What's new

Goodbye Superbowl (PBB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marc

CF Legend
You have missed my point about the Big Dipper, but dont worry.

Me getting angry is simply due to the fact I do not want to see the park ending up like Margate and other places like it.

In a way Scott you should be happy that people care about the park.

Yes I agree some people will not like the new ride, some people love Saw and Rage for example. Look at the topics not everyone does. Some people love 13 others are not so sure. You can not expect everyone to love it, take the good with the bad.

As Furie said lets leave it now.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
I didnt miss your point about Dipper at all. If you want to start discussing rides crashing, lets bring RMT into it.

I would hardly say people care for it Marc, more like people just love to take any given chance to slate it and moan for the sake of it.

Finally, I thought I might quote this from an Amanda Thompson interview a year or two ago, might explain why they choose not to compete;

These days people spend a lot on their homes so they don’t like paying to go somewhere that isn’t even as good as their own home, never mind better. It’s no good trying to compete with the budget airlines because no amount of investment can buy you good weather. At Pleasure Beach I’m not trying to compete with the likes of Alton Towers because we don’t have the space. The trick is to decide what you’re good at, concentrate on that and do it well.”

Emmett

Giga Poster
I think certain people are just waiting for us all to bitch about BPB so that they can come on here just to start an argument. They don't really seem to have anything else do apart from defending BPB's name. Its no wonder they have fallen out with other forums too.

BPB gets criticised more than other parks because the lack of new attractions over the past few years, the new entrance charge, false advertisement and accidents. Also the park doesn't seem to have progressed anywhere and with the recent additions of a new water fountain and the lack of anything new coming within the next few years its no wonder people have a go at the place.

I really like the park mainly due to the fact it houses two of my favourite coasters the Wild Mouse and Revolution but take them out and I don't think I would ever visit again without another major attraction.

Ollie

CF Legend
I find it amusing how Scott is clearly sticking up for the place. We've posted loads of valid reasons and he's still trying to find lame excuses.
It's funny how when he quotes us he only picks up the minor points to answer and leaves a load out that he clearly doesn't have an answer for because we're right.
Also he keeps saying everyone "Wants to see Blackpool fail" and "kicks it while it's down". We've already proved that's not the case so why do you keep saying it?
Anyway I've had enough of this topic now. Like Marc I had really happy memories of Blackpool but now every time I go there it's worse and worse and feels more tacky each time. I seriously doubt I'll ever go back at all now unless they add something decent, which at the rate they're going will be never.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Emmett said:
I think certain people are just waiting for us all to bitch about BPB so that they can come on here just to start an argument. They don't really seem to have anything else do apart from defending BPB's name. Its no wonder they have fallen out with other forums too.

A bit harsh really. If thats aimed at me, then I think it can be taken back. I run my own Pleasure Beach site, but I still read CF, TTF, Ride Guide and occasionally another Blackpool site, and will post in whatever topics I think are worthy replying to. I dont just sit at the computer waiting for someone to bitch, because that would be rather boring.

However when I see the place I've grown up to adore is being slated, I am not just going to watch people put it down without giving a different side to the debate.

Emmett said:
BPB gets criticised more than other parks because the lack of new attractions over the past few years, the new entrance charge, false advertisement and accidents. Also the park doesn't seem to have progressed anywhere and with the recent additions of a new water fountain and the lack of anything new coming within the next few years its no wonder people have a go at the place.

Once again, when has Pleasure Beach ever built new rides every 1/2/3 years? They havent. Get over it.

Accidents? One accident at Pleaasure Beach, one accident at Alton Towers, in the last decade.

Ollie, lame excuses....Wtf? :?

Emmett

Giga Poster
^But they haven't built any new coasters since 1994. (And I'm not counting Infusion as it was second hand). Thats nearly 16 years without a major coaster for such a big park.

Mike

Giga Poster
*Facepalm*
I agree with Ollie and all of Furie's posts.

Gardens and bars don't interest me, and neither does boring bickering (lol) that seems to be going backwards for no apparent reason, so I'm out this topic now.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Infusion was new to Pleasure Beach and records show the last ride at PB was built in 2007.

