What's new

Marmite Coasters

Jools

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
I want some Marmite on toast on a coaster, perhaps at Alton....
I don't think there's such a thing as 'you eitehr love it or you hate it' because even with Marmite, I know a few people who just think it's OK.

Yes but to be fair, I was basing it on the advertisment rather than real opinions, but surely you should realise what I mean, there a notable coasters when the majority of people either love it or loathe it rather then think it's okay.

spicy

Giga Poster
Huge major bump - but I was about to create the exact same topic after seeing the below tweet so don’t mind if I resurrect from the dead?

Now Smiler didn’t even exist back when this topic was active but I think Smiler could be the biggest ‘marmite coaster’ ever? I know a lot of people either love it or hate it.

Personally I don’t even understand how anyone could enjoy the ride experience Smiler offers, yet some people love it.

Are you in the love or hate camp for Smiler? and genuinely interested in any other Marmite coasters you can think of yet to be mentioned?

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I'd love it a lot more if it wasn't such a miserable experience trying to get on it. The queue is always huge and moves at a snails pace.

I'm always pleasantly surprised with the coaster though, shame it's so hard to get on it more than once a visit.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
I’d like to put Grizzly at KD up for consideration here. Some people find it unbearably rough while others love everything about it (I am the latter).

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Furius Baco for sure. Those who hate it think its satan's spawn, those who love it adore it. I personally like it, mostly for the launch and the intensity. But i can see why someone would despise it, it is a lot to swallow. It is so intense, but brutally rough at the same time.

The Smiler is a great one- people either find it great (me) or they think its heavily over-rated. I think its focus on inversions, and some transitions turn people off.
My most controversial one is freespins, which i believe are great rides.

Heth

Mega Poster
For the Smiler I am in both camps! I loved it when I first rode it, but literally the second time I rode it it made me feel sick! I both appreciate it but also feel it's an enormous gamble for me to actually ride. I both love and hate it.

Big marmite one for me is Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris, which I love but loads hate.

Another is Saw the Ride, which I want to like due to the great pre-lift section, but find the second half wildly uncomfortable.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
I like marmite.

I do NOT like Coaster Express.

I think Skyrush is a good example.
I think most people would agree that Skyrush is a great ride. When is certainly controversial are its restraints. In my case, I found them perfectly find but I know that they tend to dig on bigger people's thighs...
Furius Baco for sure. Those who hate it think its satan's spawn, those who love it adore it. I personally like it, mostly for the launch and the intensity. But i can see why someone would despise it, it is a lot to swallow. It is so intense, but brutally rough at the same time.

The Smiler is a great one- people either find it great (me) or they think its heavily over-rated. I think its focus on inversions, and some transitions turn people off.
My most controversial one is freespins, which i believe are great rides.
I must agree with Furius Baco!

As far as Free Spins go, I think they are fun and there is only one of them that actually tried to murder me: that one was Arashi at Nagashima SpaLand. The park actually got extra fins so as to enhance spinning, and boy does it spin! It put its American counterparts to shame!

Related to Free Spins, what about ZacSpins? Just 4 of them were built. Out of the bigger ones (Insane and Green Lantern) the Swedish version seems to get a lot love (I personally LOVED it and found it rather intense) but for some reason Magic Mountain's was so despised by GP and enthusiasts alike that it was eventually removed. I think it will be open at some point at La Ronde under the name Vipère and I think that the ride has been reprofiled...time will tell how well it will perform in Canada.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Related to Free Spins, what about ZacSpins? Just 4 of them were built. Out of the bigger ones (Insane and Green Lantern) the Swedish version seems to get a lot love (I personally LOVED it and found it rather intense) but for some reason Magic Mountain's was so despised by GP and enthusiasts alike that it was eventually removed. I think it will be open at some point at La Ronde under the name Vipère and I think that the ride has been reprofiled...time will tell how well it will perform in Canada.
The reason Green Lantern was so bad was because the trains had to be weighed down to conform with California law, which made it so the trains barely spun. It should be vastly approved as Vipère even without the reprofiling.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't think Baco and Smiler are in the same conversation.
Baco front row is an incredible experience, one of the better hydraulic launch experiences for sure. Back row Baco is like sticking your head up a cow's ass.... why put yourself through that 💩?
The Smiler is just bad wherever you sit, yeah, the front is slightly better from a roughness perspective but then you run the risk of being amputated 🤫

Saw is a pretty good example actually, everyone loves the indoor portion right? But there's probably a 70/30 split on disliking the outdoor section from what I gather. Oh look, 2 Gerstlauers in a marmite coaster discussion, so surprising 😉

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I don't actually find Baco to be particularly intense if I'm honest. It's rough as **** but I honestly don't see why people think it's so intense? Even the launch is pretty weak for a hydraulic imo. I'm right on the fence with it, I don't like or dislike it.

Smiler on the other hand is awesome. Only gripe is the restraints but the roughness doesn't bother me and I find it to be a very forceful ride.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
A marmite coaster that springs to mind for me is Icon. Some think it's the best coaster in the UK. Some however, find it tame and forceless.
Gotta say I was really let down with it - went on it so many times to see if it'd change my mind but I just couldn't get what all the hype was about. It was my favourite coaster at Pleasure Beach (although there isn't much competition) but it doesn't rank highly for me at all compared to other UK coasters.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
One that springs to my mind is Tornado at Bakken.

People either think it's amazing, or that it's trash. I've never heard someone say "it's alright".

For the record, I think it's a waste of good steel.

Matt N

CF Legend
I’d say that The Beast at Kings Island is a pretty marmite coaster. There seems to be very little in between with regard to people’s opinions on it; most seem to either absolutely love it to death, or think it’s absolutely terrible.

Matt N

CF Legend
^Sticking with Kings Island, what about Banshee? Depending on who you ask, it's either one of the best B&M inverters out there... or one of the worst.
I'm in the 'It's one of the best' camp.
Oh yes, Banshee is quite a good shout, actually! Whenever you see someone rank the B&M inverts they’ve done, Banshee is usually either at the very top or the very bottom; rarely (if ever) in the middle, for some reason!

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Oh yes, Banshee is quite a good shout, actually! Whenever you see someone rank the B&M inverts they’ve done, Banshee is usually either at the very top or the very bottom; rarely (if ever) in the middle, for some reason!
I think this is because it’s so different from all of the other inverts, and all of the other inverts are so similar to each other. Because of this, if you prefer long Banshee’s sustained positive g’s with swooping elements to the other inverts’ rapid fire intensity, you’ll have Banshee at the top, and vice versa.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Continuing with Kings Island I think you could even throw Vortex in the ring. I loved it, as did many others, while there seemed to be just as many saying "It's trash, tear it down."

RcTmix

Mega Poster
I’d say that The Beast at Kings Island is a pretty marmite coaster. There seems to be very little in between with regard to people’s opinions on it; most seem to either absolutely love it to death, or think it’s absolutely terrible.
Sorry for the double post.

While I agree with this perspective in general, I'm actually one of those people who think it's just ok. It has historical significance and it was a tremendous achievement for 1979. The helix is really good, and the rest of the ride is moderately fun. That being said Im not sure if it's my second or third favorite wooden coaster at Kings Island.