What's new

Keeping Orcas in captivity - Is it wrong?

marc

CF Legend
On TPR Facebook they posted a response from Sea World about Blackfish, it's in their forum so I cannot link it lol.

But Sea World claim they no longer take whales from the wild, this is true.

They have not seperated young whales from their mothers, well we know this is false.

There is a lot more, but tbh it's not the best reply. It's more about how much they spend are are spending.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
david morton said:
Just watched Blackfish last night...

...it just went after a bit of shock factor...
I also watched it last night and it should definitely not be called a documentary. Shockumentary perhaps.
You can't call it a documentary when it's an ad presenting and advocating just one side. Blackfish is a work of advocacy and not journalism as any documentary should be. In true journalistic documentaries, the film makers cross examine their sources by, for example, playing the devil’s advocate and challenging them to explain, debunk, or address potential sources of bias. Cross examination and journalistic honesty allow the audience to decide for themselves whether what is being said is the truth. We have no idea of any political agendas that anyone in the film might have, but we clearly know that SeaWorld's agenda is financial in nature.
Finally let me state that I in no way disagree with what was said about keeping Orcas in captivity, etc., but I do feel that a more journalistic approach should have been taken in order to call the film a true documentary.

marc

CF Legend
That was the problem ECG and I was trying to say to TPR. Sea World were asked to put their side over and take part but refused so there was no way this was ever going to show both sides.

As I said Sea Worlds open letter is out there now, but tbh it's not that great and does not cover much.

Doing a lot more research does show though that a lot of what Blackfish used is very old information like the capture stuff. Sea World do not do that anymore. There is a lot of other out of date stuff in the film as well.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/12/s ... -straight/

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
It's not that SeaWorld's side of things wasn't presented Marc. I'm sure many SeaWorld trainers and animal experts disagree with what was said and the film's producers could probably have found some former employees who could have presented a different point of view, since current employees are forbidden to comment on the matter. Even without presenting another viewpoint, it's more about the people they used and those individual's interests.
The prominent "experts" featured in the film are all strong activists with ties to PETA and some were even plaintiffs in the federal 'Tilikum v. SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Inc.' lawsuit, which was quickly dismissed for it's extreme position that SeaWorld was violating the U.S. Constitution’s prohibition on slavery by holding killer whales in captivity. This information was not presented and should have been in order to allow viewers to consider whether their “testimony” is biased or not.
The film implies that SeaWorld has a strong profit motive to spin the truth about its whales and their trainers, but it's just as possible that the leading "experts" in the film may have an equally strong motive to spin the truth about their experiences and the experiences of the whales. Money is a powerful motive and we can't discount it in assessing the credibility of SeaWorld, but strongly held principles and fundamental beliefs often are more powerful motives than money. Activists and extremists like those presented as "experts" have plenty of both that the film’s audience never knew anything about.

marc

CF Legend
To be totally honest it's so hard to know what the whole truth is and don't think we ever will.

I would like to know why them trainers left Sea World as they never covered that.

I watched the film with an open mind but as said I know longer watch the shows anyway due to past experience.

T0M

Hyper Poster
You can't keep things this size in tanks. It's exploitation beyond belief, but alas nothing new.

-Sent from a mobile phone-

Darren B

Giga Poster
marc said:

This is just CNN getting bitter, they've made a huge deal out of Blackfish but it hasn't had the desired affect. Yes, people are now more aware of the goings on at SeaWorld, but they're still flocking to the park in huge numbers. There is a huge difference between animal cruelty and animals not living in their natural habitat, people are sensible enough to realise that. And yes, SeaWorld have issues that they need to improve on, but they've never intentionally put their trainers or Orca's in harms way.

Another thing I find funny is that CNN is owned by Time Warner, as is Warner Bros. The same Warner Bros. that sells themselves out to Six Flags. If you need reminding, Six Flags had a performing Orca until 2013 and still have Dolphins on display in their parks. CNN of course won't ever mention that, or how badly that Shouka was treated at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Oh, and Shouka was moved to SeaWorld San Diego as the powers that be felt she would better off there, again CNN didn't make much of a story out of that. It stinks of hypocrisy.

therick311

Mega Poster
CNN is an entertainment channel, as are most cable "news" channels these days. Always keep this in mind when reading their articles or watching their programming.

marc

CF Legend
It was a vote to say if the blackfish thing put you off the park.

This is why I don't take part in best coaster votes as they are fall of fake votes of what people are being told to vote for.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
SeaWorld trainers are starting to speak out about some of the falsehoods the Blackfish filmakers manipulated and/or added.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9C9EtCGfb0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyh0PVCNFBA[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DR5IKHFjY[/youtube]

This one is not a SeaWorld video, but an interview with one of the former trainers that he wanted to publish.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4GRC6L07w[/youtube]

marc

CF Legend
Yeah I saw these the other day, but as many have said look where they have been filmed.

Blackfish did say Sea World no longer take them from the wild so no idea why they are covering that. They did take them from the wild at the start but that was years and years ago.

A lot of the stories in Blackfish are old stock footage that has been used in many other programmes about capturing whales.

Tbh from the film it was not their comments that upset me it's just the fact that the tanks are not big enough and what we saw first hand when at the park in a show. A baby calf being held at the side of the tank whilst it's mother done the show, sorry I just don't think that's right and neither did many that were at that show.

Also that Sea World lied about how the trainer was grabbed.

Sea World should have taken part at the start and not months after. Yes Blackfish was one sided, anyone who does not think so needs to open their eyes. I'm not saying Sea World does not look after their animals, I just don't think these whales should be kept in captivity when they are not in danger and more can be learnt in the wild.

