What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

steel

Mega Poster
Re: Kings Island | "Banshee" | Mahoossive B&M Invert

jolash said:
Great, fun rides, really. But any other B&M model is just so much more versatile.

I agree with this. I've been on X-Flight and Swarm and enjoyed both, but they do feel a bit clunky and plodding compared to the old floorless and sit-down B&Ms. I wish they'd make a few more like Wildfire and Dominator.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016

I've ridden both Wild Eagle and GateKeeper and I thoroughly enjoyed both. Wild Eagle is the perfect combination of the sensation of freedom with the mountain it's built on. It's the closest I've ever felt to flying. And GateKeeper's even better. Love the hang time on the drop, you feel awesome going through the keyholes, and the feeling like you're soaring through the elements is incredible! I know my taste in coasters deviates a bit from most's and I like rides that are designed to be more fun than scary (though don't get me wrong, Dragster and I-305 are SICK!!!) so I might like wing coasters more than most on here, but I feel like after Vortex leaves us for the great theme park in the sky that a wing coaster would be the best candidate for Kings Island's next "mysterious ride in the woods that you can't see" like Diamondback, Beast, and in the near future, possibly Banshee. The only role that Vortex filled was the inversion crazy role and Banshee fills it now, so I think it would be fine if Cedar Fair put it out of its misery for a wing coaster.

Back to Banshee, I was wondering about trees. That plot's a flat expanse of dirt but the rendering showed trees. Do they plan to plant trees there in hopes they overgrow and create a forest for Banshee to fly over?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Not really - Many roller coaster simulations feature over-the-top landscaping. Cedar Fair often opts for a tight landscaping scheme for new roller coasters. E.g. Diamondback's splashdown with only a few trees planted.

2012Jarrett said:
LONG BORING POST ALERT, HERE'S A SUMMARY OF WHAT I THINK:
*If Cedar Fair has success with this invert, they might be able to pull something similar off at Valleyfair and Kings Dominion
Overall, Cedar Fair owns 11 amusement parks (Gilroy Gardens is not a true amusment park, and only managed by Cedar Fair). This is the fifth Cedar Fair-built B&M, not including Paramount built Afterburner or Flight Deck, bringing the total Cedar Fair B&M invert count to 7.

This means majority (63%) of Cedar Fair amusement parks have a B&M Inverted coaster, making it one of the most popular modern roller coaster types for the chain. This is also not including Vekoma SLCs, which are also featured at Michigan's Adventure and Canada's Wonderland.

Inverted roller coasters have become a staple of major amusement park lineups, and I do not think Cedar Fair needs any convincing of their popularity/success.

2012Jarrett said:
I do want to see what they do with cattelpens on Banshee. The rendering probably didn't show them for a reason, which worries me. I'm scared they'll be like Firehawk's or Diamondback's where there's little to no shade or theming. While I'm not saying that they have to build a giant gothic cathedral with air conditioning and music and a preshow, just something that looks sort of nice like GateKeeper's with the awnings and view of the beach would be nice.
Cedar Fair likes their colored awnings.

Regarding speculation on the Arrow multi-looper Vortex - do not under estimate its popularity. There is still plenty of useful life in the coaster, and loads of empty land for expansion. Rather, why not continue construction along the east side of the park, with the hope of a pathway uniting Action Zone and the Coney Mall in the future?

rollermonkey

Strata Poster

Hyde244 said:
Overall, Cedar Fair owns 11 amusement parks (Gilroy Gardens is not a true amusment park, and only managed by Cedar Fair).

Hyde, while the rest of your post is spot-on, this little nugget grated on me. It tells me either you've never actually been to Gilroy Gardens, or you've caught crotchety-old-man syndrome from Ben. It's a beautiful theme park, and surprisingly awesome, even if it is geared for non-thrillseekers. If you'd simply said that GG isn't owned by CF and is unlikely to ever expand into a park with massive thrill rides, that would be accurate, but to say it isn't a "true" amusement park is patently false.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster

If the inline is anything like the ones on Volcano, it will be one of the best parts of the ride.

Ethan

Strata Poster

^ As you know those are heart-lined, so we can only hope! :)

kifan99

Roller Poster

Vortex is still very popular and a great people eater. Just because it doesn't have a line doesn't mean nobody is riding it. EX(Flight Deck according to Kings Island has more rider's than BLSC which has long lines often while Flight Deck doesn't.) Vortex should stay IMO.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners

I love how people can claim that wing coasters are not versatile. They've built six and they're building a seventh - all custom. B&M has proven the versatility of their rides by offering a more traditional experience with Wild Eagle, Fly Over the Rainforest, and Gatekeeper, yet a more technical experience with X-flight, Swarm, and Raptor. Even then, each one has a very different experience.

Take a look again:

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=9896

steel

Mega Poster

I think what they meant was more that everything with wing riders is necessarily bigger to accommodate the trains, so they can't navigate smaller elements like an invert can.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Antinos said:
I love how people can claim that wing coasters are not versatile. They've built six and they're building a seventh - all custom. B&M has proven the versatility of their rides by offering a more traditional experience with Wild Eagle, Fly Over the Rainforest, and Gatekeeper, yet a more technical experience with X-flight, Swarm, and Raptor. Even then, each one has a very different experience.

Take a look again:

http://rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&ml=9896
What I am proposing is for Cedar Fair, a B&M Invert takes precedant over a B&M Wing Coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

First piece of track arrived today, with supports already being sorted on-site.

799926919.jpg

799610787.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDlpjDAXknE&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Hobbes

Mega Poster

Great to see that track and supports have arrived. Hopefully we'll see some vertical construction soon.

Out of curiosity, do any other rides have this style of batwing besides Moonsault Scramble?

Hobbes

Mega Poster

So the answer is no... If i didn't make myself clear before, I was referring to this kind of batwing where the track crosses itself before entering the inversion.

Although RCDB isn't even calling Banshee's inversion a batwing. It says it's a pretzel knot. And sure enough, the only other example of this is on Moonsault Scramble.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

^Don't be so sarcastic. he asked a valid question.

I believe moonsault is currently the only other one that's existed. However Helix at Liseberg also has a similar inversion where the track crosses over. BUT although it enters and exits from the same side the first inversion rolls the other way and is currently not listed in the RCDB as anything at all.

helix-overview-new2013.jpg

jolash

Mega Poster

Can't we just call anything that is a dive loop immediately followed by an Immelmann a batwing? What does it matter if they cross tracks or come in sideways or come from outer space?? It's all the same basic maneuver, just different ways of getting there.

Casio

Mega Poster

^But that's like saying sidewinders and reverse sidewinders are the same as immelmans and diveloops respectively. And it would mean Norwegian loops are the same as batwings and pretzel knots.

They're all just loop-de-loops really :)