What's new

Last chance to see...

A-Kid

Giga Poster
rollermonkey said:
A-Kid said:
^ Blivvy?!? You having a laugh!!! One of the best UK rides! I can see an upgrade, but not getting ripped out. No B&M has ever been removed anywhere before.

:?:
Gambit --> Batman --> Goliath
Batman Knight Flight --> Dominator
Orochi --> Unknown @ Walygator
Chang --> Destination unknown

As in totaly removed (i.e ripped down), not like relocated is what I ment.

A

Anonymous

I think that the Big Dipper is going to get ditched at BPB, The Rollercoaster is back as a fill-in when everything else is busy. I wouldn't be suprised if BPB got rid of the three woodies, which would be gutting.

I know the Steeplechase is looking bad, but I love that ride.

BPB can't afford new rides, and the place is falling apart. :( I still go every year, and it seems to be sadder and sadder every time go.

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I really can't see BPB getting rid off all three of their woodies or the Steeplechase as it's so unique.

I can definitely see one of the woodies going though, my money would be on Roller Coaster, as along with SI2 that would clear a lot of space for a new coaster/a bunch of flats. Nash is iconic as is the Big Dipper (plus it's so intertwined with everything in that area and it's getting a lot of work done since it's crash so I doubt it's going anywhere).

I also don't see either Submission or Enterprise (more Submission) being at Alton much longer.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Rollercoaster wont be getting removed anytime soon.

My money's on Superbowl and the Rev getting removed in the near future.

Jake

Strata Poster
Enicomb said:
I also don't see either Submission or Enterprise (more Submission) being at Alton much longer.

We'll see Enterprise go first, I've heard that as soon as AT get a new flat, Enterprise will be out. It is ANCIENT afterall.

Submission will be there for a while I think, it still attracts large crowds (although, they never run both sides).

Ripsaw and Blade have had it too. Alton need to sort out their flat situation badly!

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Enicomb said:
I really can't see BPB getting rid off all three of their woodies or the Steeplechase as it's so unique.

You really see management at PBB sitting round a table fighting to keep Steeplechase?
"But it's unique" screamed Amanda.
:p

No, Steeplechase is a burden to Pleasure Beach. 1 of the rails { usually the middle } always has downtime, add that on top of the pisspoor capacity and that's a living nightmare for any park. Also look at the sheer size of the ride, it takes up so much room, I keep bringing this up because room is one major essential in Pleasure Beach.

The woodies will eventually be removed, if PBB have any witts about them. Hopefully Dipper first, I know Grand National is probably the one they will cradle till it literally collapses.

Martyn B

CF Legend
If BPB were to ditch Dips, they would have after the incident, surely?

I cant see any of the classic Woodies in the UK going. All of them are kind of the centre piece of the park they're in.

And the thing with BPB, the only coaster that really takes up alot of space (on its own), is Nash. Everything else, you'd need to remove 2 or 3 rides to actually free up the space. Well I suppose Wild Mouse could be removed, and replaced with what? A Wild Mouse? No thanks!

With Steels, I dont really class Knightmare as a biggy, as we haven't had it that long. Corky at FL has be on the chopping list, along with possibly Colossus in the near future. I dunno. I'm just naming names now!

There is one coaster I will always worry for the future of, mainly due to the operation of the park itself, Jubilee Odyssey.

This is a good topic, though it is making me sad!

Seriously though, any coaster being destroyed will make me sad, naturally it would, as it is a part of my biggest interest.

These are the coasters that I believe have uncertain future:

Vampire
Shockwave
Ultimate
Jubilee Odyssey

And the even sadded thing is, they're all pretty unique to the UK (in their own little way).

Brookes

Giga Poster
With Steels, I dont really class Knightmare as a biggy, as we haven't had it that long. Corky at FL has be on the chopping list, along with possibly Colossus in the near future. I dunno. I'm just naming names now!

I wouldn't think Colossus would be going anywhere anytime soon, it's only 7 years old and is loved by the general public.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
These are the coasters that I believe have uncertain future:

Vampire
Shockwave
Ultimate
Jubilee Odyssey

And the even sadder thing is, they're all pretty unique to the UK (in their own little way).

Vampire; not sure - remember the trains are comparatively new, and it is still one of the Major rides at the park, so unless something big was coming to Chessie, i really cant see it going, while it is 'healthy.'

Shockwave; Colin Bryan himself has said the ride isn't due to go any time soon, but it really could do with a new paint job. Drayton are obviously more likely to lose the Buffalo, and if we were really lucky, G-force, although I remember reading somewhere that the park were considering enclosing the ride, which would at least add something to it.

