What's new

Gigs 'n' Tours

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
EDIT

Kylie this Sunday - small venue. So excluse <3

Cher Lloyd (hate myself, but should be fab) the Friday after.

Wow: Kate Bush tribute - a week after Cher Lloyd

Marina and the Diamonds in May, in Manchester Cathedral <3

Madonna in July.

FABULOSITY

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
ATTACKHAMMER said:
furie said:
Mysterious Sue said:
Ohh I just saw Aussie Floyd in Hammersmith on Saturday. They were on top form.

As good as the real Pink Floyd?

They have played for the real Pink Floyd. If you closed your eyes it would be very hard to tell them apart from the real Pink Floyd. The best tribute band in the world!

Ah, but at a Floyd gig, it's all about the visuals too ;)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Ah, but at a Floyd gig, it's all about the visuals too ;)[/quote]

They have a circle screen thing that they have effects on. Their mascot is a kangaroo, on the screen they show it getting out of bed hoping to it's record collection and picking up an Floyd album to show what they are going to play next.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGhgbsjx3Sg&list=PL76393DBA439D8DAD&index=1&feature=plcp[/youtube]

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Obviously never seen the real deal, but the Aussies are bloody good. Seen them three times now and always blown away by the talent and the performance (lasers, school choirs, 3d glasses, inflatable kangaroos) - it's a real show. Twice they've had special guests of extra members from the actual band. They have several vocalists to cover all the changes in sound through the years, and play everything from the popular stuff through psychedelic instrumentals and jazz solos to even some pre-floyd stuff. They really are fab.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Mysterious Sue said:
Obviously never seen the real deal, but the Aussies are bloody good. Seen them three times now and always blown away by the talent and the performance (lasers, school choirs, 3d glasses, inflatable kangaroos) - it's a real show. Twice they've had special guests of extra members from the actual band. They have several vocalists to cover all the changes in sound through the years, and play everything from the popular stuff through psychedelic instrumentals and jazz solos to even some pre-floyd stuff. They really are fab.

Totally agree. The last Floyd tour was two years before I was born so I havent seen the real thing but I did go to see Roger Waters live at The O2 on the 12th May 2011 which I will remember forever because David Gilmour made an appearence during Comfortably Numb, Nick Mason came on for Outside The Wall.

davidm

Strata Poster
furie said:
I don't disagree, I just want to crow on about seeing the real thing :p
IMHO the real thing ended at the original Wall tours back in the early 80s and I missed that. :(

I did get to the plastic Gilmour Floyd's gigs a few times though, Wembley and Maine road in 1988, Docklands Arena (whatever happened to that place) a couple of times the next year and the Division Bell tour at Earls Court a few years later. cool)

I was always a 'Rog' fan uppermost so I saw his KAOS tour in 87 and The Wall in Berlin in 90; somehow I managed to be out of the country on his In The Flesh tour so missed that - twice! The Wall last year was rather excellent, but still not really the 'real thing'.

Floyd geek then - and felling a bit old with it.

Wouldn't mind seeing some of the fake bands though :--D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Eugh! Roger Waters, what a whinge-bag :p Not a fan of his, though his inability to carry a decent tune makes my singing along sound better :p

While I agree that the post-Waters "Cliff Richard" Floyd isn't anywhere near a patch on them working with Waters (we'll ignore the Final Cut and Umma Gumma here - maybe Animals too), they still put on a cracking show AND it wasn't just Roger Waters using it as a soapbox. The Division Bell show was incredible, plus they skirted a lot of the modern stuff (DSOTM <3).

Did you ever go and see Derek Holt (Ex-Climax Blues Band) in The Grapes in Stafford doing Floyd Pink Dave? Just him, a guitar and and inflatable pig doing a night of Floyd covers. Really good fun :)

davidm

Strata Poster
^ its all about the inflatable pig isn't it! But no, think I've only ever been in the Grapes once!

