What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Strata coaster was a term invented by Cedar Point with the construction of TTD.

Intamin only has one technical term for the two, accelerator.

RCF

Strata Poster
ok so that was completely my fault. It is an Intamin in every size, shape, and form. I didn't see the name Intamin on the boxes. Kay? :lol:

Snoo

The Legend
We've established it is an Intamin.. you know.. from the name on the boxes that say "Intamin"?

Snoo

The Legend
Well.. he COULD have a point.. but I think he just threw words at a wall hoping to come out with one.. and failed miserably.

I'm trying to gather one.. but nothing. Marc, explain.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
A launch system is far pricier than a cable lift.

If this is to indeed be a full layout Giga coaster, they are not going to blow all of their money on a launch system.

wash

Mega Poster
An giga coaster for KD sounds great, but where in the park would they put a coaster of this size? :?

Gazza

Giga Poster
rollerdude said:
Yet Top Thrill Dragster and Kingda Ka are considered strata coasters as well as accelerators. Why couldn't this be the same way? It just seems more efficient to have a launch.

Either way, we'll find out the truth whenever they announce it.

No, but Intamin list a Giga Coaster on their product line:
http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32

Notice on that page that the Accelerator product has a picture of TTD.
Therefore if it were what you were saying, the box of washers would have had 'Accelerator' on it.

End of.

A

Anonymous

lol im such an idiot lol, When i first saw the sign that said giga coaster i thought "whats the point ..........." then i just realized that giga means 300+ feet and MEGA means over 100 feet. I am honestly pumped as could possibly be at this news, a new 300+ footer from INTAMIN? the top 2 coasters i've ever been on were made by intamin, and if they can do what i know they are capable of then I'm excited.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I think when I said launch, everybody thought I mean an accelerator coaster. They don't necessarily have to use a hydraulic launch; they could use LSMs or LIMs.

Efficient wasn't the right word I guess. Maybe quicker? Or less materials used(when it comes to supports and track, at least)?

Gazza

Giga Poster
I think when I said launch, everybody thought I mean an accelerator coaster. They don't necessarily have to use a hydraulic launch; they could use LSMs or LIMs.
But then the box would have said 'LSM Blitz Coaster' or heaven forbid 'Wingrider Launch Coaster'.
Why would they put Giga Coaster on the box if it wasn't this:
http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/ind ... &Itemid=32

Efficient wasn't the right word I guess. Maybe quicker? Or less materials used(when it comes to supports and track, at least)?
A 45 degree lift hill to 94m needs about 150m of track,
A vertical top hat style ascent to a height of 94m needs about 140m of track
So you save the whole of 10m (33ft)
(Both of these were found by making quick test sections of track in NL)

Meanwhile, a launch has higher installation and lifetime running costs, and limits them to using shorter trains. Plus the rest of the layout still has big hills etc anyway.

marc

CF Legend
The thing that is confusing me is the track, its the same track they are using for the one in the Ferrari Park. That coaster is not a Giga and this is different to the normal track they use for Giga's. Is it confirmed to be a Giga or could it be like the other coaster i.e a launch coaster with airtime hills.

Or have I missed something?

Snoo

The Legend
From what I'm gathering, the new track style is just basically a replacement of the 4 rail style. Now, if that has any truth to it, it really wouldn't matter what kind of coaster it is, because Intamin has used 4 rail on Millennium Force, Kingda Ka, Kanonen.. ect ect.

A

Anonymous

^^ The main reason why Intamin have changed the track system is that this new double spine track is even stiffer then the quad-rail track which means that they can reduce the number of supports on hills/lifts/etc, meaning that these new large coasters use less materials and thus becomes cheaper in the end. I have a feeling that this new track might even be easier to manufacture then to make all the small parts that a quad-rail track have.

Reducing the cost and ease of manufacturing is probably also the reasons why they have started to use square tubing/I-beams on the supports then large pipes, square tubing/I-beams are a lot more common as a construction material and thus cheaper to percuase...

If you look on the track for the Abu Dhabi launcher then there is grades of strength on this new track as well, (like the bi-rail, tri-rail and quad-rail), this new system have: Double spine, Single spine and bi-rail track.

marc

CF Legend
Have to be honest I prefer the look of the old track but hey if the coaster is good who really cares :)

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.