What's new

Last chance to see...

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
With the death of the Corkscrew, in readiness for sw6, we lost an icon. The reality is though, nemesis is only ten years newer, and compared like for like, is two thirds of the way through it's active service, meaning sooner than later, we may be bidding it a tearful adieu.

Now until recently, we all assumed that the next big beast to die out would be either the ultimate or Knightmare, but recent news would appear to have debunked that idea.

What I am curious to know though, is Which ride you fear for the long term future for, or if your clever, which ride given a sixty minute makeover, as the ultimate would appear to be getting, deserves a new lease of life?

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Nemesis is fine for a while.

Corkscrew was built in 1979, a design years older than that built from an even earlier design by Arrow. It was designed as a small cheap ride for small parks.

Nemesis was built in 1993, the concept was built in 1991 by B&M as a large, modern, permanant coaster for big parks. 15 years, a different manufacturer and purpose makes a lot of difference in these kind of things. The fact Corkscrew had aged so bad and was on a site with so much potential for a big, modern ride also contributed.

The wooden coasters at Blackpool seem to be heading to the grave.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Alton would not, I repeat not take away Nemesis while it still runs fine.
I would probably be looking at the North or East coastlines for they are probably one of the more endangered areas for parks.

I reckon PMBO could do with some work.

Jake

Strata Poster
It's weird to think that coasters like Nemesis, Oblivion, Air and Rita will all be gone eventually... and I know how old i'll feel when that day comes!

There have been rumours about Drayton replacing Shockwave at some point, although these have been circulating for about 5 years now and nothing has come of it yet...

I wouldn't be suprised to see Steeplechase go soon... it's classic, but hardly iconic, and it does seem to take up quite a lot of space...

I'd like to see Grand National replaced with a racing/dueling GCI, or an Intamin plug&play. I'm all for wooden coasters, especially dueling ones, but I think Nash has had its day now. It'll never happen though, because BPB is gay.

Mr Nash

Hyper Poster
I'd say most of Blackpools coasters are looking slightly dodgey at the moment.

As much as I hate to say it,but I reckon Vampire at Chessie is probably about to hammer it's first nail into it's coffin.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Jake said:
I wouldn't be suprised to see Steeplechase go soon... it's classic, but hardly iconic, and it does seem to take up quite a lot of space....

Yeah you don't realise when your riding, but the footprint of Steeplechase it probably larger than Nemesis's footprint.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
As far as steel, I can sadly see Vampire with a limited number of days left. I'd give it 7 years max. Its hard to think its ran for nearly 19 seasons now... Vekoma can only do so much really to an Arrow...

X\: I'd give even less amount of time. Really.

Nemesis I can't see going anywhere anytime soon. But I bet its hell to maintain. I bet the damp really gets to the structure, being open and in a hole to hold moisture in. I can see it having a major overhaul within the next 5 years.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Alton have thrown everything including it's pride into Nemesis. I am pretty sure they'd spend everything on maintaining it if it came down to it.

Well, since Cedar Point is kind of running out of room to expand, I'd expect we'll see some of their older rides coming down. Snake River Falls is rumoured to be gone in the next few seasons which seems really plausible now because they're adding a new water ride right in the area. I wouldn't be surprised to see Disaster Transport go, which would be a shame because I've always thought that ride was fun, and if given maybe a new theme, it could be good. But, it has had its time and now nobody ever really rides it, so I can't expect Cedar Point would give it a fancy shmancy revamp as opposed to just tearing it down.

DjTommyB

Hyper Poster
I reckon Corkscrew at Flamingo Land will be on it's way out in a couple of years and probably some of the old coasters at BPB like Steeplechase.

EDIT: Scenic Railway at Great Yarmouth anyone?

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I really don't know to be honest. In fact, do we really know the life expectancy of a B&M?

Steeplechase is a tough one in my opinion. With the demise of Wacky Soap Box Racers, Steeplechase is the only one of it's kind left, and in my opinion, still gives a very fun and enjoyable ride, especially with friends! (Green Track for the win!) I don't really think that BPB will be getting rid of it any time soon to be honest, it's too special.

Regarding the woodies at Blackpool, I don't really see why they would go either. They're what make Blackpool in my opinion. They've lasted this long, why not even longer? However if one were to go, I'd say it'd be Rollercoaster, even though I hate to think about that. :(

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Thats the one I expect to go, being closed most of the year, but with the crash I expect Dipper to go as well, but hopefully they wont, they seem proud of their old rides.

dj-fireball999

Mega Poster
I really hope they don't though, as I had so much fun on them last week! Also, has anyone thought about Wild Mouse at BPB? I guess a lot of people hate it, as it is generally very violent and occasionally painful, but on the other hand, it attracts pretty big queues in the park! I absolutely love it, because of the MENTAL amounts of airtime! :--D

Jake

Strata Poster
In my eyes, Roller Coaster is what Big Dipper fails to be - a smooth, fun, family woodie.

I'd save Roller Coaster over Big Dipper ANY DAY.

What about Avalanche? Nobody would really miss it, it's just a filler, and probably the worst bobsled coaster out there. It could free up a fair bit of space too, right by the water.

Blaze

Hyper Poster
Wild mouse has to stay. Its unbe-bloody-leivable.
I enjoyed Dipper, hate to see it go, Avalanche was quite good, wouldn't card too much either way.
PMBO? :d Joking.
Irn Bru naz in soon, nobody goes on it. That would be up there with Nash going, a disaster.

andrus

Giga Poster
Even though X:\ no way out is fairly new I really hope they tear it down soon! The ride is totally rubbish and the shed it's located in is ugly as crap!

I would like thorpe to tear it down and keep the area green so that people get an area to relax in, something the park is missing today..

Enicomb

Mega Poster
I can'yt see X: lasting all that much longer tbh. Nor can I can Roller Coaster being around for long either (they should remove it and Space Invader they'd have loads of space to put something good in; space being something BPB severely lacks).

At Alton towers? I reckon the next coaster to go would be Oblivion, simply because it's a bit old hat.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
^ Blivvy?!? You having a laugh!!! One of the best UK rides! I can see an upgrade, but not getting ripped out. No B&M has ever been removed anywhere before.

#pmbo

Roller Poster
I can't see Nemesis or Oblivion going before X no way out or one of the old rides at BPB. I don'tthink it would be a good idea to remove Oblivion when it has one of the biggest queues when I go there (except maybe Rita...).