What's new

Krake - B&M dive machine for Heide Park

CMonster

Giga Poster
Oh, I thought it was just some picture off of Google or something...

That is sick. If they pull off this theming... on par with Oblivion maybe?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
bob_3_ said:
I have a really good image of the drop going into a mass of tentacles, with teeth round the tunnel.

I reckon it might be something along those lines. The logo looks like it could be based around that concept.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Because black is awesome? Duh....

Also, is anyone else not a little bit sceptical? This is Merlin we're talking about....

Tomatron

Giga Poster
It's not at Alton Towers or Thorpe Park, so it won't be bad.

I also second the idea of a Heide Park Live next year. And maybe a trip back to Hansa Park with it.

nealbie

CF Legend
Dost mine eyes deceive me?! Tomatronatron making perfect sense?! :p

I'll put an end to that with some anti-German spiel! ;)

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Ja wohl Neal! :p

By the way, has anyone seen how they announcned the ride? They sunk the Mississippi paddle steamer in the lake to make room for it! :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQLnLzdT8GM[/youtube]

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This ride looks exciting. I want to go to Germany some time.

Also, could this possibly present a new class of Dive Machines? While DMs in general are impressive and big and whatnot, they tend to be awfully expensive. These light-versions might provide the same thrill, for a somewhat smaller price tag. I'm not entirely sure on the details of this coaster, and exactly how it differs from regular Dive Machines, but I'm looking forward to find out.

Bring on spring 2011! (and quick, please! I'm sick of winter already!)

peep

CF Legend
Ok that announcement was awesome. However I will reserve judgement for the ride until I see something like artwork or construction.

Xpress

Strata Poster
UC said:
The most expensive parts of coasters are the footers and supports. I don't see that changing much.

Well, with a B&M, you'd figure that the track was the most expensive part. Instead of positioning a few rails, and welding on some square tubing like with an Intamin, you have to plasma cut out all of the pieces to the track, carefully put them together, and then weld.

Seems like the track would be pricier :?

It'll be cheaper, I'm sure, but affordable for smaller parks? Doubt it.

Well that depends- How small is this "small" park?

spicy

Giga Poster
That announcement was awesome! How comes we never have anything like that in UK parks?!

They should have sunk the Thorpe Belle for Saw :lol:

I'm looking forward to see how this turns out, is this actually being built mostly over the lake then?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Xpress said:
UC said:
The most expensive parts of coasters are the footers and supports. I don't see that changing much.

Well, with a B&M, you'd figure that the track was the most expensive part. Instead of positioning a few rails, and welding on some square tubing like with an Intamin, you have to plasma cut out all of the pieces to the track, carefully put them together, and then weld.

Seems like the track would be pricier :?

It'll be cheaper, I'm sure, but affordable for smaller parks? Doubt it.

Well that depends- How small is this "small" park?

I'm guessing you just want negative attention for posting retarded statements like that?

p15406.jpg

Those triangles in the spine aren't welded. It's a solid piece of flatstock that was cut and bent to certain specifications. To cut the crossties, they have a large oxygen powered cutting machine that can cut out dozens of crossties from a single sheet of steel at the same time. To bend the rails, they simply use is a rail bender. Finally, they weld all the pieces together. Intamin track, on the other hand, needs many square and round steel tubes cut to certain lengths with correct angles and shapes on the ends, and weld dozens and dozens of pieces together. The B&M track is a lot easier to manufacture.