What's new

Ideas for Thorpe Park 2015 and 2012 coaster

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster
^Oh dear, I thought inversions don't count if the coaster hasn't actually been built yet...I presumed rcdb hadn't included swarm and that's why I got 27 (LOL)

All I was thinking of was a mega/giga/mega-lite with a zero-G roll (worlds first!?)

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I see a Megaish coaster as well. The problem is, Megas take up loads and loads of space. You need a large rectangular area for each hill you want to put in (most notably, the lift hill), a large area for each turn (the earlier in the layout, the larger), and obviously access for construction equipment all over the plot (so building it along the perimeter of the park is out of the question). Where could you fit one?

^Also, not going to happen. The closest you get is Maverick, whose focus is on terrain-hugging and quick maneuvers, not lots of inversions or big hills. This focus enables it to do both to some extent. Also, I think rolls require a wildly different set of trains (connections between cars, different restraints, seats, etc), so slapping an inversion on a Mega would require lots of hassle for little gain. I mean, if you have a Mega, you would rake in on the guests without an inversion anyway.

Idlewild

Mega Poster
Pokemaniac said:
Yeah, I see a Megaish coaster as well. The problem is, Megas take up loads and loads of space. You need a large rectangular area for each hill you want to put in (most notably, the lift hill), a large area for each turn (the earlier in the layout, the larger), and obviously access for construction equipment all over the plot (so building it along the perimeter of the park is out of the question). Where could you fit one?
Along the perimeter access road perhaps?

I think people exaggerate thorpe's lack of free space somewhat. Legoland and Chessington are far more restricted. They have 500 acres even if a lot of it is lake.

In regards to 2015. I think that Thorpe should consider looking beyond coasters, maybe expansion/retheme of neptunes kingdom into a proper waterpark or a thrilling dark ride like a Pandora's box.

In 2018 as stealths 200ft 10 year height restriction should have lifted. They should use this opportunity to build a megacoaster.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
The closest you get is Maverick,
All in favour of a Maverick style coaster for Thorpe? Actually, don't answer that, cuz I don't want a load of +1 posts in here.

Maverick is awesome. And, what's so special about Maverick is it's a small coaster at a park where the majority of their coasters are far from small, but it's exceedingly popular. It proves that bigger is not always best. I think it's just hilarious that it is where it is and that nothing similar has come to the UK yet.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Idlewild said:
I think people exaggerate thorpe's lack of free space somewhat. Legoland and Chessington are far more restricted. They have 500 acres even if a lot of it is lake.

Thorpe is 500 acres?

Idlewild said:
In regards to 2015. I think that Thorpe should consider looking beyond coasters, maybe expansion/retheme of neptunes kingdom into a proper waterpark or a thrilling dark ride like a Pandora's box.

There's not enough room for a proper waterpark where Depth Charge and Neptune's is... Best just to remove them and make some massive entrance thing... Perhaps a GS extension?

Idlewild said:
In 2018 as stealths 200ft 10 year height restriction should have lifted. They should use this opportunity to build a megacoaster.

Stealth was built in 2006 for a start, and there's actually a MASSIVE reason they have a 200ft limit, that small place called Heathrow... Unlikely they'll get that restriction lifted...

Ethan

Strata Poster
^^ Err 2006+10 is 2016. 2018 is later than 2016, and it therefore more than 10 years. 2015 is not later than 2016, to it would not be 10 years. Although you're right about the Hethrow thing.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
^ I'm sure the 2018 number came about because Thorpe get a coaster every 3 years. 2006, 2009, 2012, 2015, 2018.

But yeah, what Benin said re: Heathrow.

They don't need to build that high anyway. Just look how massive Swarm looks.

Neptune's Kingdom is such a waste of space. They need to tear it out, even if they don't put a new coaster, or even flat ride, or even any ride there, they never use the beach WHY is it still there?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Ha, well even if that land was changed to beter accomodate the mazes, it'd be better than it is now.

A flat ride (or two) and a seating area that can be shuffled about to accomodate for mazes?

Much better than the out of place, outdated, waste of space abomination that is currently there. Such a huge space too, annoys me so much.

The thing is, putting a big coaster there would be a but eugghghghg in terms of park layout. Looking out from the entrance across the park, it would be totally obscured by something large there. I cannot imagine they give much of a damn about this though.

Swarm's not even open yet and we're getting all excited about 2015. Haha. Amazing.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Also on the list of things to rip out of Thorpe, the Arena... If that went with NWO, you can put your Maverick coaster there Joey ;)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Pft nah, too much effort.

LETS BUILD ANOTHER ISLAND AND PUT IT THERE!

I laugh, but... there must actually be a logical reason why, or else they wouldn't. I cannot imagine how it would be any cheaper or more practical to build an island than to take out some ...crap, though. But hey what do I know.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'd have thought the island(s) would have to be built anyway eventually, so they're doing them now. That way they can have a "bigger" line up in the immediate future, and then start removing stuff later on.

100% guesswork there.

Nic

Strata Poster
I don't know if the planning regulation have changed in recent years, or if I made the whole thing up, but here goes... I was always under the impression that, as a condition of the quarry being turned into what became Thorpe Park, they were only ever allowed to have a certain percentage of land in relation to open water. Therefore, for every new bit of land that they build, they'd have to flood a bit elsewhere to balance it out. Am I talking balls?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
No that's what I heard too.

Which only adds to the "why the hell do they keep building islands?"

Maybe Gavin's logic is true, but again... Why do I doubt they've thought that far in advance?

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
I want to see a mega-lite. There won't be a tall coaster because the residents near Thorpe won't like it much, but a mega-lite, that would be good. I have always wanted to go on one as well, and there needs to be a coaster with some decent airtime, so that is what I want to see.

Coastergun

Roller Poster
Coastermaniac94 said:
I know they are both quite a while away but lets post about we want and b*tch about we dont want to see :D oh and I know lc12 is a B&M Wing Rider. I do hope the 2015 coaster is a B&M flyer as I think a 156ft tall one with a pretzel loop with fit well in the park and would be a unique ride not just in the UK but in Europe (yes Air is a flyer but its a bit tame, still good though), What do you CFers think?

I think now that the canada creek railway has closed, that leaves a good spot to build an out-and-back coaster. Maybe a wooden coaster or a B&M hyper