(Rog's DSOTM tour a few years ago was good (but agree that the visuals weren't really up there like Gilmour's Floyd's, unlike The Wall where the visuals were superb and he's still flogging that around the globe before they release the Bluray of it) - saw that (DSOTM) in Hyde Park and in Manchester too; its all about Rog, but he only gets interesting when he's p***ed off at something/someone; Falklands War&Final Cut - great stuff!)

walker1104

Mega Poster
I've got tickets to see Lostprophets in Nottingham on the 30th April. I'm going with a friend that I've not seen for around 6 months, so it should be a good laugh. Never seen them before, I'm hoping they'll live up to my expectations!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
walker1104 said:
I've got tickets to see Lostprophets in Nottingham on the 30th April. I'm going with a friend that I've not seen for around 6 months, so it should be a good laugh. Never seen them before, I'm hoping they'll live up to my expectations!

Lostprophets are excellent live, can highly recommend them :)

Tom G said:
I've got Keane and Guns N' Roses coming up next month.

Which one first? Obviously after you've seen Keane, you're going to want to slash your wrists, or at least get murdered for having the world's worst taste in utterly dull music. So if the GnR gig is later, yo umay want to save your money for one last thrill before you lay down your soul into the drudge and tedium of Keane.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Haha, I am a creature of many extremes, I have seen Faithless and the Sex Pistols in the same year before.

I think Keane a great, their second album is very dynamic but they are remembered just for their first really.

Guns N' Roses is first, haha.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Kylie Minogue last night was brilliant.

I've always liked her, but not enough to go to the effort of going to one of her shows before. I've seen a few of them on DVD, and while they were good, they haven't had me thinking, "Wow, wish I was there" to be honest.

However, this show was amazing. It was just Kylie and a band in a 2000 capacity venue, totally stripped back and without all the "show" around it. Basically, like a gig you'd expect to see from a newer artist. She sang really well, was on stage for two hours, the band were fantastic and the crowd were wild. It just made for a really, really brilliant experience.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I went to a local show last night for the first time in ages. The headline act were a bunch of douchebags called Your Demise. They suck pretty hard, but the crowd went mental and watching them made it worth staying until the end (I'm talking people swinging from the lighting fixtures).

The first three bands were awesome though and it's kind of got me into music again, I've been out of it for way too long. I only caught the end of the first band, called Basement, but they had this kind of hardcore sound but not too OTT that I don't mind listening too. The second band were called Man Overboard, typical pop-punk style singing about girls and highschool and talking on the phone to your crush etc. The band were all scrawny little geeks which I loved and the atmosphere in the crowd for them was really happy and smiley, everybody was dancing and bouncing around, so much fun! The third band were Trapped Under Ice and they were **** brilliant. They had this real edgy hardcore sound mixed with a kind of hiphop feel, they reminded me of a more hardcore Beastie Boys. They put on SUCH a good performance and the crowd got brutal. I got kicked in the head as somebody behind me just jumped into the pit. **** ace show.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
nadroJ said:
I went to a local show last night for the first time in ages. The headline act were a bunch of douchebags called Your Demise. They suck pretty hard, but the crowd went mental and watching them made it worth staying until the end (I'm talking people swinging from the lighting fixtures).

The first three bands were awesome though and it's kind of got me into music again, I've been out of it for way too long. I only caught the end of the first band, called Basement, but they had this kind of hardcore sound but not too OTT that I don't mind listening too. The second band were called Man Overboard, typical pop-punk style singing about girls and highschool and talking on the phone to your crush etc. The band were all scrawny little geeks which I loved and the atmosphere in the crowd for them was really happy and smiley, everybody was dancing and bouncing around, so much fun! The third band were Trapped Under Ice and they were **** brilliant. They had this real edgy hardcore sound mixed with a kind of hiphop feel, they reminded me of a more hardcore Beastie Boys. They put on SUCH a good performance and the crowd got brutal. I got kicked in the head as somebody behind me just jumped into the pit. **** ace show.

I love Trapped Under Ice, and Man Overboard are really fun, they're one of the bands that get people dancing at PBR. Your Demise are a bit meh, but yeah people go off to them when they play live.

I was hoping to go the Manchester date, but can't get the time off work.

Next gig I've got lined up is Motion City Soundtrack in a fornight, and then Slam Dunk fest in Leeds at the end of May.