Read through the timeline of PB and you will see its nothing new for Pleasure Beach to go a few years at least without new rides.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Scott88 said:
Finally, I thought I might quote this from an Amanda Thompson interview a year or two ago, might explain why they choose not to compete;

These days people spend a lot on their homes so they don’t like paying to go somewhere that isn’t even as good as their own home, never mind better.

Sorry, have to pick this apart :lol:

The first bit makes no sense. People do pay to go somewhere that is better than their own home. While people aren't going out to pubs as much - people ARE actually going out more generally in the UK. Visitor figures for tourist destinations in the UK are all up... Just because they're not going to Southport Pleasureland or PBB, doesn't mean they're staying in.

I've researched this. Tourism in the UK had a mad season in 2004. Tourism increased from a 1% change in March, up to 14% increase by March 2005. So during 2004 and 2005, there were more people out and about spending money at place like theme parks than ever before.

These are the people Amanda refers to here who "are staying at home".

The Tourist economy didn't actually show a negative impact until December 2008 - just over 12 months ago. Until that point, there was still positive growth, much more than in the years between 2000 and 2004.

Tourist trends this year were poor at the start of the year, but in the summer, they started to rise again a lot.

People are NOT spending time at home

It’s no good trying to compete with the budget airlines because no amount of investment can buy you good weather.

It can't buy good weather, but even with budget airlines, a lot of people are still staying in Britain. The problem is, they're avoiding tired old run down places like... Well... Blackpool... People are staying here, just going to other resorts which are cleaner and fresher. Places which have a better reputation.

It also doesn't explain why other Theme Parks have a consistent or increasing gate figure during the same period - if it's all down to "cheap airlines and bad weather".

At Pleasure Beach I’m not trying to compete with the likes of Alton Towers because we don’t have the space.

Neither do Alton, they knocked down their iconic Corkscrew coaster to build their newest ride. They've had dozens of set backs each year because of planning restrictions and the threat of having rides like Oblivion dismantled. Blackpool on the other hand have a carte blanche.

The trick is to decide what you’re good at, concentrate on that and do it well.”

Which is? Blackpool is good at sham, flim flam, noise, bluster and good old "we're bigger and better than that lot" showmanship.

It's what the modern Pleasure Beach is built on (I class everything from Steeple Chase/Revolution onwards as modern Pleasure Beach).

No mucking around - they wanted big, exciting, fun, entertaining "screw you John Broome" rides in there.

Blackpool is fur coat and no knickers. It did it well for a long time. Since then? Well, they're not trying to compete on the ride front, but on "presentation". This is something Blackpool have never been good at - so why concentrate on it? They're good at fun and cheap thrills, as soon as they stopped providing that, the life left the place.

I'd give my left nut sack to have the dirty, smelly, noisy, harsh, fun, wonderful, exciting, entrancing world of Blackpool in the mid 90's back. Even in the year of Nemesis, Blackpool was the place to go. It had life, vibrancy, and atmosphere - and that was just the Willy Wurst hotdog you'd bought.

Did the world move on from wanting that? Maybe they did and I'm as ignorant thinking that's the way it should stay as I'm accusing Ash/Scott of being for defending the little change in recent years.

Who knows, but the point is, I don't think Amanda knows what her Pleasure Beach is good at. This is why everything is so up in the air. All the time, everyone else gets a greater foot hold into PBB gate figures and the thoughts of PBB are of the "I remember when it was good", rather than "I can't wait to go back there again next year" type.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Lol, what a great topic!

Here's my two pence. Scott, I think what it is with regards to Amanda is that she had pretty big boots to fill.

How would here father feel if he knew about rides being left SBNO, like Trama Towers, Rollercoaster, Space Invader etc, and Big Dipper crashing, and rides being removed for gardens....

Since he died, how many rides have been removed (or not even removed, just closed and left to rot).

Spin Doctor
Turtle Chase
Log Flume
Space Invader
Rollercoaster (ish)
The Whip
Trauma Tower
Vikingar
Super Bowl
Circus Clown
Caterpillar
Crazy Golf

Ya see what I mean? And thats not including all the rides from Southport...

