What's new

How is your tolerance of roughness?

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'd say pretty high, I'll re ride most things. I'll quite happily have a go on most boomerangs and woodies again, but the ones I won't are either because they are in my bottom 10 (SLCs, Volares, Insane) or I've ridden them so much the roughness outweighs the excitement (Colossus, Smiler).

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Varies a fair bit for me too - there are some notoriously rough coasters, which I have no problem at all with (saw, and several boomerangs), there are a few which I think are rough, but i'd reride because they are pretty good fun despite the roughness (goudrix, nash, and heck - I'd even consider a reride on tornado at MnDs), there are others which are so bad I'd seriously consider not reriding (baco, mean streak, movie park bandit)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm generally fine really. I would never not get the cred based on perceived roughness, and I seem to have a higher tolerance than some based on the opinions of certain coasters that constantly pop up.

With lapbars, I'm pretty much fine with anything, and even if I can clearly tell the coaster is rough, I'll still reride most of the time. That's as long as the coaster at least offers something else along with the roughness. If it's also boring and doesn't do much, then I won't bother. For example, the woodies at Mt Olympus were rough, but with decent airtime and interesting layouts, so I'd happily do those again. Then you've got the likes of Coaster Express at Warner, or the Hurler coasters, which are rough pieces of s**t with no redeeming features.

Rides with head-banging OTSRs are a bit different though. With a group, I'd reride them if everyone else was, but would happily not bother if other people skip out on it as well. There aren't that many that I deem bad enough to skip though really beyond a few SLCs, old-school loopers and the older B&M standups.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Really depends. Brutal headbanging (SLCS) is awful. Woodies that try their hardest to beat you up as much as possible (Mean Streak) I also can not stand. Some great wooden coasters like Voyage or Beast aren't exactly smooth at all, but they aren't too terribly rough and are still outstanding rides.

Lofty

CF Legend
I'm not too bad to be honest, but I do have cut-off points. I still refuse to ride Stampida and Magnus Colossus whenever I go to those parks.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I'm not too bad to be honest, but I do have cut-off points. I still refuse to ride Stampida and Magnus Colossus whenever I go to those parks.

A bit of good news for you, Stampida's retrack has improved the ride experienced. Granted, I haven't ridden it before this year, but it was nowhere near the roughest coaster ever that I was expecting. Magnus Colossus has been SBNO in 2016 season, but I'm not sure whether that means it is closed indefinitely or not...

Lofty

CF Legend
A bit of good news for you, Stampida's retrack has improved the ride experienced. Granted, I haven't ridden it before this year, but it was nowhere near the roughest coaster ever that I was expecting. Magnus Colossus has been SBNO in 2016 season, but I'm not sure whether that means it is closed indefinitely or not...
Ah, I didn't know they had retracked it? It's a shame, it used to be SO good. Without the trims and the **** Kumbak trains, it flowed to well and provided quite a lot of airtime, too - then Kumbak got involved and ****ed it all up. EDIT: Just watched a POV, they didn't even retrack the whole thing, they retracked sections, but the double down and double up remain...

I didn't know that Magnus Collossus had been SBNO either - really interesting. That truly needs to have so much work done on it because there's literally no redeeming feature of it whatsoever. The double down could be fun but the shaping of it is absolutely awful. I wish they just get an RMC makeover, or even a GCI retrack like Ghost Rider.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
How rough does a coaster have to be for you to consider it a 'bad' ride? For me it has to be really f*cking rough, I loved Space Mountain and I enjoy Saw, Grand National and Colossus which are also known for being pretty rough. I view all the coasters I ride with optimism, I actually found Dragon Khan quite rough in parts but kept going round for more because it was intense as hell, had the best zero G roll ever and a classic 90s layout. Colossus vibrates like crazy but it feels fast, relentless and the quadruple heartline rolls are so fun.

There are some that take the piss however, Furius Baco is really cool but simply too much due to the train design and Stampida is just trash and will continue to be until they retrack the entire thing.

What are your thoughts? Do you have high standards when riding or are you ok with being beat up a bit?

Mine is basically the same as yours but I can't stand headbangers!

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Mine must be relatively high as I find Colossus, Smiler and Stampida quite rerideable.
However- Baco and Saw are a one ride per day jobby. Bleurgh.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I seem to have a pretty high tolerance. I've enjoyed the two SLCs I've ridden (T3 and Gauntlet) and Ninja @ SFOG. Those two seem to be considered some of the roughest, but I never had a problem with them. I don't really mind roughness on wooden coasters, mostly. I found Regina at Tobu Zoo pretty uncomfortable but also didn't mind it since it had an interesting layout and some good pops of airtime. I feel like the two Gravity Group coasters I've done (Mine Blower and Voyage) to be two of the roughest coasters I've ridden. However, their roughness adds on to their truly relentless layouts. I rode Voyage probably 11 times in 2 hours, and I enjoyed each ride. They feel so out of control I love it. I generally don't find many coasters that rough. Maybe I've just gotten lucky I don't know. However, it really matters the ratio of roughness to quality. If a ride is very quality and also very rough, I tend to focus on the quality aspects. If a ride isn't quality and very rough, it's impossible to focus on anything other than the roughness.

Olaf

Mega Poster
I enjoy Condor, world's oldest SLC.. Sorry Howie, but I win

Verstuurd vanaf mijn WAS-LX1A met Tapatalk

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm not really, I enjoy riding coasters for the ride experience more than counting creds, So Vekoma SLC'S, and vintage loopers I'm more than happy to miss these day! done once, and might do them every now and again mood dependant, but If I know a coaster has a record of roughness I'll avoid! even though its subjective, because i have lower threshold than most - I'm happy to believe if someone says its rough! i will always try out new-to-me types of coaster to have the experience, because you still need a barometer of what 'roughness actually is!

for example I found Zeus at Asterix Gross for roughness if I'm honest! And that ride was pretty divisive on the day!

I prefer smooth but dull over exciting and rough if given the choice! I just don't like pain! and I do generally have a low pain threshold! In fact I find a few rides that are famously thought of as dull quite intense.... like silver star and swarm!

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
I'd say mine is pretty high. I haven't come across a single ride that I genuinely hate because of the roughness alone. It usually comes down to the restraints that determine if I don't like a "bad" ride (any SLC's with the bulky-ass restraints that dig into your shoulders). I LOVE Georgia Cyclone and T3 is my favorite SLC of the 3 I've ridden, if that says anything. If I could go back and reride Gwazi, I probably would reconsider how I feel about that thing.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Ever since my back got ****ed, I avoid anything rough like the plague. Due to all my issues, even the slightest bump causes extreme pain so rides I once loved, Voyage are nearly unrideable. Nearly.

That said I did ride Kong at SFDK a few weeks back, and that was ****ing awful.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JSM

Mega Poster
Title says it all. I personally have a very high tolerance, and even enjoy SLC's, Boomerangs, old Arrow loopers etc.