What's new

Krake - B&M dive machine for Heide Park

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
What's quite funny is that the apparent 'recreation' Pablo posted is wrong...

And has been said, pay attention to the fact we're moaning about the theming fail... No-one gives a damn about the layout being short or whatever, mainly as DMs (imo) are probably one of the few coaster types that are better short, hence why Oblivion works a lot better than its American cousins...

I'm not holding my breath about the new theming though... But I hope Merlin can prove the doubters wrong with it... It's a big test for them to provide the full experience after a cock up... So it's a case of wait and see...

I do love the music though... Top notch stuff, hopefully as it's Germany there'll be a slight chance it'll be available on CD or sommat...

nadroJ

CF Legend
Pablo237 said:
HAHAHAHA What did you expect?? HYPE FAIL!!

That was rather is disappointing. And just one inversion and a airtime hill?? Just by looking at the layout plans you could tell it would be disappointing.

I don't know what 'that was rather is disappointing' is supposed to mean, but what I was referring to was that I was disappointed at the fact that the coaster doesn't interact with the theming as well we were lead to believe it would, and I just can't understand why because it was a totally feasible concept.

I think the layout looks pretty standard, Oblivion is awesome and that layout is even smaller than this one, go figure.

Anyway, you're annoying me. Why post on these forums if you won't even try to be polite about the way you say things from the offset?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I wonder if the change to shape of the the water splash creating thingy to reduce drag so it would wouldn't slow down too much?

EDIT:

Kyle took a shot of Griffon from the side right at the end of it's splashdown yesterday, so it's a great shot for comparison...
KUAZm.jpg

dsc_0469_3.jpg

Pablo237

Roller Poster
That would have been awesome if they did theming to match the commercial. The boat with the Krake mouth would have been awesome.

I like the smaller trains. They look awesome.

Lofty

CF Legend
Apparently, according to Screamscape. Something held them back this year in terms of completing the theming to the standard they wanted to. But, for 2012, they plan on completing all of the theming to which they originally designed..

jokerman

Giga Poster
^To be honest, screamscape probably just read rumours on this site and others and decided to post it as news...

Joey, I'd have thought it actually caused more drag to make the water go at that angle rather than back. Possibly it's so it can be seen from further away in the park. You can't really get that close to the splash for this ride, so it needs to be bigger to be more effective.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Directing the water jet more steeply definitely requires more energy. It's common sense really. :)

I really really hope that that rumour is true. If not, this will be an awfully big let down.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Jokerman, I meant because the new buckets are curved. The old style buckets are angled. Maybe that causes more drag?

Krake will be moving faster during the splashdown, but Griffon and Sheikra weigh a lot more.

Sheikra's and Griffon's splashdown doesn't seem to slow the cars much, I wonder if it's more noticable on Krake?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I'd have thought the angled scoops would cause more drag. I remember looking at curved and angled vanes in one of my modules this semester and the curved ones were much more 'efficient' at redirecting the flow. Having said that, that lecture was a bit of a muddle! :p

My concern with this is how much the train slows when it hits the water. You'll be at full speed, levelling out, then suddenly hitting the water could slam you forwards onto the restraints. I guess we'll have to wait for someone to go ride it and tell us!

marc

CF Legend
The splash would be different as its not meant to be in an open space like that, when they get the correct theming there it will probably look different. Maybe it is meant to shoot out a boat wreck or something like that?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ On the contrary, I think not. Screamscape said the theming was added last minute, which means the design plans were most likely already set for the train and layout (theming often comes last in the pecking order).

Alterations are very possible with the splashdown, as we saw with Sheikra, but it could be possible that the safety concern may have arisen from having the splashdown inside theming.

marc

CF Legend
The current theme was added last minute as they stuff they wanted did not work.

I do not imagine they wanted to get riders wet, I am probably wrong though.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I'm not sure about that. They definitely knew how 'steep' the water jet was going to be, and they must have known that it might catch the riders.

Smithy

Strata Poster
:|:|:|

That video Ben posted.

Just after the drop. Take a look at the restraint to the left of where the rider is sat. Surely that shouldn't happen?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^What shouldn't happen? It looks just like it was a ratchet click too high. I probably have around that much movement in my harness on Oblivion or Nemesis (well, I purposefully do it on Oblivion).

Smithy

Strata Poster
Looks like it drops a good few inches, almost as it it's not locked in place by anything other than the seatbelt strap. Could just be a camera trick, the movement looked quite severe though