Ultimate; only if LWV itself dies - the ride is intrinsically part of the park, and the recently aired intent of the park to fix it up bears testament to this.

Jubilee Odyssey; possibly yes, but only if they could sell it, and I can't really see it ending up at another UK park.

At BPB, I see Valhalla at more risk than the woodies, just for sheer cost of operation, and definitely the revo, which could easily end up at a smaller park. Steeplechase probably has a few more years in it, and if a woodie is to die, my money would be on Rollercoaster first, replaced route for route by some manor of launch coaster, finances providing.

Talking of which, I also fear for Velocity, which costs the park a fortune in running costs and maintenance, and really wouldn't be surprised to see this end up elsewhere, to be replaced, along with the corky (which'll go to Pleasure island to die) with FL's much rumoured Woodie.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^ When I spoke to Nick, the Operations Director at FL a few weekends ago, he mentioned that he would like to see a launch coaster (either wood or steel, but not Intamin) in the grassy strip next to the monorail.

That would leave FL with two launch coasters which is a bit pointless.

If they removed Velocity, which I don't think they will, then that would clear a load of room near the turns which will be ideal for reveloping the area around Corkscrew.

FL is a resort aimed at families. I cannot see them removing rides with lower height limits, like Velocity and Corkscrew (and presumably the Dragon) to make way for other attractions just yet.

Martyn B

CF Legend
along with the corky (which'll go to Pleasure island to die)

LOL. I know they do get a kick out of sending their old crap to Pleasure Island, but I really couldn't imagine them given PI Corky. I wouldn't put it past them, but I find it very unlikely.

And Velocity is a fantastic coaster, removing it would be a bad move IMO, but thats just because I love it. Removing the Corkscrew for future developements makes sense, not Velocity.

andrus

Giga Poster
Brookes said:

I wouldn't think Colossus would be going anywhere anytime soon, it's only 7 years old and is loved by the general public.
I don't think colossus is beeing removed either. Mainly because it's still a world record holder and therefore a big magnet for the prak! But it's already very paniful, and the track layout is pretty dull... I don't like it personally and the fact that it takes up a hell lot of land, the single largest coaster at thorpe, makes it ideal to be removed and exchanged by an A-class coaster! (but honestly x has to go first.. )

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
If BPB were to ditch Dips, they would have after the incident, surely?

I cant see any of the classic Woodies in the UK going. All of them are kind of the centre piece of the park they're in.

And the thing with BPB, the only coaster that really takes up alot of space (on its own), is Nash. Everything else, you'd need to remove 2 or 3 rides to actually free up the space. Well I suppose Wild Mouse could be removed, and replaced with what? A Wild Mouse? No thanks!

Nobody can see the woodies going, they've been there for so long. All I am saying is, sometime these woodies will have to go, no doubt about it. And in that situation I reckon Nash will be the final contender to stay in the park { out of the woodies }.

Space is an issue obviously as you pointed out, and when you first enter the park it's a visible fact. But if PBB wanted space, then the most plausible contenders would be; Space Invader 2, Avalanche & Steeplechase {Possibly even Revolution}.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
Ian said:
^ When I spoke to Nick, the Operations Director at FL a few weekends ago, he mentioned that he would like to see a launch coaster (either wood or steel, but not Intamin) in the grassy strip next to the monorail.

That would leave FL with two launch coasters which is a bit pointless.

If they removed Velocity, which I don't think they will, then that would clear a load of room near the turns which will be ideal for reveloping the area around Corkscrew.

FL is a resort aimed at families. I cannot see them removing rides with lower height limits, like Velocity and Corkscrew (and presumably the Dragon) to make way for other attractions just yet.

FL do have form for removing biggies because of cost and not fitting portfolio; I don't see it going soon, just sooner than we think. The corkscrew I'd imagine to have maybe a couple of years left in it, and really wouldn't be surprised to see that whole area become a themed section, much like Thomas Land at Drayton, as the park seems increasingly interested in licensed characters,such as postman pat, and that I suspect may dictate velocity's long term future in the park.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
<Facepalm

I just realized that the thread title is the name of a book.

Alas, I've not read it as it's quite difficult to get in the US.

Douglas Adams, R.I.P.

HowieP

Roller Poster
Here in the states, Son Of Beast at Kings Island has been closed since June of this year because someone claimed they were injured during the ride. Never rode it (and I am going to Kings Island for the first time in October), but seen the negative reviews for it (before and after the loop was removed) so it wouldn't surprise me if it did disappear. Cedar Fair and KI will be deciding its fate after the season is done.

^ Haha yah, you're not missing out on much, trust me. I got the credit just a few days before it closed, actually, but really it's as bad as people say it is.