What's new

Krake - B&M dive machine for Heide Park

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Whilst I'm disappointed that you don't fall into the monster mouth with an epic splashdown partially covered creating a dripping tunnel, from a narrative point of view this makes more sense... Even considering the advertising. You very near miss being engulfed by the Krake, and some other ship has had a less fortunate fate. Good idea, just less thank fantastically executed?

The theming is nice, but that mouth... Well, I think it would have been more effective with no mouth at all now. It just looks awkward where it is now. Just a bit of a ...joke? A friend of mine suggested it would be infinitely better if the mouth was somehow obscured from onlookers. so it didn't look so obviously not a threat.

Who knows if the mouth/tunnel was ever an intention, maybe it got dropped or maybe it was never intended in the first place.

I think it still looks good, it's just a shame that the bit we were all so drawn to doesn't exist.

I still think this will be better than the US ones... Just got a feeling. The smaller drops on the US ones are better than the longer ones. I thought the first drop on Griffon in particular was quite possibly the most forceless first drop on any ride bigger than a Big Apple.

I'd also like to point out that it has a real splashdown, which is physically impossible, remember? This ride defies all laws of physics. So respect it.

Tim

Roller Poster
190150_10150105297216629_120907856628_6208617_2661706_n.jpg

Something must have held them up dreadfully during construction. They actually went back and removed a very significant structure to get this done on time!

And all the other area theming is perfectly finished off

I know the joke here is that UC was being daft for saying it surely couldn't be a water splash in the middle of the ride- but could his argument actually be what caused some delays here? Maybe BaM tested this for longer due to unexpected issues with exactly the things that were pointed out against the concept?

I would dearly love them to revisit this maybe next off season and add the final touch, but you can't argue with the videos, people are having a great time on the ride and running from the water splash irrespective of substitute theming!

Its a shame the turnaround time for building attractions is so tight nowadays. It must really put a ton of pressure on the design and construction teams. One timeline snag and all the tasks back up

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Who knows if the mouth/tunnel was ever an intention, maybe it got dropped or maybe it was never intended in the first place.

I've actually read a few reports that state that the mouth didn't quite meet the requirements to surround the drop so they decided to place is next to it. It would explain why the mouth never got installed untill only a few days before opening! It may be fanboy-ism here, but miscalculations do happen, and with EVERYTHING stating and showing it dropping into the mouth, I have a feeling something must've gone wrong along the line.

The disappointing thing is the park representative stated that they're happy with the improvised out come, which means they'll probably not bother reverting back to the initial idea.

Anyway, there's alot of close up pictures on a trip report on TPR. If you get over the mouth thing, I do actually think they've done well with the rest of the ride (maybe get rid of the cheap stickers on the train) If I never knew it would drop into the mouth, I probably would be very impressed with the theming in the lake, it's got great detail in it, as does the station and viewing areas.

EDIT: ^ THAT IMAGE, I couldn't remember dreaming or not but I could;ve swore they put tunnel things on the drop. I think that pretty much confirms that plans were changed =( massive massive shame.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I hadn't seen that photo Tim just posted till today. I had no idea they started to so obviously construct something.

Looking at the splashdown... the wave is really, really tall. It looks taller than Sheikra and Griffons. I dunno if that's an illusion created by the smaller train and track...? What do you guys think? I can't find pics from the same view to really compare. It seems lie the water is being forced up really, really fast.

lhg111de4ng472u000cm50.jpg

dsc_0469_3.jpg

Maybe it was something to do with the height and force of that and potential structural damage?

Maybe B&M advised they scrap the idea?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I think the splash is alot bigger, I mean it almost reaches the height of the immelman! Looks like you actually get abit wet on this too.

dsc_0446_1.jpg

dsc_0426_1.jpg

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
The height of the wave will no doubt be proportional to the velocity, as that will make a significant difference to the pressure of the water being forced out of the piping...

So in theory, as the splash is at the start of the ride where the velocity is the highest, that's why it's bigger than the finale splashes of Griffon and SheiKra...

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster
It has to do with the spout thingy :lol:

If you look close enough the thing that launches the water is rounded (better water flow I guess)
dsc_0429_3.jpg

But on sheikra its not rounded.
h36v16k019j00036d2elvu.jpg

Edit: Krake's is also angled different

Martyn B

CF Legend
I remember that UC's arguement was that it seemed risky to have a real water splash after the first drop - and rightly so, yet not only did they do that, they kept the trim on too!

BOO!

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Very dramatic and atmospheric, perfect for a theme park.

It's good news if they do make a proper mouth for next season.

Dave

CF Legend
I just looked at Hanno's pictures on TPR, but does this Dive Machine have a magnetic brake instead of the usual chain 'brake' to slow the train over the drop?

dsc_0394_1.jpg

From TPR

jokerman

Giga Poster
Possibly, but it would also require something else as well, because a magnetic brake wont stop the train completely over the edge of a drop like that.

Dave

CF Legend
But the train never stops on that section, only slows it down to a crawling speed to give a sense of 'stopping'

Pablo237

Roller Poster
Oh come on!! Are you people kidding me?? You are saying that you really couldn't tell the layout?? There were tons of aerial pictures of construction showing the layout!!

Even this person from Nov 2010 could tell the layout before it was finished:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1tSCzzircg[/youtube]

The layout was so obvious and predictable to tell from the aerial photos alone. It was so easy to tell fthat it was going to be 1 inversion and 1 airtime hill and back to station.

Anyways, This seems disappointing. Just one inversion and a hill.
The Layout should have been like this:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fseofAV1ogA&feature=related[/youtube]

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^We knew what the layout was going to be AGES ago, we're just disappointed at the theming.

:roll:

Ben

CF Legend
Dave said:
I just looked at Hanno's pictures on TPR, but does this Dive Machine have a magnetic brake instead of the usual chain 'brake' to slow the train over the drop?

Nah, you can see the chain in this video, at about 2:48...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-07dTb52RR0&feature=player_embedded#at=184[/youtube]

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Pablo237 said:
Oh come on!! Are you people kidding me?? You are saying that you really couldn't tell the layout?? There were tons of aerial pictures of construction showing the layout!!
[snip]
WTF are you talking about? No one is talking about the layout. We were all aware ages ago exactly what this ride would be doing. We are discussing the theming and other details that have changed or were not evident in plans.

Pay attention. You'll quickly make enemies if you continue how you are.