What's new

Liseberg 2011 - AtmosFear!! (Report posted)

^^ I doubt that, it would have been cooler since you get the view you got with the old tower :(

I guess it's just because it's a test, but it seems to brake sooner than the similar drop towers at Kings Dominion & Kings Island.

^ You mean slow down earlier, or that the brake fins are positioned higher up?

It's only a low level test so it's natural for it to slow down that quick, I really hope that you hit the hole at speed when they drop it from the top, that will add a great deal to the ride...

I guess it's that the brake fins are positioned higher up, but I'm not sure since it isn't dropping from the same height as the others. I'm just hoping that it would enter the hole at a higher speed, as that would be the case if the other two had a similar loading station.

^^ I did an overlay with DropZone ont my last image and it looks like the brakes start at roughly the same point compared to the height. It's a bit hard to do since you can't really judge the loading level on Atmosfear, but it looked to be at the right position...

Went into Gothenburg today, and hanged out on the roof of a parking garage for half an hour today to see if I could grab some shots/vids of some testing action...

Atmosfear031701.png

But they were only doing some slow clearance checks :( on the brakes or something during the time I was there.

Still it's going to be awesome!!!

Can't wait for them to release the date for the Pressday :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_NYVGLkeNA[/youtube]
New video from above, dropping from the top this time.

Looks like it slows down quite a bit before it enters the building below, but then again it's an empty drop car at the moment, with some additional weight it will take a bit longer to slow down...

OMG, does that music play from the ride?

<3

Wow! I could alomst feel the adrenaline just by watching that drop from above :--D I love those gyro drops!

Regarding whether it'll spin or not, I'am assuming it will. I mean why wouldn't it? All of the other 'gyro' drops does..

andrus said:
Regarding whether it'll spin or not, I'am assuming it will. I mean why wouldn't it? All of the other 'gyro' drops does..
Not all of them do, and I can't spot anything in the structure of the drop car that hint's that it would either, everything seems fixed in place. They have really streamlined the design of the car so that only the essential bits are there no extras :(
Also there are no drive motors on the catch-car as there is on, for example, Scream...

^It does.

I assumed that they all rotated as well, but the one at either Kings Island or Kings Dominion (can't remember which one without checking) doesn't. It really does take something away from the ride, and almost makes the whole concept of a "gyro" drop pointless.

^I think the one at Kings Island rotated on the way up. From what I remember anyway. :)

How come parks choose to install a gyro drop without the rotating feature? Is it due to costs, maintenance or a slightly longer ride cycle (capacity)? I'm of course a little bit dissapointed that it wont spin.. But what the heck! It'll still be Europes tallest free fall ride and bloody awesome!! :--D

There's no big news, but the ride has started to pop up in swedish tv commercials, so I'm really excited for this ride now!

^ If I remember those questions on the press day I'll be sure to ask (or why not come yourself and ask?)...
I haven't seen the CM's (don't really watch tv), but I guess that they would be pretty similar to the video they posted when they announced the ride. Drove past Liseberg twice today, but no movement on the tower to report. It's a bit of a shame to live this close but not seen it test in real life (except for in crawler mode)...

190392_206153806080860_119312944764947_725791_78828_n.jpg

Latest update on the Liseberg FB page states that they have started to do the final painting on the tower, first a cleaning and then paint.

I do hope that they keep this dark colour, it looks so much better than the pink before...

SOURCE