However, on the other hand, you have to congrulate on what a major success Infusion has been. That 'invesment' done wonders for the PB, so well dont to them for that. But you'd think they may learn from that success, but obviously they haven't.

Just going back to something else now..

Pleasure Beach is sat in the middle of one the best resort's in the country

C'mon Scott, seriously, Blackpool, one of the best resorts in the Country? Yeah PBB is one of the best amusment parks in the Country, but Blackpool it self.... :|

Oh and furie, you're my hero! :king:

A

Anonymous

There are two ways of looking at this. First up, if the only people who seem to agree with the fact PBB is doing a good job are people who are self confessed fan of the park - then perhaps the 95% of other people are onto the right track? Maybe being too close had blinded you a little?

Maybe, but since were only speaking about the UK population of coaster ‘enthusiasts’ who are mostly a rather strange bunch I don’t think we have much to worry about. I often earwig on the conversations of the public (who make up the vast majority of any parks custom) and they seem on the whole VERY happy with PBB this year. I do know that by the summer season attendance was down, guest satisfaction was up massively, as were the takings. Seems all good to me. Given that the parks closing time was extended many times during the summer and illumination period I’d suggest that trend continued.

Furie, you are indeed correct PBB were, and still are the leading amusement park in the country. In 2000 they came up against a problem of space or should I say lack of it, and in 2004 shortly after GT’s sad death, the banks closed in on AjT to get back some of the debt GT had passed on. Sure he knew how to fill the park with rides and guests alike, but he wasn’t quite so good at balancing the books.

This will explain why the Bean St area was cleared after the fire and left for a few years, and also why so many staff cuts were made 2005-2006, why the cheaper option was made for a new ride in 2007, and why a handful of rides were left out of the 2009 line up, not to mention complete axing of the shows.

However, things are now getting in order, and people who look can and do see that. The fact that the RollerCoaster has had a lot of work done to the turnaround and final corner leading to the brakes suggests its SBNO days are long gone. The ride ran daily since the Big Dipper crashed, now if the park were so short of cash would it not be cheaper and easier to just run the RollerCoaster and moth-ball the Big Dipper? Of course it would, but straight after the OK had been given, repairs were being carried out to the ride.

The solution? Well, to be honest, if your pockets aren't deep enough to keep your business expanding - you need to get somebody else in with deeper pockets. It's all well and good fighting tooth and claw to keep the business privately owned, but you shouldn't do it if it means ripping apart that thing and losing it.

In 2006-2007 I was saying the same myself, but things are going the right way now, and if 2010 is as good as 2009 was I’ll be very confident about the future of the park.
Anyway, I hope (Furie) that I have above answered your first post without seeming too much of an arse!

Moving on, Ollie, you suggest AjT has done nothing to improve the park? Have you not visited since 2004?

The new entrance for a start, 2 fast moving lines with up to 30 staff serving rather than 8-10 slow lines with 1 person serving each line.

Does the Derby Racer re-vamp not count for anything towards improving the look and feel of the park? Take a look at the Big Dipper station on your next visit; you’ll see a complete make over for this classic ride. The Grand National station has been re-built (with a temperamental braking system granted) but the ride itself looked like new in 2005.

Did the Trauma Tizer fetch itself over from Southport?

However about the re-paint and new lights the Revolution got in 2006 (needs doing again now!)

New Adventure Golf, or a scratty golf course complete with potholes and a tatty mess of a course?

New effects/smartening up in Valhalla, Ghost Train, Impossible not count towards anything?

What about the complete re-furbishment of the River Caves and SteepleChase for this year?

New train for RollerCoaster.

Complete overhaul of the Wild Mouse.

New fountain area and all the restaurant/bar area. It may be not everyone’s idea of fun, I’ll admit 12 month ago I was far from happy, however I’ve seen it, and I enjoy it and on most visits I stop in and have a drink there.

Rides have indeed closed, but I wont go into that again, I covered that above. You suggest you have issues with maintenance, and indeed go as far as to compare it to excrement, this is something I have seen no evidence of what so ever. Every park has breakdowns, and I can’t say PBB has more than its fair share. If that’s an attack at the Big Dipper I don’t think once crash since 1923 is such a bad thing, find me a rail network or an airline with such an outstanding record.

