What's new

Intamin Unveils Four New Concepts

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I don't know why a lot of folks are so concerned about originality in an industry about sending a train around a track. There's only so much you can do. I guess every single element and coaster has to be original? Well, this new ride has a 31 degree offbank incline loop, no one else has that! Now we're original.

• If Intamin popularizes the Single row single rail coaster, it's no different than B&M popularizing the wing coaster :)

After all: Mack invented the single rail coaster and the first steel coaster, Matterhorn Bobsleds, sits riders in a single row!

• Giga Splash: Does no one remember Perilous Plunge? That thing was awesome! Oooh noo, so they added an airtime hill and are now ripping off Mack!

• Ultra Splash: Pulsar is pretty unique, and this is very similar, but no different than S&S and the Zac Spin plus all the shuttle coaster over the years

• Vertical LSM Coaster: There's only so many elements you can do with this type of coaster, and the zig zag loop is slightly different than say, the premier one. The rest of the ride is absolutely 100% original, and I'm super excited for the upside-down launch
The problem with every single example you gave is that the "copycat" released a technically (mechanically) superior product and the market responded by purchasing the superior product. B&M's wing coaster train design is leaps and bounds better than Intamin's for numerous reasons; including a mix of different steel alloys that make up the wings, which exhibit different natural frequencies resulting in a minimization of vibrations, and the bends in the arms also bring the seats closer to the center of gravity which allows the designers to more easily include more aggressive maneuvers by leveraging the improved mass moment of inertia. As everyone else has recently pointed out, Intamin has a horrible track record with water rides so it isn't settling to see them attempt it again. Again, ultra splash and power splash are nearly identical. The vertical LSM coaster is really the only one that's passable since it's so difficult to design a thrilling ride like that in such a small footprint, but yet again, it encroaches a bit on Skyline's similar skywarp model.

To reiterate - everyone realizes that this is allowed, especially since patent laws don't prohibit another from using one's work - patents are only enforced by the patent owner and only allow the owner to collect royalties on their intellectual property. BUT! In all walks of engineering and design, people have their specialities and expertise, and that shows up as a signature style or trade secret or design idiosyncrasy. Ironically, the Jurassic Park coaster is clearly identifiable as a Camiel Bilson design based on certain nuances in the layout. The same could be said with Schilke designed RMCs and S&S creations. S&S's usage of compressed air is another good example.

What signature Intamin features do these new rides have that set them apart from their design inspiration? Maybe we will see some clear Intamin signature characteristics if/when these rides get built for the first time, but for now, I'm hard pressed to see anything that's characteristically Intamin. As many have mentioned, it's disappointing to see a company that's supposed to be an industry leader regurgitate already existing products sans the typical Intamin fingerprints.

Ben

CF Legend
Also interesting that when the Mack Power Splash was announced it was compared to Intamin's Impulse design...

If anyone compared those to an Impulse they’re ridiculous. All they have in common is being a shuttle, might as well say they’re like the old Schwarz shuttle loops, or that Intamin ripped those off.

First of all they’re a water coaster, have different spikes, a hill and station turntable. These Intamins are a literal exact copy.

As if anyone would think that’s the same thing!

John Knotts

Mega Poster
If anyone compared those to an Impulse they’re ridiculous. All they have in common is being a shuttle, might as well say they’re like the old Schwarz shuttle loops, or that Intamin ripped those off.

First of all they’re a water coaster, have different spikes, a hill and station turntable. These Intamins are a literal exact copy.

As if anyone would think that’s the same thing!

Definitely different spikes! And they do totally different things...

As if indeed! ???

Last edited:

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
I wasn't aware of CP building a new coaster in 2021.

There’s an entire topic dedicated to the rumour

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I was looking around the IAAPA Asia Virtual Expo that started today and Intamin only have the two splash rides in their brochure. That doesn't mean they aren't shopping the coaster concepts to anyone interested.

IntaminSplash.jpg

Matt N

CF Legend
My question is; do these count as credits? I’m guessing the Ultra Splash would, but the Giga Splash seems like more of a grey area to me.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
My question is; do these count as credits? I’m guessing the Ultra Splash would, but the Giga Splash seems like more of a grey area to me.
If Atlantica is a coaster then I think this is. After all, it does coast along an airtime hill and uses a complete track setup, of which the car can't possibly derail, unlike a Log Flume.

John Knotts

Mega Poster

Very grey. I would lean towards no with the Giga Splash, but that's also the one I most want to experience. Perilous Plunge remains my all time favorite water ride.

Jcoasters

Mega Poster
While the Ultra splash is a direct copy, at least it's improved (potentially)

As far as the single rail concept goes, I read on another forum of a guy talking about how it has LSM launches and Intamin is best at those combined with cheaper cost, probably. Not to mention smaller area, sort of, because of the rider clearance and frame dimensions. It could be cool for small to medium size parks, he was saying, and I agree.

Niles

Giga Poster
The top left one is the standard Mega-Lite, isn't it? The one to the right of it looks like a Mega-Lite with inversions. That ought to be an interesting one, if they can manage to sell it!

The top left does look like the standard but i think its slightly different it looks more compact than the old mega lights and the stats are different ( slightly smaller than the originals ) . But yea hope to see some of these in the future, a mega lite with inversions would be interesting.
piraten:1600337415050.png new:1600337454221.png

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This one already exists.
1600328522632.png
When I first saw the list, I had this depressed reaction: "Yeah, those coasters are nice, but even Mega-Lites are too big to be built outside major parks nowadays. Who could even afford to build one of those coasters? Huge parks nowadays build big coasters, big parks build medium-sized coasters, medium-sized parks build kiddie coasters, and small parks build used kiddie coasters". But then it struck me that the biggest, fanciest, and most elaborate of those models was the one already built. There's still a market for big coasters out there.

Granted, most of it seems to be in China...

Matt N

CF Legend
For clarity, the non-inverting “Ultra Coaster” is the standard layout Mega-Lite, is it not? The inverting one is interesting, though; maybe Intamin is wanting to take on Mack’s Mega Coaster?