What's new

Luna Park Sydney | New Area & Park Overhaul | 2021

Pear

Strata Poster
Luna Park in Sydney has announced a park overhaul that will involve the park closing for 6 months for renovations and new rides including a new Intamin hot racer!

760776d3e1840d33b8178dbc6a2cd5e1.png

ed0c824303bac850d6c6d39d586dcd5d.jpg

d44ca7edd2d5cb50d0724fac8e4df0e8.jpg

Looks like the park is also getting a Gerstlauer family boomerang, an indoor kiddie coaster, a frisbee, and some smaller family rides as well!

Last edited:

Gazza

Giga Poster
Wait when did Golden Horse start doing single rails?

Looks like a good expansion, LPS has been kind of crap, but they have done ok additions in past years like a nice wave swinger and an ARM drop tower, but this will fully round out the park, you can see a Gerstlauer family shuttle and a Kiddy Coaster like the Veggie Tales one at Dollywood, so from 1 cred to 4.

Anyhow I'm stoked, with the Woodie at SW and the Blue Fire clone at DW, it looks like we've got some decent coasters coming in a short period.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Well I wasn't expecting that. Interesting. I'm wanting to reserve judgement until it opens (I would say "until I can ride it", but that'll be far too far away to count for anything), but I'm equal parts sceptical and enticed by this. I think competition for RMC is no bad thing, but I also don't know if I think that looks any good, so...

I wouldn't bother. Reading is clearly not their strong suit. ;)

davidm

Strata Poster
Watched the render and was glad to see that they had not spited the wild mouse :) - not that the mouse was wonderful, just that it is wooden and no-one in their right mind should be spiting wooden wild mice should they :(

Initially thought that this was an "expansion area" behind an existing building, but then I went to look at it on Google maps at it and that area was already populated (only by some tat), something I totally missed when I visited last year as I had thought that the park ended at the big building after the mouse. No great loss; I'd only popped in to ride the mouse after all.

tmp.jpg

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Nice to see this place get an expansion, definitely seems to be long due. I think the Hot Racer looks ok, but like others have said it looks a bit short, and clearly doesn't have the pacing of a Raptor.

Great fit for the park and the country though, and a pleasant surprise. I like the other rides too, and it's nice to see them getting a good chunk of rides. Will definitely encourage more thoosies to go down there.

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Initially thought that this was an "expansion area" behind an existing building, but then I went to look at it on Google maps at it and that area was already populated (only by some tat), something I totally missed when I visited last year as I had thought that the park ended at the big building after the mouse. No great loss; I'd only popped in to ride the mouse after all.
There's a fairly low-budget walkthrough haunted house thing in the building at the end of the railway line. You didn't miss much.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I think it looks super cute and incredibly fun. I would've expected more air-time from Intamin or maybe I'm being spoiled by the look of RMC's Raptor's airtime. I hope the NIL provides more air than what appears in the animation. But yeah overall..FUN =).

Also...

Screen-Shot-2020-11-24-at-10-38-44.png

I find this claim a bit weird. If they're using tallest and fastest then they're acknowledging the Blue Fire with the spike, and if they are surely that coaster is both faster and taller? And if they're not counting that coaster because it's a swing launch rather than a multi launch then surely this is the "first multilaunch in Australia?" which would be a better marketing angle? I dunno I just find it weird unless I'm missing something.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I think it looks super cute and incredibly fun. I would've expected more air-time from Intamin or maybe I'm being spoiled by the look of RMC's Raptor's airtime. I hope the NIL provides more air than what appears in the animation. But yeah overall..FUN =).

Also...

Screen-Shot-2020-11-24-at-10-38-44.png

I find this claim a bit weird. If they're using tallest and fastest then they're acknowledging the Blue Fire with the spike, and if they are surely that coaster is both faster and taller? And if they're not counting that coaster because it's a swing launch rather than a multi launch then surely this is the "first multilaunch in Australia?" which would be a better marketing angle? I dunno I just find it weird unless I'm missing something.
It wouldn't be the first multi launch in Australia even if they exclude the modded Blue Fire clone because Jet Rescue exists.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I think this looks like a really great fit for the park and hopefully a step into a direction that isn't a mix of random fairground rides with some old stuff (Wild Mouse, Rotor, Funhouse) thrown in for a good measure.

I think that considering the limits they had to work with (space and noise), this is pretty much one of the best rides they could get and a definite improvement over the old rumors of a Maurer Spinner in that general area.

X: Uknown

Mega Poster
Well I wasn't expecting that. Interesting. I'm wanting to reserve judgement until it opens (I would say "until I can ride it", but that'll be far too far away to count for anything), but I'm equal parts sceptical and enticed by this. I think competition for RMC is no bad thing, but I also don't know if I think that looks any good, so...

I wouldn't bother. Reading is clearly not their strong suit. ;)
Sorry, was sleep deprived. Looks amazing!

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow; I don’t think anyone was expecting this!

Should be a really good fit for the park and the wider Australian theme park scene! In a nice homage to the park’s history, it would also appear that the Hot Racer is being named Big Dipper, a name which 2 other coasters throughout their history have had.

Combined with the unique wooden wild mouse, this should now make Luna Park a very desirable place to go for enthusiasts in Australia!