What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Re: Kings Island 2014 Roller Coaster - FOOTER PHOTOS ON 8

I was hoping that they would keep the whole Beast thing going here since there hasn't been one in a while and based on the signs on the construction walls, it looks like they could be keeping it here.

What I was thinking is the tallest wingrider in the world that would be called Winged Beast. The story behind it could be that the Son of Beast escaped from the enclosure of Son of Beast's story and then got into some radioactive waste and mutated so that it ended up with wings, and now if you go prowling around in the forest there's a chance the Winged Beast could swoop down and get you. If Gatekeeper's successful I see this being successful too. And let's be honest, seeing winged trains with beast-themed shells would be sick with LED eyes.

I could also seen the rumored B&M giga going in, but if it does then I think it'll be different than the rumored Leviathan clone just because Leviathan was designed to go around the perimeter of a park similar to Intimidator, and if they're using the hilly Son of Beast plot of land then I would imagine that they will make it at least slightly terrain-y. Speed hills that hug knolls and such.

theRock-steel

Mega Poster

If it is a B&M, keep in mind that their plant is right there near Cincinnati. There could be pieces of supports at the park very soon.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

It is worth noting that the timing of cement footers being placed does not necessarily mean a large attraction.

Cedar Point had Maverick footers placed at the beginning of 2006, a whole year before Maverick's opening in 2007. That was the same year Skyhawk opened - people were more excited about cement footers than the new ride. :p

Kings Island could be working on a similar schedule to what we saw with Maverick - building during the open season.

Intricks

Strata Poster

Didn't Leviathan footers, or at least SOME form of work on the site, start a year in advance as well?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

Nemesis of oblivion said:
An Inverted Wingrider! Best of both worlds :wink:

Or a Hyper Wingrider cool)

The inverted wingrider I don't think will ever happen for a few reasons:
1. The feeling of riding with nothing above or below you can already be achieved with the current model. They won't bother re-engineering something that they already have.
2. This would cause a lot of support issues with the supports having to reach around the excessively wide ride envelope to hit the top of the track.
3. Part of the huge appeal with the wingrider design is that the trains can be themed extensively (Swarm, Gatekeeper, Wild Eagle, ect.) and there are a lot more theming opportunities for something seen from the top than bottom.

The hyper wingrider, on the other hand, is probably what Kings Island. It seems they have been favoring B&M lately (Leviathan, Gatekeeper) and with the plant so close by it would be nuts for KI not to do this. They don't have a true inverted coaster, and seeing as these wing coasters seem to be adequate (and more) substitutes for inverts, it's a perfect fit for the park. And seeing as how these things have just been getting bigger and bigger, I see no immediate engineering issues with having a 200 foot lift hill for one of these if the bottom of the drop doesn't pull too many G's.

The thing with these wing coasters is the mathematical formula W=fd, or Work equals force times distance. The force of the riders is normal, but in the x-direction, it is typically at zero over the track. Wingriders half that force but put two loads of it about five feet away from the origin. This does more work on the carriage. A good application that you might have used of this would be why you hold a hammer from the back end instead of close to the head for maximum work done on a nail, using a longer crow bar instead of a shorter one to pry something, or why you grip a shovel from the back as opposed to by the head.

Now let's talk the other formula in play here, the force. The formula for this is F=mg, or Force equals mass times gravity. The mass is going to be a constant here, so let's worry about gravity, or G-force. Right now, unless you're on your smartphone on a roller coaster or on the International Space Station (do they even have internet up there?) there are 9.8 m/s^2, or 1 vertical G of gravity acting on you in the y-direction. However, in the amusement industry, this isn't always the case. You can experience up to around 6 gs on a roller coaster max, and this number can change with the size of the element you go through. Generally, going through a small element fast makes it more intense. Therefore, you can minimize this number by having a larger pullout at the bottom of the drop, and this is why Thorpe Park inversions suit wingriders so well; they're a thrilling drop with a large pullout that are also pretty space efficient.