You say the park is dirty? It looked a lot more run down during the 80’s-90’s than it does now I can assure you of that!

I don’t see how Amanda can be blamed for spoiling SPL either; why not suggest the demise of Frontierland was her evil doings also?

Again, I’m not trying to appear argumentative, I just don’t get where you’re getting this thoughts and suggestions.

I’ve skim-read most of the posts in this topic that seem relevant and the next one I’d like to answer is Emmett’s. You say PBB has a lot of accidents? Again, I don’t think it’s a bad safety record when looking at the big picture, but that’s just my opinion. You seem to oppose the entry charge, why is this? Can you just walk into Blackpool Tower as and when you feel like it, or indeed the Sea-Life centre? Just call in at Thorpe for a cuppa and a sticky bun, see how much they charge. I don’t think £5 for those not wanting to ride is a bad deal at all at the side of other attractions.

False Advertising? If this is the announcement in the PMBO station, I wish someone instead of moaning on internet forums about it would report it to watchdog then they would be made to switch it off. Not only am I sick of hearing it but I’m fast becoming sicker of reading people continually moan about it year in year out.

I think that’s covered all the points, however if anyone feels I’ve been OTT (or an out and out ****er) in this post do feel free to say so, but I have tried to be civil!

Ash

Ben

CF Legend
I often earwig on the conversations of the public (who make up the vast majority of any parks custom) and they seem on the whole VERY happy with PBB this year.

Um, OK... People often pull out "WELL I OVERHEARD" arguments in this sort of situation, and they're always about as flimsy as a bit of paper. So, that's discounted straight away.

I do know that by the summer season attendance was down,

Yep.

guest satisfaction was up massively, as were the takings.

Proof?

Seems all good to me.

Again, any proof?

Given that the parks closing time was extended many times during the summer and illumination period I’d suggest that trend continued.

Oh look, it's flimsy paper argument time again! Plus, this could have always been some sort of marketing tool. I see it now, "the park was meant to be open until 7... BUT WE'RE EXTENDING" *insert happy guests*. I'm not saying that was certainly what happened, but, these sort of things have to be taken into account. Plus the fact you don't actually have any proof.

Furie, you are indeed correct PBB were, and still are the leading amusement park in the country. In 2000 they came up against a problem of space or should I say lack of it, and in 2004 shortly after GT’s sad death, the banks closed in on AjT to get back some of the debt GT had passed on. Sure he knew how to fill the park with rides and guests alike, but he wasn’t quite so good at balancing the books.

Leading? Leading... what exactly? Certainly not innovations in attractions. Certainly not innovations in management. You can't lead if you're not going forward and everyone's watching you going "HUH, so this is what Blackpool are doing... lets do the complete opposite!". You can't be leading if no-one is following.

This will explain why the Bean St area was cleared after the fire and left for a few years, and also why so many staff cuts were made 2005-2006, why the cheaper option was made for a new ride in 2007, and why a handful of rides were left out of the 2009 line up, not to mention complete axing of the shows.

Explain these things all you want, they ARE signs the park's going downhill.

However, things are now getting in order, and people who look can and do see that. The fact that the RollerCoaster has had a lot of work done to the turnaround and final corner leading to the brakes suggests its SBNO days are long gone. The ride ran daily since the Big Dipper crashed, now if the park were so short of cash would it not be cheaper and easier to just run the RollerCoaster and moth-ball the Big Dipper? Of course it would, but straight after the OK had been given, repairs were being carried out to the ride.

And the fact they're STILL closing rides? The fact RollerCoaster is having a lot of work done to it suggests to me they HAVE to. Doing (I'm guessing, essential) repairs on one ride doesn't mean you're doing well. There's a whole park there.

In 2006-2007 I was saying the same myself, but things are going the right way now, and if 2010 is as good as 2009 was I’ll be very confident about the future of the park.

Or, as long as they keep closing rides and investing in things no-one cares about?

