What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

nealbie

CF Legend
marc said:
What must be worrying Merc is none of their teams look anywhere near winning a race this year.

Not strictly true. But it must be worrying for them that Force India are their best bet! :lol:

Martyn B

CF Legend
Good to see Ferrari have got things sorted, should be a good year for them.

On other hand, poor poor McClaren...

Oh, and who's that new BBC presenter? She's crap, the pre-race build up was just an interview with DC!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I like Force India myself. They have been a solid team over the years and shown good improvement, and I like both Di Resta and Sutil a lot.

marc

CF Legend
Yes same here they are my 2nd team would like to see them in the top 3 this year they got robbed in a few races last year.

Plus today will teach a number of teams that they should have tested with the super softs over the winter. Cannot believe rbr, mclaren and merc never used them before this weekend.

nealbie

CF Legend
Di Resta is pony. I feel sorry for Hulkenberg moving away from the Force India to the Sauber, he's a star driver.

Sutil is a solid point scorer though. Any midfield team is lucky to have him on their books. A point he proved today - was only let down by the poor decision late on by his garage.

What I find delightful about Kimi's win today is the relative ease with which he did it. We all thought that he'd just played a strategy blinder, and then on OLDER tyres he sets the fastest lap simply "to make the gap a little bit bigger" back to Alonso. He had that race in his pocket from the moment the lights went out. <3

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I think it's a very strong field, both in driver quality but also team.
Pretty much all except Marussia and Caterham can expect to be in points competition and remember how last year was.

And I wouldn't be worried yet...McLaren will get their s**t in order. Well maybe not, they have a history of inconsistency but remember it's just one race.
Granted I'd love a Kimi/Alonso battle : D

marc

CF Legend
Mclaren will get there car in order but as normal with them it will be too late. This for them will be like the 2009 year I think. (If I got my years right lol).

Paul has got to be concerned now, that's two races Force India have led and it's not been him. It's no good him getting 9th on the grid he's at a disadvantage doing that. Can see why he might elect not to set a time.

Yes kimi had that race under control from the first lap. He was keeping up with the rest, in fact was faster, and he was stopping one time less. Great drive. Even on a 3 stop I think he had the speed to beat them tbh.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
I always felt, in terms of pure driving skill, Kimi was the best in the field post schumi (though he probably could've rivaled him) which pissed me off that he was so lazy. And yeah McLaren was spotty during his tenure but still...napping till right before races, no workouts, heavy drinking, little off season testing. More about the fun and thrill than racing per se.

If he put in Schumacher like focus he could be dominant but what can ya do? At least he's not a cookie cutter personality.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Way to be Ferrari/Alonso!

Your wing is dragging on the ground, with a wet track...why come into the pits?? :roll:

Glad to know I'm prepared to stay up until 6 am just to see Alonso go out 1.1 laps into the race due to stupidity. :x

T0M

Hyper Poster
People going into overdrive about team orders and drivers asking their leading team mate to move aside...

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Wow!
Race itself was kinda bland, only excitement being Alonso's stupidity and some pit stop madness.

Was really pulling for Webber but what can ya say? Not like Vettel was handed this one and he is far better than Mark. I know they are not exactly friends but damn, this one was tense! Looks like they wanted to punch each other immediately afterwards.
Yes, interesting with Mercedes. Nico was clearly quicker but had to play "good driver" not just for the team, but I have to assume for the golden boy Lewis.

I like this not so friendly team mate thing! F1 is great but so bland in terms of personality.

marc

CF Legend
Vettel is the number 1 team player!

Feel bad for webber who turned his engine down.

Feel bad for Nico as well, but at least he's a team player. At least lewis admitted that nico should have been 3rd and thanked him.

Don't agree with team orders for the above reasons. They should just all race!

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Well it's a tough one. No one likes it, but it is the "safe" thing to do and no one wants to hear this:
A #1 #2 driver thing is kinda needed.

If you can get away with having both go for it all, kudos but look at:
Webber/Vettel
Hamilton/Button (they were brits so they didn't show much outright emotion about it)
Alonso/Hamilton
Senna/Prost.

It tends to get pretty ugly. What else can you expect with two #1s? That's why they are #1s...
I agree though, let em all race!

Wow. I thought Vettel honestly passed Webber, but it's sounding like Mark did indeed shut down while Vettel did not. Came from Horner's mouth. Hmmmm well shameful display if this is the case. Next time, Webber should just shove him off the track!
And yeah, kudos for Hamilton. Takes some balls to admit that.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Even during the Ferrari days I'm not sure MSC made requests for BAR and IRV to get out of the way, rather it was the team doing it as amatter of course.

I think it adds just an element too far when you have drivers asking for people to be slowed down. Just try and get past them by racing! We have DRS and KERS now.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Yeah, that was pretty shameful from Vettel but to be fair, Rosberg also asked to have Lewis move for him.
No one will bash him I'm sure, and probably say aw poor guy.
Edit: Also, Schumacher would play "good teammate" the rare times it was needed. I doubt Vettel would do the same.

But this is great! F1 has been so bland, we need the Montoyas, Kimis, and Webbers around!

marc

CF Legend
Nico did pass Lewis but did not defend at all and lewis got straight back past him. Feel bad for Nico maybe he had more fuel left than lewis god knows. It was horrid to watch him backing off etc.

Thought lewis stopping at the wrong pit was so funny.

Ms and team orders, don't even get me started on that one. According to Rubens it went way beyond just team orders. At least today merc were honest rather when Ferrari used to do it saying the number 2 driver had "brake problems". Laughing at ms fans moaning about what merc done today. I actually wish Rubens and Eddie had done what vettel done today but they risked getting the sack.

Alonso and Ferrari dropped the ball big time today. Btw alonso has always asked for his team mate to be moved out the way. In 2006 he wanted fissi moved out the way in china and 2005 at Canada. In 2007 in the USA he wanted lewis moved and we all know the Massa stuff.

Team orders should not be needed at race 2. Maybe later in the year but not now. Can understand rbr they had a one two and both were told to back off. But with merc there was no need to make Nico suffer for their fuel error with lewis car.

I thought when alonso went out I was hardly going to score many points but the rest done ok.

Pleased to say it was not me tweeting during the race, was far to busy watching the race.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Was a good race. It was very funny when Hamilton went to the wrong pit! I don't like team orders I just want to see the team mates race each other.

Smithy

Strata Poster
More ammunition for people (like me) who don't rate Vettel as highly as others. Spoilt brat in the right team at the right time.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
Was a good race. It was very funny when Hamilton went to the wrong pit! I don't like team orders I just want to see the team mates race each other.

That was great!

Well, in terms of talent can't deny Vettel is a top 3 driver in the field, and while it kinda sucks he has had favoritism...honestly he's been better than Webber. Whenever you have a dominant driver (who's not yours) people will hate him and a list of usually not really realistic complaints pop up.
This was a sad display though, I've always liked Vettel because he seemed a down to earth and natural guy but this was shameful!

Yeah, I'm glad to see Ferrari is back. I am STILL mad at Alonso! Crap happens but that was purely his stupidity, and looks like Ferrari was ready, and he just decided to push it. If he loses the title by like 2 points I wont forgive him :cry: