What's new

Great Coaster Names That Haven't Been Used Yet.

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
Well, clearly parks agree with you as 99% of coaster titles go for the same kind of image.

But I think there's a reason that in film casting against type can work well, and I think that a darkly comedic or tongue-in-cheek or even strange and goofy name could go well with a big, terrifying coaster. If they hit the right note, it would make the coaster more of a stand-out phenomenon than the next Goliath or Intimidator or Seriously Scary Thing. I think it would create more personality.

Then again, metal bands these days always seem to go for the same Cookie Monster growl with the vocals, and either you think that's powerful and initimidating, or you think it's boring and kind of sad.

Perfect example: Smiler. Stupid name that works well with (what remains of) the theming.

Sure I'm a little bit late (by 5 years), but I have some.. well.. hopefully decent rollercoaster names.

Rival (Taking inspiration from Nemesis at Alton Towers)

Poltergeist (Inspired by Vampire at Chessington World of Adventures)

Formula 2 (Launched coaster)

Flight into Hell

Pinball on A Coaster (Inspired by Spinball Whizzer, also at Alton Towers)

Ghoul of The Night

That's all my miserable brain can think of, and I NEED TO STOP BEING LATE!!

Matt N

CF Legend
As this thread has been newly bumped, I thought I’d provide some ideas of my own.
  • Zenith - I think this would make a really cool name for the tallest ride in any park, or more generally, something like a hyper or giga coaster. The word quite literally means “highest point”, and I think it rolls off the tongue quite nicely!
  • Gargantua - Again playing into the theme of big rides and bigness, I also think that Gargantua would suit a tall ride well. It’s a play on the word “gargantuan”, and I think that taking the “t” off the end makes it sound really cool, almost like some sort of big ruling deity or something!
  • Torchwood - This might sound a bit random, but I think this would have made quite a cool alternative name for Wicker Man at Alton Towers, and I think it would suit any ride that blends wood and fire and capitalises upon that for the theme (a la Wicker Man). It’s sort of a play on words on how wood that’s set on fire is “torched wood” (although I might be reaching a bit with that one…), and to be honest, I just think it sounds cool and rolls off the tongue quite nicely!
  • Cataclysm - I think this would be a cool name for any ride themed to disaster, the apocalypse or any sort of destructive beast or similar. Cataclysm means “a disastrous or seismic event”, and any sort of disaster or destructive creature, as quite a few rides seem to lean upon for a theme, certainly would be a cataclysm! And to be honest, I just think it rolls off the tongue quite nicely! We have lots of rides called “Tornado” or “Cyclone”; maybe this would make a nice change?
  • Catalyst - I know it sounds similar to the name above, but I reckon this would make a cool name for a launch coaster or something. A catalyst is something that stimulates a chemical reaction, and I reckon that it would suit a launch coaster pretty well, because a launch moves a train pretty quickly! And it just sounds cool…
  • Inferna - I think this would have been a really cool alternative name for Nemesis Inferno at Thorpe Park, and I think it would suit any ride themed to something like a fire dragon or anything to do with fire or heat (like Inferno is). It sounds similar to Inferno, but is a slightly different version of the word with the “a” instead of the “o”, and I just really like it!
  • Euphoria - I know this doesn’t really lend itself to a theme as such, but I quite like this one as a more simple name, because I think it sounds cool and I also think it sums up the feelings of thrill and excitement that a roller coaster is designed to provide! Keeping to a similar train of thought, I also think that Ecstasy would be a cool name too!
To be honest, there are also a number of scientific and computational words that I think would make really cool coaster names…. not for any particular reason, though; I just think they sound cool! Things like Ion, Xeon, Ryzen… actually, I guess there’s only 3 I can think of.

I know my naming skills aren’t brilliant, but that’s what I could come up with.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I just checked. From this was posted (and the thread went quiet a week later), it took four months until we knew the name of Steel Vengeance. Commonly referred to as SteVe.

As far as I can tell, it is also the only suggested name in this thread that actually came to pass. That is, if you don't count Valkyria and Valkyrie the same, but for the sake of the joke, let's assume that you don't.

So all in all a brilliant guess, @MestnyiGeroi!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Ha ha, I did laugh when I saw the Steve comment while re-reading this thread, but didn't realise it was actually posted pre-SteVe. Remarkable foresight @MestnyiGeroi . I'd throw you a like, but I already liked your post at the time. 😁

@Matt N - some great suggestions there dude, especially the first few, and Euphoria us pretty cool too... but Ecstacy is a definite no no, I feel. Can't be naming coasters after class A drugs y'know ('Speed' being the obvious exception). What next? Ketamin: The Ride?

Matt N

CF Legend
@Matt N - some great suggestions there dude, especially the first few, and Euphoria us pretty cool too... but Ecstacy is a definite no no, I feel. Can't be naming coasters after class A drugs y'know ('Speed' being the obvious exception). What next? Ketamin: The Ride?
Thanks @Howie!

Oh dear... I didn't even twig the drugs link. I'd just have to hope that people forget about drugs and know that ecstasy can be a feeling as well as an illegal substance...

On the subject of illicit links, I'd also forgotten that Euphoria is the name of an award-winning TV show... about drug addicted teenagers. Perhaps I should steer away from the "E" words... maybe Rhapsody, which Google says is a synonym of both Euphoria and Ecstasy, would fit better? It still sounds cool... but I just thought that Euphoria in particular had a real ring to it.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
A couple of you may have heard of the game Geometry Dash. I used to be an avid fan of the game, but quit due to lagspikes. The game has a difficulty category known as 'Extreme Demons' which is home to the hardest levels in the game; I've found some of them can also be good coaster names...

-Firework
-Zodiac
-Calculator Core
-Cognition
-Cosmic Cyclone
-The Rupture
-Black Blizzard
-Subsonic
-Sunset Sandstorm
-The Hell Nutz

Just to name a few.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Valkyria is the Swedish word for Valkyrie. Because it's nordic mythology it's also the more authentic word.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Wait are you suggesting Valkyria as a name that hasn't been used yet? If so....
Of course not! I rode that coaster yesterday. I'm just saying that it has been guessed in this topic and later used.

EDIT: The post is from april 2017. By then Valkyria had already been announced even though it opened in 2018.

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
There are so so many. Many of which are small variations on names we see all the time.

Wilddog
Wacky Wombat
Big Orange
Batwoman: The Ride
David

And some are just themes and variations of we havent seen yet but could be good ride themes.

Peppa Pigs Bacon Bonanza
The Deirdre Barlow Prison Experience
Wonderwoman: And The Awkward Cultural Appropriation
Oh Cock: The Top Gear Ride
Twist Coaster Robin

All of them would be great.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Jörmungandr
(pronounced yer-mon-gan-der I believe)

The name of the world serpent from Norse mythology.
Would make a really cool looping or multi-circuit coaster name.

I've been playing way too much God of War recently.

Matt N

CF Legend
Jörmungandr
(pronounced yer-mon-gan-der I believe)

The name of the world serpent from Norse mythology.
Would make a really cool looping or multi-circuit coaster name.

I've been playing way too much God of War recently.
I hate to burst your bubble, but Drayton Manor recently used that one for their retheme of the Buffalo, as part of Vikings: https://rcdb.com/816.htm

Coincidentally enough, though, DMP’s Jormungandr is multi-circuit like you suggest, so you’re clearly onto something!