What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
It would certainly save on space, the trains would have to be quite short for an over-vertical drop though.

If it does have a vertical lift, I very much doubt it would have a beyond vertical drop as well, we've seen the top parts of the lift and they're very gradual,

New_ride_013_(Large).jpg

meaning a long train, and making a beyond vertical drop very very unlikely. Imagine a mix of Fahrenheit and Millennium Force. Anyway I think that beyond vertical phase has past, after Steel Hawg and Mumbo Jumbo, it's really not a big deal anymore.

Seriously, this vertical lift idea does make perfect sense! It would save a lot of space. And if the technology has been used now without problems, why not just make a bigger one.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I think you all are getting a little carried away. If this is going to have a vertical lift, how do you explain this piece?
loefet said:
Here is one truss section with support connectors:
IMG_2637_%28Large%29.JPG

You can clearly see the track on top and the support connectors coming off at an approximately 45 degree angle on the bottom. We're going to have a 45 degree lift, just like MilF.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I think you all are getting a little carried away. If this is going to have a vertical lift, how do you explain this piece?

If it wasn't a vertical lift, how do you explain this piece.

kd2010.jpg

Those 45* connectors could just be for bracing.

15q54c4.jpg

Obviously I could be wrong, but with that piece of track that curves up to 90* I'm not sure how else it could be used.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Fahrenheit has angled connectors on the vertical lift hill:
fahrenheit-coaster-20080616.jpg

Notice how they're on a "support" that runs vertically? Well, these new track sections already have that support in place.

Thom25

Roller Poster
Better minds than mine have looked at that interesting piece and through geometry have guessed that at the most the lift angle could be 60 degrees. The likelihood of a vertical lift is slim to none to be honest. If you look at ALL the other vertical lifts, they use 2 chains. This ride clearly has one, which most likely is for a cable given there is a top piece where the sled goes below the track.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Which better minds?

While Fahrenheit does indeed use a double chain system, it was also the first Intamin vertical lift hill.

Like Intamin modified the lift chain to be a cable, there's no reason why they couldn't do the same for their vertical lift system? We're into areas unknown here.

Thom25

Roller Poster
Engineers and people that are more adept at math than myself. They claim it could be as steep as 60 degrees, but the angles of that piece preclude vertical. I think 60 degrees will be unnerving enough.

Regarding the vertical lift, I think you're trying to force you're desire/wish onto a coaster that just isn't going to have it - period. Every vertical lift regardless of manufacturer (HRRR) has two chains, while the ONLY other giga coaster in the world has a cable lift, with track identical to KDs.

Let's be honest about Intamin, they innovate like no one else, and pay the price with reliability issues more times than not. If I were CF, the last thing I would want is a new type of lift on what appears to be the largest gravity coaster in the world.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm not trying to force anythnig on anyone, I don't really care about the coaster :)

This
kd2010.jpg

bit of TRACK is 90 degrees.

Using the evidence of my own eyes, the track goes from horizontal to vertical.

Part of the coaster has a tight transition from horizontal to vertical.

It may not be a vertical lift hill, but can somebody else explain what use there is in a piece of track that goes from horizontal to vertical?

Thom25

Roller Poster
If you go back some pages you will see the posts with the MATH on that piece claiming it "looks" vertical (which it does) but the math says 45-60 degrees. I'm not aware of any construction proffessional or engineer that relys on their eyes over math.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Thom25 said:
If you go back some pages you will see the posts with the MATH on that piece claiming it "looks" vertical (which it does) but the math says 45-60 degrees. I'm not aware of any construction proffessional or engineer that relys on their eyes over math.

Okay, looked back ten pages and no posts with an maths at all - can you quote it please.

In the mean time, a quiz.

Can anyone, without using maths or a protractor (not that you could because they're all at odd angles), tell me what angles the following are please.

Just use your eyes, brains and spacial awareness.

312RXG9MEKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

313JVN60PAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

image1.jpg

A-Kid

Giga Poster
My answers sir. :wink:

At a guess

It looks just off 90 degrees. More like 80. But I see that as rather pointless.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
I agree. Anyone hoping or expecting a vertical lift hill is projecting desires.

If I'm wrong in the end, so be it, but in the meantime...
Y'all smokin' crack, cuz I see zero evidence of a vertical lifthill.

Status
Not open for further replies.