What's new

Marmite Coasters

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for the double post.

While I agree with this perspective in general, I'm actually one of those people who think it's just ok. It has historical significance and it was a tremendous achievement for 1979. The helix is really good, and the rest of the ride is moderately fun. That being said Im not sure if it's my second or third favorite wooden coaster at Kings Island.
Fair enough! You’re probably the first person I’ve ever heard have a fairly “middle-ground” opinion on Beast…

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
My 'average' opinion of Beast is that it's alright.

It's a bit rubbish in the day, but pretty great at night. Overall - "okay".

Howie

Donkey in a hat
My 'average' opinion of Beast is that it's alright.

It's a bit rubbish in the day, but pretty great at night. Overall - "okay".

See, me and @DelPiero did it right. We only had one ride on The Beast, and it was the sacred, pitch black night ride, last train of the night.
It was surreal, terrifying and unlike anything else I've ever experienced on a roller coaster. An absolute highlight of my goonhood. It's for that reason I've vowed to myself never to ride it again for fear of tarnishing that memory, cos I know full well that a bog standard daytime ride would be utter turd.

Last edited:

DelPiero

Strata Poster
See, me and @DelPiero did it right. We only had one ride on The Beast, and it was the sacred, pitch black night ride, last train of the night.
It was surreal, terrifying and unlike anything else I've ever experienced on a roller coaster. An absolute highlight of my goonhood. It's for that reason that I've vowed to myself never to ride it again for fear of tarnishing that memory, cos I know full well that a bog standard daytime ride would be utter turd.
Yep. No matter what anyone tells me about the Beast, the one time we rode it was absolutely incredible. That one experience will live with us forever.
I mean it's not a top 10 ride, but that experience is definitely in my top 3 ever.

Matt N

CF Legend
I’ve got two further nominations for this.

I think that The Ultimate at Lightwater Valley is/was pretty marmite. There were plenty of people who absolutely worshipped it, and held it up as one of their favourite UK coasters, while there were plenty of other people who absolutely despised it.

To a lesser extent, I also think that Olympia/Munich Looping and Icon are also somewhat marmite in that people either tend to absolutely love them or think they’re a bit average, with the “absolutely love” camp possibly being more prevalent for Olympia and the “it’s a bit average” camp possibly being more prevalent for Icon. I’ve done both, and with Olympia, I didn’t particularly enjoy it at all, so I fall firmly into the “don’t think much to it” camp, while I fall firmly into the “absolutely love it” camp with Icon!

tynemouthsurfer

Roller Poster
Oblivion at Alton Towers is one I just cant get excited about. I suppose if you thought of it as a drop tower - fine. As a coaster the one drop (spectacular as it might be) is not a good enough package overall for me.

Odyssey at Skeggy meanwhile I really enjoyed. It felt high and fast - particularly from the front row - which is not super common in the UK. I did not find it rough but I rarely do (except kiddy coasters that bang my knees...).

Agree with above comments on Icon - very smooth but underwhelming from a thrill standpoint.