What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...the circled part here is the running rails where the train will go? With the cable lift in the middle?

Track.jpg

Or am I getting it wrong?

I was looking more at the structure and the locking x thing. If it was going to be a normal lift hill I would have thought the structures would be angled? I am probably wrong but thats who it looks to me.

southend_marc said:
I was looking more at the structure and the locking x thing. If it was going to be a normal lift hill I would have thought the structures would be angled? I am probably wrong but thats who it looks to me.

Well...they would be angled upwards when constructed, but they would still be straight, apart from the pull in and out of the lift hill.

^Well, it is a Gigacoaster after all, and I can't seem to remember a Giga-Lite in Intamin's product catalogue, so I guess it will, by definition, be taller than 300 feet :p.

What really puzzles me is the end joints of the supports seen above. What are those crosses? Are they welding joints? Is it meant to be "snapped" into the next piece like a puzzle, then fixed in place with screws? Are they simply to protect the thing from bumping into things?

And for those of you who remember, how long did it take from sighting of Kingda Ka's track to the official announcement? As far as I can remember, the thing took a year to put up, so I guess the track came first? Judging by that, when can we expect a press release?

^Kingda Ka's announcement was in late September. Yet that doesn't really matter. Top Thrill Dragster's announcement was originally supposed to be in September as well, but was rescheduled until January due to all the hype it was getting.

If you look closely at those X joints, you can see that the plates that are parallel are staggered ever so slightly. The joints on the other end must be able to slide next to those(since they would be staggered as well) and be bolted together.

This thing is going to dwarf Anaconda completely. It looks big now, but how I look forward to see the two compared in a few months.

What are the huge pipes for, though? Seems like the only reason why they would want them huge cranes on site is to move them around. But what are they for? Draining? Is it a bog they are building on?

I hope it doesn't look big next to Anaconda, that would imply Anaconda still being there. Which would suck. Rip it out. Take the number of KD's percentage of crap coasters down from 90% to maybe only 80.

Poke said:
What are the huge pipes for, though? Seems like the only reason why they would want them huge cranes on site is to move them around. But what are they for? Draining? Is it a bog they are building on?

Look like drain pipes which were either in the ground and dug up (most likely) or are going to be installed.

Re: KD 2010

darthstumpy said:
OK so i got written proof that the new coaster at KD is an Intamin. I was at the park today taking pictures of the track and stuff, and I might have reached under the fence and pulled this piece of paper of a random box:
015tag.jpg

As you can see, the sender is Intamin, i know weve already figured that out, but its nice to have know for sure

Wow. Really? You had to take the packing slip...wow.

Word on the street is that Kings Dominion has started building its tallest coaster ever -- one that's a 'giga' coaster. That's a special name for rides that top 300 feet. That would dwarf the 176 feet tall coaster that is now the current height leader at the Hanover County amusement park.

We captured of the secret construction site, tucked in the back corner of the park.... And some brand new tracks being laid out in a deserted parking lot. Kings Dominion representatives aren't saying much...but we did get John Pagel from the marketing department at Kings Dominion to acknowledge that something is planned. See the video at right for his comments.
http://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=10611520

Check out the cute news story our local news station did.

YAY!!! GOOD NEWS!!! This is gonna be really good! Carnt wait fur it!!! And i like the suddleness of the KD rep. He basically blurted out the the everything is right!! :lol: Well mostly!

Yeah, he just basically came out and said "We are getting a Giga Coaster."

We already knew that, but it is always nice to have confirmation.

SnooSnoo said:
Yeah, he just basically came out and said "We are getting a Giga Coaster."

We already knew that, but it is always nice to have confirmation.

Yeah it is. Another interesting fact...KD hasn't had a marketing director for a ride in...just saying.

Also to packing slip boy and other crazed fanboys. I've been told to relay a message:

Do not remove anything from the park that you CANNOT purchase.
Do not get caught in areas you do not belong.

- Kings Dominion Security.

Status
Not open for further replies.