Sorry for all the mechanical engineer student rambling in this post, but what I'm trying to say is that if we see a tall wingrider replace Son of Beast, we could be looking at the tallest inversion in the world because other than a really nasty-looking drop with a huge pullout, it really is the only way for bigger wingriders to drop without putting enormous stress on the track or train. They could probably handle a normal drop, but B&M does seem to over-engineer their rides (explaining their reputation for being so tame) and I think that if we do see a hyper wingrider it would probably have to have The Swarm/Gatekeeper drop.

Hope that made sense. XD

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Yeah, he was being sarcastic. ;)

Ben

CF Legend

It better not be another Giga in a park that already has a Hyper.

So stupid <//3

kifan99

Roller Poster

I would be fine with a giga because while people complain about Canada's Wonderland having a hyper and a giga while Cedar Point has a Arrow Hyper, a Intamin Giga AND a Intamin Strata-Coaster and people dont complain about that. I would love for Kings Island to have a Giga Coaster!

Off Topic: I rode Flight Deck and there are no seatbelts on the should restraints anymore! Also BLSC had the seatbelts removed too. Loving KI this year!

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I'm still a fan of a B&M invert. It would be a sure-fire hit with the GP and a good success.

kadabrium

Roller Poster

flying mega wingrider=view+airtime+flying experience.
technically legit since X2 basically does the same in its beginning until the flipping hill, but.

rcjp

Roller Poster

All these ideas look interesting. As to the "hyper wingrider" I would like to see the tallest inversion in the world being something like a loop or a immelmann rather than the wingover drop. It would be really cool and it would certainly look majestic. However, I would really like too see a hyper inverted as this type of design seems to be generally more intense than wingriders (I think that the only coaster that I would like even more would be a hyper/giga floorless, although I know that won't happen).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I would temper any expectations of a wingrider for next year at Kings Island - let us not forget that GateKeeper will be opening at Cedar Point in two weeks as the tallest, fastest wingrider with the tallest inversion in the world.

It'd probably be poor planning on Cedar Fair's part to immediately trump that with Kings Island, 3 and a half hours away.

Intricks

Strata Poster

These are still Kinzels decisions playing out, so I expect many bad decisions.

CPcisco

Mega Poster

^ I would highly doubt this was a decision made in the Kinzel era. Ouimet had the ability to ax or add projects right after he took office and at this point in time I am sure any decisions he did not agree with would certainly have gotten tossed by now.

Hutch

Strata Poster

With all these ideas for new ideas of different kinds coasters people are talking about I'm forgetting this the topic is about Kings Island!

Luxornv

Mega Poster

2012Jarrett said:
Nemesis of oblivion said:
An Inverted Wingrider! Best of both worlds :wink:

Or a Hyper Wingrider cool)

The thing with these wing coasters is the mathematical formula W=fd, or Work equals force times distance. The force of the riders is normal, but in the x-direction, it is typically at zero over the track. Wingriders half that force but put two loads of it about five feet away from the origin. This does more work on the carriage. A good application that you might have used of this would be why you hold a hammer from the back end instead of close to the head for maximum work done on a nail, using a longer crow bar instead of a shorter one to pry something, or why you grip a shovel from the back as opposed to by the head.

The thing with the wing riders is the huge moment on the wings. Work has nothing to do with it. It's the same formula though. The support beams on the wings though have the proper moment of inertia (I honestly can't remember from statics if you need a high or low one for this. I think high is better for this). It will be interesting to see the toll on the trains after a few years and if they need a major overhaul on the wings. Though maybe they already do that in the off season with the existing wing riders.

Snoo

The Legend

CPcisco said:
^ I would highly doubt this was a decision made in the Kinzel era. Ouimet had the ability to ax or add projects right after he took office and at this point in time I am sure any decisions he did not agree with would certainly have gotten tossed by now.

You'd be surprised how many years in the future these decisions are made. Kinzel made the decision on Maverick what.. 3-4 years before it was open?

But, as far as specifics, I'm not sure they were positive SOB was going down, so his input might not have any affect on whatever is next.

Intricks

Strata Poster

CPcisco said:

Kinzels decisions on the rides for the CF parks are going til 2015. Ouimett has the option of axing a project, yet there was an article in which he stated he is honoring those decisions made by Kinzel, as well as doing smaller things alongside them (or something similar to that effect).

As Snoo said, these decisions are made a few years in advance.