What's new

Mirabilandia |"DiVertical"| Intamin Water Coaster

Mike T

Mega Poster
Re: Mirabilandia |"DiVertical"| Intamin (?) Water Coaster

It ramps down a 45 degree incline into a pool of water - will then roll over the top of a hill, make a U-turn into a mid course brake run. Followed by that it makes a downward spiral and ends in another pool of water. You can't use mystery to justify this ride because it has boring and useless written all over its forehead. I'm bitching because Mirabilandia used water front real estate and a very large chunk of their budget to build it. It's flat out stupid.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

Wheres UC when you need him :lol:

at least he backs up his arguments with real facts. The issue at hand is until you ride it you don't know. It's like saying a video game is the worst thing ever and a waste of millions of dollars without ever playing it. It could turn out to be true or it could turn out to be fun if not great!

I thought I was depressed. lol

Mike T

Mega Poster

Okay last time:

For-the-amount-of-monies-the-theme-park-is-spending-to-build-this-attraction-the-interest-and-overall-payoff-will-not-be-in-their-favor. This-ride-is-boring-and-a-waste-of-valuable-land-at-the-park. Expect-technical-issues-getting-it-to-open.

Take note children...

I look at this ride and see the following as it's parallel:

korp6af0tnf1m0g004jpmc.jpg

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

I think I'm more surprised no one agrees with me than someone is saying its total **** without riding it. Rock 'N' Roller coaster's layout is pretty mediocre but the theming makes it great. There is more to a coaster than just the layout.

That's all I'm going to say on this as as much as I want to ride it I probably won't be able to.

peep

CF Legend

Ha, Mike, Joey has a point in that no-one's ridden it yet so we can't say it'll ride awful. However I also see your point in that it looks awful and the huge amount of money they've spent on it could have got them something decent (like another B&M). No one is saying that people won't still be drawn to iSpeed and Katun, just saying that this will be really popular because it is a water ride, a type of attraction which is very popular in Italy. Pretty sure the height of it will draw people in too. You may also want to note that right next to this ride is also their water park.

So what I think I'm trying to say is, it looks awful to us, it may ride well but we just can't say till we've ridden (the longevity of the drop might actually be a good thing?) and it looks awful in the area they've put it in.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Huge towering water ride. No matter if it rides like a piece of dung, it still is VERY marketable. The prospect of a chilling water splash would also be very welcome in the Italian summer sun. It will probably attract crowds by the thousands, even if they all hate it when they walk off. As soon as the guests are inside the park, Mirabilandia can be happy. It's not like the guests all come for one single ride either, they go there to have a nice day out. DiVertical in particular can turn out to be the disappointment of the century, but the rest of the rides there are still quite popular, and guests will come nonetheless.

It's not like the park selects their next big investment by the "wheel of fortune" method. There has been market research and stuff done, they choose to build the rides they think will return the most money for their investment.

There will also be some degree of guaranteed uptime. It is usually in the specifications when the parks buy their new rides. Intamin is obliged to deliver a certain amount of reliability, or they will have to pay back money. Most manufacturers of machines are bound to certain quality standards. It's probably somewhere in the 50-or-so pages of contract signed for this one ride.

It's not like the Mirabilandia board of leaders gather around a brochure and select a ride to build based on "this might work". There is a fairly long decision process involved, at least when the ride is of this magnitude. Love it or hate it, Mirabilandia will probably get their money back with this ride. What rides well is irrelevant.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Youngster Joey said:
I think I'm more surprised no one agrees with me than someone is saying its total **** without riding it. Rock 'N' Roller coaster's layout is pretty mediocre but the theming makes it great. There is more to a coaster than just the layout.

Sadly your argument is let down by the fact that you think RnR is great. It's a mediocre ride with a theme that can't do anything to elevate it above mediocrity. Though I've not ridden it since becoming "an enthusiast", so I would probably think even less of it now (especially considering I was also a big Aerosmith fan at the time which has also waned significantly now).

Essentially, there is only the layout though. No matter how much window dressing you put on it, it's still bad underneath. You may enjoy the window dressing, but that doesn't mean you're enjoying the coaster ;)

We can see that this is a poor layout. There's nothing hidden here, it is what it is. However, I think that rides like this have a place, especially if the water rides are exceptionally popular at the park. If you have four water rides all with four hour queues in mid-summer, then it makes sense to add another water ride. How well it rides or how much fun it is is irrelevant if the park have reason to believe it's a worthwhile addition.

