What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
So what is the steep bit of track then???

I don't care, I'm just intrigued for somebody to come up with an answer :)

bob_3_

Giga Poster
And this vertical lift thing isn't something that "forfills a desire"

I hate vertical lifts. I'm just trying to explain that piece of track.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
rollermonkey said:
Which piece of track?

The only one I pointed out to me as a piece of vertical track was quickly passed off as a support piece.

kd2010.jpg

If it was passed off as a support piece, I missed the post :(

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Mixed with this base support.

IMG_2638_%28Large%29.JPG

The connectors on the right end of the support are blatantly going to be connected to the foundations on the ground, and there are track connectors (the square ones) there, which ^^ that peice of track will be attached. Put 2 + 2 together, really.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I can't see p-bucket pictures from work. I pulled it up on my blackberry, though.

People are calling that a vertical lift hill based on a screen grab, of a youtube video, from a cruddy angle?

Sorry, but that doesn't look more than 45-degrees to me.

In fact, it looks a LOT like the base of the lift for Goliath at Walibi.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
bob_3_ said:
Mixed with this base support.

IMG_2638_%28Large%29.JPG

The connectors on the right end of the support are blatantly going to be connected to the foundations on the ground, and there are track connectors (the square ones) there, which ^^ that peice of track will be attached. Put 2 + 2 together, really.

Sorry, bob. You think that the coaster will change angle from level to near vertical that quickly? No way. That's far too tight for any of Intamin's current trains.

Maybe LoCoSuMo could pull it off, but not much else.

Those tabs on the side of that support are also far too small to support main track segments. Those are for electrical cable runs, or something else non-load bearing.

Think about how beefy all of the rest of the track support connections are and reconsider.

Here's a lift base support from Intamin:
http://www.rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=1

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
^ Have you not noticed the fact that this track is COMPLETELY different from anything Intamin have made before? Other than the Ferrari Park ride that is. We know nothing about what they could be doing.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Which is why I'm trying to suggest that people shouldn't jump to conclusions about vertical lifthills, launch track or cable lifts so quickly.

I realize that it's exciting and people want to know what's happening, but speculation gets us nowhere.

Either the announcement or the vertical construction phase will answer all of our questions.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
513ss3.jpg

Just incase people can't actually understand what goes where.

I hope I ain't wrong =/ and by catwalk i meant ladder =).

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I'm done.

Photoshop wins the day.

:roll:

The track connection that you're pointing at isn't even attached to the support you're talking about. It's part of the piece behind.

I'm getting out of this thread. Intamin speculation/fanboyism is not interesting to me.
/rant

Who wants to go ride a coaster and leave the armchair engineering to others?

bob_3_

Giga Poster
The track connection that you're pointing at isn't even attached to the support you're talking about. It's part of the piece behind.

Oh thats where you were mistaken! It's actually a wide support, just like the others that already have track attached, the support has to accomodate the track and the catwalk/ladder thing. So, contrary to what you first thought, that track connector is part of that support.

monkeyonatable

Mega Poster
The only problem I see with a vertical lift is that you might need guide wires coming off of it to keep it standing; like a cell phone tower. I say this because of the height of the lift and the fact it could topple over from a strong gust of wind.

ibreathesbs

Mega Poster
monkeyonatable said:
The only problem I see with a vertical lift is that you might need guide wires coming off of it to keep it standing; like a cell phone tower. I say this because of the height of the lift and the fact it could topple over from a strong gust of wind.

That's like saying you need guide wire on drop towers...some of you kids failed Science...I'm sure of it.

monkeyonatable

Mega Poster
ibreathesbs said:
monkeyonatable said:

That's like saying you need guide wire on drop towers...some of you kids failed Science...I'm sure of it.

No I didnt fail, and I didn't fail at engineering (which I am taking college level classes in both) either. I was looking at it from an engineering stand point, and to me it just seemed like a huge concern.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I didn't think that I would get that much of a response for posting that, but for those who still don't believe, Bob's paint picture is basically what I was trying to say. I'm still sticking to a vertical lift simply because there is no other support piece that bends at any angle besides those for the crest. If that piece ends up coming, then I'll obviously be wrong.

Also, here's another picture, although it isn't much better:

normal_IMG_2699_%28Large%29.JPG

http://www.kdfansite.com/gallery/thumbn ... p?album=68

Also, it seems like people are forgetting that this will have a cable lift. It's going to get the trains up the lift as fast, if not faster than MilF. It's not like you'll be crawling up a vertical lifthill for 90 seconds. You'll probably be cresting in less than 30.

Lastly, here's some photos of the track that's coming off of the crest for the drop:

normal_IMG_2707_%28Large%29.JPG

http://www.kdfansite.com/gallery/thumbn ... =68&page=2

I'm just simply putting pieces together in my head like a puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.