What's new

Mirabilandia |"DiVertical"| Intamin Water Coaster

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Re: Mirabilandia |"DiVertical"| Intamin (?) Water Coaster

I'm guessing it's split so that it doesn't kill all the speed on that first splashdown. I could easily see that creating less resistance than a huge box-like boat.

Gazza

Giga Poster

The best part of these pics for me is the RCT1 Monorail in the 2nd pic down.

Lofty

CF Legend

2012Jarrett said:
I'm guessing it's split so that it doesn't kill all the speed on that first splashdown. I could easily see that creating less resistance than a huge box-like boat.
I don't. At all, to be honest. I think it may have something to do with the larger car being able to manoeuvre the track's elements. Those cars look a little larger than the Mack Water Coaster cars. As I say, it's just what I think. I think we need UC to post and let us know his thoughts...

Ethan

Strata Poster

Talk about a disappointing layout...

TilenB

Strata Poster

Ethan said:
Talk about a disappointing layout...

What did you expect from a water coaster, with taking the WR for highest drop as its main goal?
I think it's pretty good, but the colours are catastrophic!

Ethan

Strata Poster

Ok disappointing is the wrong word. Dull...

Jarrett

I think it's okay if the layout is a bit meh. I think that the park was aiming for more of a unique record-breaking water ride (hence the odd shape of the tower) instead of a big thrilling roller coaster with a big splash at the end. It's more of a water ride than a coaster in my opinion.

Also, am I the only one who likes the colors? XD They remind me of Vortex at my home park Kings Island. I think they're very eye-catching and I think if the pods were the right color (yellow comes to mind) it could look very nice.

I'm also very excited to see theming start. I seem to recall a piece of concept art where the ride went past a sort of dock full of the power boats the ride is themed after. I also wonder if that's the only piece of theming we'll see on this ride.

Lofty

CF Legend

Thought that was the case. Thanks for clarifying it. Still, it REALLY grinds me OCD how it's not in the centre of the boats </3

D1993

Hyper Poster

That was actually interesting.
Thank you for that little lesson :)

Lofty

CF Legend

I feel clever, I knew most of that. The only reason I said it was because of my OCD, lol, I knew the reasoning as to why they do it, it was just that the stupid part of my brain cannot handle it.

Lofty

CF Legend

Ha, oh yeah, I didn't take it in a bad way. What would we do without you UC?! :D

Coasterfreck

Hyper Poster

UC said:
^It's done that way for a reason. Length and stability.

Articulated trains always need to have a zero-car of sorts, a "stable" beginning or end to the train to secure the rest of it. Think of it like the head on a snake.

The best way to explain this is using B&M coasters. On some of their rides, the zero-car is obvious, as the runner in front of the seats. On others, a different system is used. For example, the 3-car DMs:

http://www.rcdb.com/2662.htm?p=12144

Note how the third car is set back from the first two. The first two cars are actually attached, with their only "articulation" being rotational. The third car, on the other hand, is fully articulated.

Same holds true for the first two cars of Floorless coasters: http://www.rcdb.com/2169.htm?p=9532

Note how the two cars in the back are attached as one unit. Those are the first two cars of the train, and can vary only rotationally (not pitch or yaw, however). Also note that the first two rows here are facing the exact same direction, despite turning a banked corner:

http://www.rcdb.com/1366.htm?p=10629

Finally, Inverts: They operate on the same principle as Floorlesses. Note how the first two cars of every train are always at the exact same angle no matter the element (because they're attached and only allowed to rotate between them):

http://www.rcdb.com/5.htm?p=13876
http://www.rcdb.com/80.htm?p=1319
http://www.rcdb.com/87.htm?p=5166
http://www.rcdb.com/776.htm?p=12201
http://www.rcdb.com/558.htm?p=10384

You can see in that last photo especially, since the second row has much more legroom than the subsequent rows, because it isn't capable of articulated pitch like the rest of the rows are.

The only exception to this rule is Alpengeist, as it has a "proper" zero-car, due to the apparent need for greater stability as a result of the ride's size.
I think you will find B&M Wing Coasters also uses articulated trains
Personally I think this picture shows it better:
0g4qtc3ok34nfq9is0008f.jpg

TilenB

Strata Poster

New photos!

Top of the lift
544459_356158134436785_251365284916071_1154352_1940011520_n.jpg

test cars
560663_356158314436767_251365284916071_1154358_1624342271_n.jpg

the track looks great
559400_356158374436761_251365284916071_1154360_767152266_n.jpg

brakerun
542913_356158527770079_251365284916071_1154368_423849610_n.jpg

calm part of the ride
546612_356158661103399_251365284916071_1154370_515290738_n.jpg

Mike T

Mega Poster

I'll be completely candid here and say that this ride looks like a total piece of ****.

Jarrett

Honestly, that drop could be a lift hill. I don't quite think it fits the name "Divertical" since that drop is far from it. I think iDive (another name that was floating around) would have suited it much more. Though I bet the power boat theming will help make up for it.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

2012Jarrett said:
Honestly, that drop could be a lift hill. I don't quite think it fits the name "Divertical" since that drop is far from it. I think iDive (another name that was floating around) would have suited it much more. Though I bet the power boat theming will help make up for it.

When we voted for the name we didn't have an idea of how the ride would actually be.

Jarrett

TheCoasterCruiser said:
2012Jarrett said:

When we voted for the name we didn't have an idea of how the ride would actually be.

I know, but still. They shouldn't have put Divertical as an option of the drop isn't vertical. And I voted for it too. But when I heard "diving coaster" I was immediately thinking "B&M dive machine" and I was really wrong. I'm just saying, it's a horrible name for the ride.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster

2012Jarrett said:
TheCoasterCruiser said:
2012Jarrett said:

I know, but still. They shouldn't have put Divertical as an option of the drop isn't vertical. And I voted for it too. But when I heard "diving coaster" I was immediately thinking "B&M dive machine" and I was really wrong. I'm just saying, it's a horrible name for the ride.

You know, the word 'vertical' can mean more than just a drop at 90 degrees.
And yeah, i did the same.

Ethan

Strata Poster

Erm... guys? The lift is vertical.