I can't say if it is or not, I don't know what the queue time figures are for the rides at the park. At the moment, I'll assume that they are high because this decision was made. If anyone can clarify though, I'm happy to sway in my opinion :)

Personally, I like chute rides and I always find them good fun, even if the layout is dull, it's all about the splash and the wet - the window dressing. This is going to be a dull addition in terms of layout, but it's something that makes it stand out just a little from a standard drop, splash and return.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^It was the first example of something bad being made better by theming that came to my head. I said great as more of a general term. If you really think it lessens my argument than so be it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Don't worry, I just used it as a sardonic launching pad to explain things. I can think of lots of rides where an "overall experience" makes the ride more than its layout. I know what you mean, I really do, but it is just the window dressing you're enjoying, not the actual ride. I love Pirates of the Caribbean, but at the end of the day, it's a slow boat ride. If that ride was outside in the blazing sun then it would be a dull ride. I loved Flight of Fear, but outside it'd be nowhere near as good.

This isn't hiding anything. It really isn't. What could they add to the ride to improve on the lacklustre layout? Encase the entire thing in a Valhalla-esque dark ride?

Your argument isn't lessened by the fact you think RnR is good, but rather by the fact your argument is a bit rubbish [in this context] :lol:

I still don't think this is a "waste", I agree there, but for different reasons :)

Martyn B

CF Legend

The layout is crap is you look at this a a coaster, but look at it as a chute ride, and its got a great layout!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

The whole "you don't know until you ride it" argument doesn't always necessarily apply. I'd be willing to bet money on the fact that if you've ridden Pilgrim's Plunge + a large Mack water coaster, then you've pretty much ridden this.

I've done that, and while there is the small possibility that somehow this ride is completely different, I'm happy in coming to the personal conclusion that this, from an enthusiast's perspective, is a piece of ****.

This is where someone jumps in and tells me that it's not built for enthusiasts, it's built for the general public and they will like it.

Don't care. S**t.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

How the hell can a coaster made by a company that HAD NEVER MAD AN AMUSEMENT PARK ATTRACTION OF ANY SORT be used as a justification that this will have down time?

Intamin made this type of lift hill before and I don't recall massive bouts of downtime at Holiday World. The rest of the ride is essentially Hydro with a second drop and a MCBR.

I fully expect this to be popular with the Italian GP.

Then again, I lived there for two years and went to many amusement parks in the country.

Lofty

CF Legend

Martyn B said:
The layout is crap is you look at this a a coaster, but look at it as a chute ride, and its got a great layout!
I can't actually agree more with that post. For a water ride, it's got a fantastic layout and is much more fun than just meandering around in a brought slowly, but as a water coaster, it's really not up to much.

marc

CF Legend
Mirabilandia |"DiVertical"| Intamin (?) Water Coaster

I agree with both of you.

The Mack water coaster at Europa is fun, I mean the one with the proper layout rather than the super splash type. I also really liked the one at Gardaland.

I think this will give the park what it wanted.

Yes it takes up a lot of land but if it does what they want and its popular good on them.

It's not something I would like as I am not a fan of getting totally soaked for the sake of it. I prefer rapids where you just don't know what will happen.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Despite all the negative sides of this coaster i'm still looking forward to seeing it testing.
Which it may will very soon...

93807d1334187517-neu-2012-groesste-investition-der-parkgeschichte-im-mirabilandia-weltrekord-545088_358382687547663_251365284916071_1161678_1537424650_n.jpg

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Lofty said:
but as a water coaster, it's really not up to much.

Have you seen any of the other water coaster in the world?
I'll say this looks pretty damn awesome compared to the rest of them.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

^I've never ridden one personally but there is one in Korea (I believe) that looks fantastic

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Water Coasters are always very good additions to a park.

I think Divertical looks good too, the only thing i don't like about it is how much space it takes up, it also looks a bit awkward in my opinion.

Mike T

Mega Poster

rollermonkey said:
Intamin made this type of lift hill before and I don't recall massive bouts of downtime at Holiday World. The rest of the ride is essentially Hydro with a second drop and a MCBR.

This ride is nothing like Hydro. If this ride had the same style drop that Hydro does - I'd probably give it more credit, but DiVertical doesn't even drop - it ramps into a shallow pool of water before navigating a rather pointless looking set of roller coaster elements.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

Mike T said:
it ramps into a shallow pool of water before navigating a rather pointless looking set of roller coaster elements.

Pointless? Maybe to an enthusiast, but to everyone else, no.