird one. Not polarizing because it's bad/good depending on your viewpoint as it's nearly universally enjoyed by those who've been on it for the most part. People have started to hate it for the up time rather then ride experience, which is a true shame because it is a phenomenal coaster.

Matt N

CF Legend
I just thought of another potential candidate for this thread:
  • Fujiyama at Fuji-Q Highland - The world's only Togo hyper has certainly had a variety of opinions regarding it over the years; in some cases, I've seen it in top 10 lists and ranked higher than rides like Silver Star and Mako. In other cases, I've seen people who've said it's awful.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I just thought of another potential candidate for this thread:
  • Fujiyama at Fuji-Q Highland - The world's only Togo hyper has certainly had a variety of opinions regarding it over the years; in some cases, I've seen it in top 10 lists and ranked higher than rides like Silver Star and Mako. In other cases, I've seen people who've said it's awful.

I hate to be THAT guy but... Fujiyama isn't the world's only Togo hyper. At 203ft, the Manhattan Express/Big Apple Coaster in Vegas also counts. Not quite as polarising though that one, as virtually everyone hates it!

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
The Voyage. Whereas people like me worship the coaster to death (Dan Koch included, him and I had a brief praising of the legendary coaster at Winter Warm-Up yesterday ;)), others claim it is unbearably rough and has weak airtime. Yes, Voyage is rough, I will admit... but again I praise the Beast so much because its bouncy roughness allows for an out of control feeling of going way faster than you actually are, on what seems to be a very basic and tame layout. Voyage has a very thrilling and creative layout that storms up a hillside slope and races back down; with loads of tiny, punchy elements like the triple down and trio of 90 degree overbanks-- which are taken at a much faster speed than they are designed for (I assume this is why Voyage costs upwards of $1 million a year to retrack?).

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
The Voyage. Whereas people like me worship the coaster to death (Will Koch included, him and I had a brief praising of the legendary coaster at Winter Warm-Up yesterday ;)), others claim it is unbearably rough and has weak airtime. Yes, Voyage is rough, I will admit... but again I praise the Beast so much because its bouncy roughness allows for an out of control feeling of going way faster than you actually are, on what seems to be a very basic and tame layout. Voyage has a very thrilling and creative layout that storms up a hillside slope and races back down; with loads of tiny, punchy elements like the triple down and trio of 90 degree overbanks-- which are taken at a much faster speed than they are designed for (I assume this is why Voyage costs upwards of $1 million a year to retrack?).
The reason I'm not totally head-over-heels for Voyage (I mean, it's my eighth favourite, so not bad by any stretch) is that I think it's TOO long. I find it exhausting to ride, and don't think I've ever managed more than two back-to-back rides on it. At the point where you dive back under Thunderbird is just about when I've had enough of it. It's very good, but it's rough and intense and after a while you just need a break!

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
Mystery Mine.
#2 at Dollywood for me.

The awesome double inversion finish on Mystery makes the entire ride. But is it polarizing? Seems most people would rate it “okay”. It’s my #2 in Dollywood as well, but I went to the park well before they built Lightning Rod- therefore Thunderhead was #1

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Intimidator 305 - This seems to be rated a bit less favorable on here, but there's still a handful of people that have it in their Top 10.

More than a handful and more than top ten. There’s a sizeable minority who have it as their number one coaster in the world. And an even bigger minority group who have it in their top two or three.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
One that comes to mind is Tonnerre de zeus - after the Costerforce trip in 2017 - people were either coming off 'Urrgh that was gross' OR 'that was faaaab' - no one was really 'meh - that was okay/fun'.