What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

Smithy

Strata Poster
I think it's because the end of the nose has to be within a certain distance to the floor (to prevent noses going up and over cars after Schumacher nearly lost his head in Abu Dhabi I think it was), and because lots of cars last year didn't want to lower their chassis to keep a straight nose like McLaren they just added the step in so they didn't have to lower their chassis and still had a low front end.

Apparently that's still the case for all the cars this year (including the McLaren) but they've covered up the step with a flat panel. So they still conform to the rules about having a lower front nose, but it's hidden. I think.

marc

CF Legend
Yeah your allowed to cover up the step unlike last year, but Sauber have to but have used the area to put a side on it which is not meant to be allowed as all that's allowed there is the panel.

Shall see what happens as its an advantage what they have done as they can channel air, very clever though.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Aye I saw about that, always thought those steps would have a noticeable affect on the aerodynamics so surprised nobody attempted to make more out of it. Well, someone did last year with a little slot (can't recall who) but that was ''just for cooling'', might have been Red Bull now I think of it.

Tell you what, as pally and as cringeworthy as BBC's coverage on air can be, their coverage online is immense, Gary Anderson is an absolute beast in terms of technical knowledge, his pre-analysis of each car is great to read.

marc

CF Legend
Rbr car is out now does not look much different to last years tbh and again the dip is not fully covered due to weight.

Will be interesting to see how they do as newey cars seem to always drop off in their final year of development.

With mclaren and Ferrari going for brand new cars I think rbr could be a tiny bit behind as the year goes on.

Colossus

Giga Poster
First day of testing at Jerez today and its no surprise that Jenson Buttonhas already broken down, I see that Fernando has decided to boycott Jerez and let Massa do all the testing as he believes Jerez is not worth testing on because the track doesn't resemble any track on the calendar.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
2012 was an awesome year, really was pulling for my boy Alonso....but honestly when Vettel rattledo ff the 4 straight I knew it was over. Kid is clutch.
If only the Ferrari didn't suck ass those first few races....

Ah well. '13 should be an interesting season as well! Stoked.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Have I missed the post for this year's CF's F1 Fantasy league? :?

Time for the experts here on CF to make some predictions. :wink:

10, Can Merussia or Caterham score a point?

9, Who will be the best rookie this year - Esteban Gutierrez or Valtteri Bottas (or can one of the other three pull off a shocker)?

8, Will Sergio Perez climb at McLaren and possibly finish ahead of Button?

7, What's Webber going to do this year - climb, stagnate or drop? If one of the the latter two, does RBR say goodbye at year's end?

6, Has Romain Grosjean learned from last year's mistakes or does he continue where he left off in 2012?

5, Can Kimi Räikkönen continue his comeback with another outstanding year like 2012?

4, Can Fernando Alonso have another perfect year (excluding bad luck like last year's Spa disaster)?

3, Will Lewis Hamilton do what Michael Schumacher couldn't and deliver for Mercedes?

2, Will Red Bull win the constructors championship again?

1, Will Sebastian Vettel make it four in a row?

marc

CF Legend
I will set the league up later, but was waiting for people to say option a or b. a few people wanted the option for more money but locked drivers as they don't change their team.

As for your points I expect them all to happen apart from the two new teams scoring points.

Bottas I think will be the better new driver as he had more experience.

The merc this year is a lot better but I expect Lewis to beat Nico even if the car is bad.

Mclaren seem to be in a mess and they don't have a driver who can drive round car problems, will take them a few races to get upto speed.

marc

CF Legend
Ok its done.

http://www.fantasyracers.com

The league is cfracing and the password is coasterforce. 853 is the number.

I have left the league open for both options so chose which one you want, I have gone for no driver changes as I dont normally change my team. After the 1st few races drivers become to expensive to make big changes anyway.

So good luck everyone who takes part.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
ECG said:
Have I missed the post for this year's CF's F1 Fantasy league? :?

Time for the experts here on CF to make some predictions. :wink:

10, Can Merussia or Caterham score a point?

9, Who will be the best rookie this year - Esteban Gutierrez or Valtteri Bottas (or can one of the other three pull off a shocker)?

8, Will Sergio Perez climb at McLaren and possibly finish ahead of Button?

7, What's Webber going to do this year - climb, stagnate or drop? If one of the the latter two, does RBR say goodbye at year's end?

6, Has Romain Grosjean learned from last year's mistakes or does he continue where he left off in 2012?

5, Can Kimi Räikkönen continue his comeback with another outstanding year like 2012?

4, Can Fernando Alonso have another perfect year (excluding bad luck like last year's Spa disaster)?

3, Will Lewis Hamilton do what Michael Schumacher couldn't and deliver for Mercedes?

2, Will Red Bull win the constructors championship again?

1, Will Sebastian Vettel make it four in a row?

Time for mystic ATTACKHAMMER
10: I think Caterham can score a point
9: Bottas
8: think he will do well but Button will do better
7: Think Webber will still be consistent this year, if he does drop I wouldn't rule out him leaving.
6: I think he won't have changed
5: I think Kimi could do better than last year maybe a couple of wins.
4: Alonso will have another great year and be fighting for the title.
3: not this year
2: If Webber doesn't drop down yes
1: I think he could.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Marc. Good move on leaving both options open for us to choose.
Let's see what my Germans do this time around. :wink:

marc

CF Legend
It will be the people that change their teams that win it so it will be 2 competitions really so will be interesting.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Not necessarily tbh, the people who've chosen teams from the start may have nailed it and the others may not be able to afford them once they pick up and start to figure out who'll be near the top.

Or they'll be like me and forget to update their team after about a week.

marc

CF Legend
Yeah that's why I've just gone for a team now, I don't have the time to sit their changing my team for every race.

I've had to base my choice on what I expect to be the best at scoring points over the whole year.

The other way you can change your top driver for the 1st 5 races until they get to expensive.

I've played it safe tbh.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Does it not piss anyone else off that the season opener is always in Australia (barring the few exceptions a few years ago ;) )

I can't contain myself to find out results before watching re-runs :( I know its a worldwide sport but Australia is one of the few that is an unsociable hour for the rest of the world!

marc

CF Legend
I sort of like the early races as it does not mean waiting until 2pm lol.

It's on a 6 which is better than 4am like it used to be.