Moving on, Ollie, you suggest AjT has done nothing to improve the park? Have you not visited since 2004?

If Ollie hasn't, I have, so...

The new entrance for a start, 2 fast moving lines with up to 30 staff serving rather than 8-10 slow lines with 1 person serving each line.

But, wasn't there multiple entrances before? Also, you didn't charge everyone entering, so you could get wristbands and tickets inside. So, just the fact that there's more people on the now singular entrance doesn't mean ANYTHING.

Does the Derby Racer re-vamp not count for anything towards improving the look and feel of the park? Take a look at the Big Dipper station on your next visit; you’ll see a complete make over for this classic ride. The Grand National station has been re-built (with a temperamental braking system granted) but the ride itself looked like new in 2005.

The Grand National station BURNT. DOWN. It would have been paid for by insurance and was kind of a necessity... As for Derby Racer and Big Dipper, I can't say I noticed much of a difference except for the fact Derby Racer looked HIDEOUS and they might as well have just urinated all over such a classic, rare ride. As others have said, these are things other parks are doing AS WELL as adding new rides. So, I ask again, HOW exactly are Blackpool "leading"?

Did the Trauma Tizer fetch itself over from Southport?

No. But, does anyone know how much Infusion *actually* cost? I'm willing to bet pennies. Yes, it WAS the right thing to do, and WAS a sensible investment. That doesn't make it one that's a sign of great times.

However about the re-paint and new lights the Revolution got in 2006 (needs doing again now!)

That was good. Four years ago though, and you yourself said it needs doing again.

New Adventure Golf, or a scratty golf course complete with potholes and a tatty mess of a course?

The new golf was good, yes.

New effects/smartening up in Valhalla, Ghost Train, Impossible not count towards anything?

Valhalla? Hasn't that been going downhill steadily since the day it opened? Ghost Train and Impossible I don't bother with, so, can't comment.

What about the complete re-furbishment of the River Caves and SteepleChase for this year?

Based on the EXCITEMENT that was the other refurbishments you've mentioned, I aint holding my breath.

New train for RollerCoaster.

? Did it get another new one? I thought the train was just from Big Dipper?

Complete overhaul of the Wild Mouse.

This was also good. BUT, again, it's things other parks are doing WHILST adding other investments. You want to count the amount of major investments Blackpool have made in 15 years? I come to 0. Do that with ANY other park, even ones people recognise as stagnant, and I can guarantee you'll almost always come up with a figure bigger than absolute zero.

New fountain area and all the restaurant/bar area. It may be not everyone’s idea of fun, I’ll admit 12 month ago I was far from happy, however I’ve seen it, and I enjoy it and on most visits I stop in and have a drink there.

Score. Go you. So glad it's wonderful for you. Because, you know, you're EVERYONE.

Rides have indeed closed, but I wont go into that again, I covered that above. You suggest you have issues with maintenance, and indeed go as far as to compare it to excrement, this is something I have seen no evidence of what so ever. Every park has breakdowns, and I can’t say PBB has more than its fair share. If that’s an attack at the Big Dipper I don’t think once crash since 1923 is such a bad thing, find me a rail network or an airline with such an outstanding record.

I don't agree with Ollie that maintenance is that bad. But, you yourself mentioned that Roller Coaster needed a lot of work done to it, as do a lot of other rides. Maybe other parks don't have to do so much refurbishing because they don't let their rides get in a state...

You say the park is dirty? It looked a lot more run down during the 80’s-90’s than it does now I can assure you of that!

Probably. But, so did everywhere. Standards are rising. I thought Blackpool were leading this :S

I don’t see how Amanda can be blamed for spoiling SPL either; why not suggest the demise of Frontierland was her evil doings also?

It wasn't. So, no.

Again, I’m not trying to appear argumentative, I just don’t get where you’re getting this thoughts and suggestions.

These thoughts and suggestions. And from experience and thinking? Where you're ALSO getting your thoughts and suggestions. Don't give me the "I WENT TO BLACKPOOL 100 TIMES THIS YEAR!" speech as if it makes you better than me. I'm sorry, I spent my time at different parks, experiencing the ways other parks run things.

