What's new

Formula 1™ Topic

marc said:
But I cannot stand Ben so I will not watch the bbc. I really miss Jake and EJ though.
You realise you're not bound entirely to watch the race and the pre/post race stuff entirely on one channel right?

I was all ready to call the race out as another of the dull ones, but the battles at the end... wow. Everything just started happening all at once. Feel bad for Kimi losing 10 places in 2 laps (mostly because he was in my team). Lotus's pit strategy really screwed him over. Then again, pitting while in his position would have dropped him down a huge number of places. Would have been interesting to see if he could claw back some on new tyres. He lost a pistop's worth amount of time as it was.

So, Bernie and his cronies suggesting that the complete absence of the Force India cars from our television feeds during FP3 and qualifying is purely coincidental? I'm not convinced - granted, we weren't expecting anything groundbreaking from them, but I gather Di Resta put in a pretty special lap in Q2...

Anyway, I've come to the conclusion that going to Bahrain was a mistake - NOT because I want the sport to become any more deeply entrenched in international politics than it already is, but purely for the safety of everyone involved - teams, drivers and spectators alike - I'm gathering it's not just Force India who've had a rough few days, and that's always going to overshadow anything that happens on track.

Especially when it's Vettel back on pole.

I agree Will that was on purpose so I hope they run well and have to be on tv :). Just hope dir does not get passed by kimi on the straight lol.

A protester got shot dead last night as well they should not have gone.

I still don't think there will be a race tomorrow, just hope no one gets hurt.

There was an interesting thread on Reddit the other day by some British guy who's been living in Bahrain for the past so many years. According to him, the news coverage is making this whole situation seem a lot worse than it actually is (as the media loves). Obviously if everybody has their eyes on Bahrain, the media are going to find every little bit of violence.

Anyway, obviously Bahrain's not the safest place in the world, but this discussion brings a few facts back down to earth, even if it is just one man's opinion.
http://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/commen ... t_i_would/

I think the people making a fuss about it being so dangerous are forgetting that Button was nearly captured at gunpoint back in Brazil, and nothing close to this sort of drama was created.

That was an isolated incident though, and could have happened anywhere. This is multiple members of the so-called lesser teams (with consequently lesser security) quite literally coming under fire - those members of the Force India team were quite right to get out of there, as nobody should have to work under those conditions - I reckon most fans would have understood if they'd pulled out altogether!

...meanwhile, Ecclestone is NOW blaming Force India's absence on the fact that their cars say Whyte & McKay on. Obviously, alcohol advertising isn't exactly encouraged in Bahrain, but this is still pretty lame...

BBC News Link

Basically, a group of them travelling in an unmarked car near the circuit earlier in the week were caught up at a roadblock by protesters and generally came a lot closer than they would have liked to petrol bombs etc.

After that incident, a few members of the team decided being in Bahrain was not the way forward and went home, and the team skipped second practise 2 on Friday while they worked out what they were doing - I suspect it's that that Bernie's seen as 'a lack of unity' are some such bollocks, hence cutting them from the TV pictures today. Like Marc's said, just hoping they have a really good race tomorrow to piss him off. I'll be wearing my shirt with pride :p

Will said:
That was an isolated incident though, and could have happened anywhere. This is multiple members of the so-called lesser teams (with consequently lesser security) quite literally coming under fire - those members of the Force India team were quite right to get out of there, as nobody should have to work under those conditions - I reckon most fans would have understood if they'd pulled out altogether!

But the difference is that in Brazil the driver/team was specifically targeted, in this instance they've just been caught up in it.

...meanwhile, