What's new

Ideas for Thorpe Park 2015 and 2012 coaster

Martyn B

CF Legend
I too agree that a Hyper could be on the cards, not a super tall one though.

But I also wouldn't be too surprised if they brought back their plans for a Woodie...

Mark

Strata Poster
I think the woodie is a no-goer because of the density of the structure and I seem to recall someone saying something about there being issues with building a woodie on reclaimed land?

I honestly believe that if they were to go with a Hyper they would make a point of also going for a record of some sort...

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
There must be some serious reason why there hasn't been a woodie yet at any major British park in years, given how cheap they are to build.

I'm betting B&M mega too, and "tallest in Europe" would not surprise me.

nadroJ

CF Legend
But doesn't Thorpe have an absolute height ceiling limit sort of thing?

It'd have to be over 250ft to break the record, I could see Thorpe getting away with that, but I don't know what their restrictions are.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
With how low the planes are, Thorpe won't get anything stupidly tall. About 250ft would be the absolute max.

I think a hyper of some sort should get to Thorpe. Mainly because I haven't been on one though.

coasterboy

Mega Poster
TP Rich said:
coasterboy said:
Just an idea, how about a clone of Superman: Ultimate Flight from Six Flags Discovery Kingdom? Comes in about the right size and length...

No, it doesn't, Thorpe's 2015 coaster is planned to be 50 metres, whereas Superman is only 35 metres. Although, it would be great if they did have a clone of Superman.

http://www.rcdb.com/10139.htm

Although a flyer would be nice as well :p

Mark

Strata Poster
Thekingin64 said:
With how low the planes are, Thorpe won't get anything stupidly tall. About 250ft would be the absolute max.

I think a hyper of some sort should get to Thorpe. Mainly because I haven't been on one though.

Hmmm, the subject of ceiling heights came up today and from what Leigh was saying the 'absolute' height for the park is 300ft.

Eitherway, any kind of hyper would be good. I'm undecided as to whether I would like to see an Intamin or B&M one tbh. I loved EGF (No1 Coaster for me) but was totally bored by Goliath. Silver Star is the only BnM Hyper I have ridden so it doesn't leave much to like. I have heard good things about other BnM Hypers so I would like to see one done really well. Thorpe would also be a great place to see it happen.

WildMouse

Roller Poster
Thorpe need to install an Intamin woodie. End of.

And when they add a DarKastle/Spiderman style dark ride in addition to that, I shall become an AP holder for life. :p

Mark

Strata Poster
Its been said before though. Thorpe are highly unlikely to ever get a woodie. One of the reasons cited because of the density of the structure and then other being that the park is entirely created from reclaimed land and apparently you aren't allowed to build woodies on reclaimed land. Would like to know more about the science of all that though tbh...

fretboardpyro

Mega Poster
300ft is about the height ceiling at thorpe subject to planning. Living on the run in flight path to speke airport we have just discovered this to our peril, as ineos have just built a 300ft structure outside our house, which oddly enough is at the absolute ceiling for the flightpath! The other thing to factor in on this is, how would the local residents feel about very bright lights on top all the time. It was only through the local residents agreement and understanding that stealth was built. A B&M hyper would be awesome though! WANT!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Thorpe must have at least looked into "europes tallest"... That's an impressive title, and one that won't be beaten easilly.

If 300ft is their absolute max, the reason we haven't seen one must be either cost or space... Or both.

I think they could do it, but theming would be minimal at best. Not that that really matters, as it would only really concern the station and surouding area.

B&M or intamin? I assume intamin are cheaper, and they are better, but Thorpe really need the reliability and capacity of another B&M.

I think a hyper coaster is right for Thorpe.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
UC said:
^Would you? Over their excellent relationship with B&M?

Did Stealth/Rita/Th13teen have any teething problems?
Ya know, I'm not sure it bothers them.

I mean after the absolute ridiculous incompetence with Colossus alone, you'd think they'd have been put off Intamin. But no, they went on to get Rita and Steath, both of which were an absolute nightmare. And they then went BACK to them for Thirteen. I think both enthusiasts and the public would prefer an Intamin, and it would be cheaper.

But, apparently someone from B&M actually said on the preview day weekend before last something about how they are persuading Thorpe to work with them on a hyper... And I do think that there must be some truth in the rumour of an out and back coaster for Thorpe, since it's been about for so long and seems kind of obvious. Must have been explored at least once. So B&M apparently see the potential, too.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
No, no, no... Apparently B&M have been talking to Thorpe about the possibility, and they voiced this to staff/enthusiasts on the preview day. They want to build a hyper at Thorpe, apparently.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I agree, as an enthusiast. One thing megas do so well but don't utalise enough is snaking back and forth at low level. But in a wider sense, I want Thorpe to make the most of their ability to set themselves apart from everything else in the UK, and even Europe. With a absolute ceiling of 300ft, they could build a "Europe's tallest" that is hard to beat. Besides, a B&M mega would even out the pain to comfort ratio of their coasters. :p As a loca, I don't WANT anymore headache inducers that I'd probably enjoy were they further away. I have keep reminding myself that when I only ride Colossus once a year in perfect conditions (after a long, rainy day), It's actually kinda good.

This is random and off topic, but why is it only B&M and Intamin that make hypers/gigas now? Is it cost related? Why has Vekoma never done it? Though, tbh, I bet they would if someone wanted one.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Joey said:
UC said:
^Would you? Over their excellent relationship with B&M?

Did Stealth/Rita/Th13teen have any teething problems?

I mean after the absolute ridiculous incompetence with Colossus alone, you'd think they'd have been put off Intamin. But no, they went on to get Rita and Steath, both of which were an absolute nightmare. And they then went BACK to them for Thirteen. I think both enthusiasts and the public would prefer an Intamin, and it would be cheaper.

'Teething problems' seem to be something more Merlin-park related, as opposed to manufacturer related. According to a few people who were at Thorpe this week, The Swarm seemed to be struggling to maintain smooth operations on more than one train and broke down several times for long-ish periods of time.

I honestly doubt that the manufacturer makes a difference to how well a ride runs in the park, they just appear to be a bit poo at running new rides. I'd love to know why this is. It made me laugh a little bit at the Live on Saturday how everyone was quite shocked that Thorpe managed to 'break' a B&M. It just made me think that maybe the problem doesn't lie within the manufacturers of the coasters, but of the operators themselves.

Are the newer Intamin rides notorious for being a pig to operate in non-Merlin parks?