I’ve skim-read most of the posts in this topic that seem relevant and the next one I’d like to answer is Emmett’s. You say PBB has a lot of accidents? Again, I don’t think it’s a bad safety record when looking at the big picture, but that’s just my opinion. You seem to oppose the entry charge, why is this? Can you just walk into Blackpool Tower as and when you feel like it, or indeed the Sea-Life centre? Just call in at Thorpe for a cuppa and a sticky bun, see how much they charge. I don’t think £5 for those not wanting to ride is a bad deal at all at the side of other attractions.

Well, all those attractions (including Thorpe, even as a park as well) have totally different functions, audiences etc. You're making it a VERY cut and dry issue which it isn't.

False Advertising? If this is the announcement in the PMBO station, I wish someone instead of moaning on internet forums about it would report it to watchdog then they would be made to switch it off. Not only am I sick of hearing it but I’m fast becoming sicker of reading people continually moan about it year in year out.

Shame it ISN'T only in the station. Oh, and then there's all the bollocks they put out about Infusion.

That's about all I have to say. I don't want to see Blackpool fail, I WANT them to do well, I'd love to have another park I loved going to in this country. To suggest otherwise is just dumb. But, alas, if that's why you want to think I'd criticise the park, go ahead. You'll only make yourself look smarter.

Casio

Mega Poster
Ok I haven't read the whole of this topic but I don't Care.

In 1994 PBB built PMBO and Alton built nemesis. Since then PBB have added nothing and Alton have built Oblivion, Air, Spinball Wizzer, Rita and Thirteen. Infusion is basically the same as the Flume or Duel retheme.

I think we can see Alton are leading. PBB's main attraction is a ride that looks like a set square, built by a company that went bankrupt 8 years ago.

Plus Blackpool's space problem is actually fairly similar to Alton's height problem. Why don't they take a leaf out of Gröna Lund's book?

Plus you can't compare an airline safety record to that of a roller coaster.

A

Anonymous

Attendance is bound to go down. Anything that has been free for 110 years that suddenly becomes chargable will see an instant de-crease in use. It hasn't really come as a massive shock.

You want proof, ask the people who can provide it, or else get off your soap box and live out your life and in doing so see how PBB continues to run.

Given that the parks closing time was extended many times during the summer and illumination period I’d suggest that trend continued.

Oh look, it's flimsy paper argument time again! Plus, this could have always been some sort of marketing tool. I see it now, "the park was meant to be open until 7... BUT WE'RE EXTENDING" *insert happy guests*. I'm not saying that was certainly what happened, but, these sort of things have to be taken into account. Plus the fact you don't actually have any proof

Have you ever known a park extent its hours after a poor days trading?

Leading? Leading... what exactly? Certainly not innovations in attractions.

Go back ovr PBB's past and re think that.

And the fact they're STILL closing rides? The fact RollerCoaster is having a lot of work done to it suggests to me they HAVE to. Doing (I'm guessing, essential) repairs on one ride doesn't mean you're doing well. There's a whole park there.

Hang on, the RollerCoaster is not even ment to be open. They dont have to do anything to a ride thats not open. The fact they've re-opened it suggests they are doing well. Surly you can see if they were not it would be remaining SBNO.

But, wasn't there multiple entrances before? Also, you didn't charge everyone entering, so you could get wristbands and tickets inside. So, just the fact that there's more people on the now singular entrance doesn't mean ANYTHING.

Well I've noticed the entry process has been speeded right up.

No. But, does anyone know how much Infusion *actually* cost?

Yep.

You want to count the amount of major investments Blackpool have made in 15 years? I come to 0.

I'd call the £15million pound spent on Valhalla a fairly hefty investment, not the sort of thing I can buy with the spare change found between the cushions on the sofa at my house.

I don't agree with Ollie that maintenance is that bad. But, you yourself mentioned that Roller Coaster needed a lot of work done to it, as do a lot of other rides. Maybe other parks don't have to do so much refurbishing because they don't let their rides get in a state...