For me I done a lot of research after watching the film and there are worst parks out there, but there are also better ones as well where the whales have a lot more space.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
The movie obviously has an agenda, and is conducted as a total hatchet job, and I do appreciate that SW has a fantastic rescue and rehabilitation program, and that the massive draw of Shamu and company is a huge part of the funding for that, but...

It's the lies that they perpetuate that are so bothersome and marine biologists that study them in the wild agree that:

Killer whales in the wild live 50-70 years, not 25-35 as SW claims.
In the wild, less than 1% have fin collapse disorder, and those are due to injury from being struck by boats and ships.
The groupings of whales at SW is completely based on managerial decisions as to which park needs what. The whales obviously aren't choosing their own pods.

Also, in the history of keeping orcas in captivity, exactly one was returned to the wild. Keiko's story after release is a sad one, but that isn't even close to a large enough sample group to say that it isn't ever possible to return these animals to the wild.

SW is a for-profit company, and they allow the bottom line to cloud the decisions that they make. Even the trainers who are mad at the way that their interviews were edited and misrepresented all agreed in post-viewing interviews that the captive breeding program should stop.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Those videos are pure smoke and mirrors.

Discrediting an obviously one-sided "documentary" because of the way it's been edited is a cheap way of avoiding addressing the actual issues, which they're still flat out refusing to respond to. Why? Because they really can't.

"Blackfish is edited to make Seaworld look bad" does not suddenly equal "it's ok to keep killer whales in captivity". At all.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
gavin said:
dited to make Seaworld look bad" does not suddenly equal "it's ok to keep killer whales in captivity". At all.
I agree, but if your basing the conclusion to the argument that no, it is not okay to keep them in captivity, on false or misguided information, then it's a valid point worth raising.

The problem is, as Phil discussed, that we have no objective way of knowing for sure what they're thinking or feeling. We can anthropomorphism and make anecdotal claims, but that's literally it.

Like other animal rights issues, I struggle to be persuaded either way. It's like vegetarianism. There is no good counter argument for "it's immoral to kill other creatures" but for some reason that isn't enough on it's own to make me stop.

At the end of the day, I want animals in captivity for my entertainment, the same as I want them dead for my lunch.

I can only justify that with evidence as to why it's not as bad as it may seem, not defend it completely.

The movie obviously has an agenda, and is conducted as a total hatchet job, and I do appreciate that SW has a fantastic rescue and rehabilitation program, and that the massive draw of Shamu and company is a huge part of the funding for that, but...

It's the lies that they perpetuate that are so bothersome and marine biologists that study them in the wild agree that:

In the wild, less than 1% have fin collapse disorder, and those are due to injury from being struck by boats and ships.
The groupings of whales at SW is completely based on managerial decisions as to which park needs what. The whales obviously aren't choosing their own pods.

Also, in the history of keeping orcas in captivity, exactly one was returned to the wild. Keiko's story after release is a sad one, but that isn't even close to a large enough sample group to say that it isn't ever possible to return these animals to the wild.

SW is a for-profit company, and they allow the bottom line to cloud the decisions that they make. Even the trainers who are mad at the way that their interviews were edited and misrepresented all agreed in post-viewing interviews that the captive breeding program should stop.
I agree with you too, but I think the whole collapsed fin thing is a non-issue and I wish Seaworld would stop skirting around it and just say "our whales have collapsed fins because they do not swim miles and miles and miles every day, BUT... but, they DO get equivalent exercise that keeps them in good health."

The collapse happens literally because the water isn't keeping it upright as they move through it at speed. It's just gravity. It's not a sign of ill health, depression or poor diet, it's a sign they don't swim straight through water for hours and hours in search of food.

And saying whales need to run swim distances to remain healthy is like saying humans need to live as our African ancestors did in order to be healthy. It's kinda true all else being equal, but a wild whale or human doesn't have access to the healthcare we do in captivity.

Captive orcas in the future will live longer healthier lives than their wild counterparts, for sure. It's a learning curve. In the same way we've extended our live spans as we've learnt how to care for ourselves.

It's just a non issue.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
rollermonkey said:

I keep seeing this "fact", and from what I can tell its ****.

Lifespan: males typically live for about 30 years, but can live as long as 50-60 years;
females typically live about 50 years,but can live as long as 80-90 years

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mam ... rwhale.htm

There is a big difference between "typically" and "can". The fact is the Killer Whales at SeaWorld(s) have not been in captivity that long...but there are several that are getting up into their 40's-50's. Who knows how long some of them end up living with their current conditions?

Darren B

Giga Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
rollermonkey said:

I keep seeing this "fact", and from what I can tell its ****.

Lifespan: males typically live for about 30 years, but can live as long as 50-60 years;
females typically live about 50 years,but can live as long as 80-90 years

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/species/mam ... rwhale.htm

There is a big difference between "typically" and "can". The fact is the Killer Whales at SeaWorld(s) have not been in captivity that long...but there are several that are getting up into their 40's-50's. Who knows how long some of them end up living with their current conditions?

This.

Look at what SeaWorld have achieved with their orcas in the past 20 years; they've created a successful breeding program, they've invested millions of dollars into enlarging and modifying their tanks and their orcas are living a lot longer. In another 20 years I've no doubt we'll see many of the same orcas that are living at SeaWorld today and we can finally remove the idea that orcas don't live as long in captivity.

And why does the dorsal fin keep on getting brought up? I know Joey's touched on it already but still, does it really matter? If it doesn't take away from the orcas quality does it really matter if it droops left, droops left, or points straight up Gabriel Copperwaite's arse!