What's new

Fun Spot Atlanta | ArieForce One | RMC IBox Steel Coaster | 2023

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Latest scattered ArieForce One updates, courtesy of Reddit;

The cross-park, airtime-heavy sections of the coaster are now going up.
cexqua2guid91.jpg
Those lone pieces of dive loop track surely can't be in their final positions here.
p3mm3c2guid91.jpg
Train #2 has been uncovered, reverse colour scheme from the first one.
21nzkb2guid91.jpg
Not coaster-related but they've allegedly got a flying scooters under construction now.
tmwe3i2guid91.jpg
And now the station area will begin to come together.
p4xx9f2guid91.jpg

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
Page 17; https://amusementtoday.com/issues/2022/202208/
[John Arie Jr.] expects [ArieForce One] to be completed sometime this fall.
“That project has been delayed by about eight months”, Arie said. “We have had to invest $5 million more into property changes to satisfy the county.
Fayette County officials required Arie to build a new parking lot and install new storm draining. “We had to remove a miniature golf course for the storm draining,” he said. “Basically, we had to remove one income source to build another”.
So perhaps not everything has gone smoothly, but it’s coming along.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^Still quite a bit. Almost all (if not 100%) of the foundation pads have been poured. For the "out" run of the ride, supports for the outer-bank, double up, and barrel roll over the arcade building have yet to be built. The return run (quad down) has most of the supports in place. Station area is being used as a staging/bent build area at the moment, but the transfer table supports have gone in as well.

New video update here:

Changa

Mega Poster
Almost all (if not 100%) of the foundation pads have been poured.
Is there a reason why they've poured the foundations in multi-support "pads" rather than one individual foundation for each support a la Gci supports? My only guess is that the time saved from pouring one slab for several supports overcomes the cost of concrete. But I dont know how the cost of concrete compares to the cost of labour, so feel free to lambast me for this if so.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Is there a reason why they've poured the foundations in multi-support "pads" rather than one individual foundation for each support a la Gci supports? My only guess is that the time saved from pouring one slab for several supports overcomes the cost of concrete. But I dont know how the cost of concrete compares to the cost of labour, so feel free to lambast me for this if so.
There are a number of potential reasons actually. First, it's worth noting that GCI doesn't always do individual piers/footers. They have done large pads/slabs as well, such as the case with Gold Striker and Bombay Express.

Anyway, the reasons for doing it usually boil down to any or all of the following reasons:
  1. Soil properties, climate/weather, and seismic environment
  2. Topography
  3. The foundation engineer's recommendations
  4. Reactions at the touchdown points
  5. Cost
  6. The park's preference (often driven by cost)
With a flat plot of land and a number of touchdown points close to one another (which probably have fairly large reactions), it was probably easier and more economical to just pour some slabs rather than create forms for individual footers.