The only reason RollerCoaster needed so much doing to it is because it was completly removed from the maintance dept agenda in the 2008-2009 closed season as it was not meant to be open in 2009. Due to the park doing better than expected it was re-opened and used as a Q-buster (until the Big Dipper decided to crash resulting in it being open daily)

Have you ever considered that PBB being built beside the sea and taking a constant pounding from the weather may have an impact on the amount of maintance required there? Not overlooking the fact that a 1930's woodie requires more TLC than a modern day B&M anyway.

Ash

Scott88

Hyper Poster
In 1994 PBB built PMBO and Alton built nemesis. Since then PBB have added nothing and Alton have built Oblivion, Air, Spinball Wizzer, Rita and Thirteen. Infusion is basically the same as the Flume or Duel retheme.

Ok, so relocating a ride from Southport to Blackpool, is the same as adding bathtubs onto a Log Flume or adding guns and a few lights onto Duel?

Dream on.

Two great posts by Ash.

It'd be interesting to see what sort of reply Ben's posts would get on a Pleasure Beach site, but I very much doubt he would post them on there, considering more people will actually disagree with him.

Ben

CF Legend
Attendance is bound to go down. Anything that has been free for 110 years that suddenly becomes chargable will see an instant de-crease in use. It hasn't really come as a massive shock.

Well, good, I'm glad we have some acknowledgement that attendance is down.

You want proof, ask the people who can provide it, or else get off your soap box and live out your life and in doing so see how PBB continues to run.

So, you expect to be able to say things without any need for proof because other people have it, and then have us believe every word you say? O...K...

Leading? Leading... what exactly? Certainly not innovations in attractions.

Go back ovr PBB's past and re think that.

But, to the point, I will go over Blackpool's past... *does so*... oh look, all their "innovative" (for the time, obviously) rides stopped being built about 30 years ago. PMBO is hardly "innovative" since a monkey could go "WANT IT TALLER" and Valhalla was some flames.

Hang on, the RollerCoaster is not even ment to be open. They dont have to do anything to a ride thats not open. The fact they've re-opened it suggests they are doing well. Surly you can see if they were not it would be remaining SBNO.

No, the fact it re-opened suggests BIG DIPPER CRASHED. And it IS "meant" to be open, it's a theme park attraction, the entire reason for it existing is for it to be OPEN.

No. But, does anyone know how much Infusion *actually* cost?

Yep.

Care to share with the class?

I'd call the £15million pound spent on Valhalla a fairly hefty investment, not the sort of thing I can buy with the spare change found between the cushions on the sofa at my house, but then again, I didn't go to uni.

Valhalla I'll give you. Actually, no, I won't, because within a matter of nano-seconds it had been so ruined and botched up by Blackpool that they needn't have bothered.

The only reason RollerCoaster needed so much doing to it is because it was completly removed from the maintance dept agenda in the 2008-2009 closed season as it was not meant to be open in 2009.

Again, it's a park attraction. You making this point just BACKS. ME. UP. They didn't even want to keep it up to scratch? THEY WERE TRYING TO SAVE MONEY.

Due to the park doing better than expected it was re-opened and used as a Q-buster (until the Big Dipper decided to crash resulting in it being open daily)

Or, the closing of many rides had more of an effect than they thought it would and they went "OH ****"

Have you ever considered that PBB being built beside the sea and taking a constant pounding from the weather may have an impact on the amount of maintance required there? Not overlooking the fact that a 1930's woodie requires more TLC than a modern day B&M anyway.

I'm fully aware of where Blackpool is, yes, and of why this means their rides need more maintenance. Of course, a lot of American seaside parks have the same aged rides and they do better than Blackpool does. Oh wait, they CARE.

Casio

Mega Poster
Actually yes the 60 minute odd drive from southport to blackpool is similar to retheming two rides. I could also throw in Hex and Mutiny Bay for good measure if you'd like.

It is also fairly likely that if Ben were to post on a Blackpool Enthusiast site, on the whole the people on it would be...enthuastic...about Blackpool. If people agreed with his view on the hilariously titled '235 club' then it would be a bit of a shame.

On a general enthusiast site that is not the opinion.

And I'd just like to mention Pepsi Max Big One looks like a set square.

Status
Not open for further replies.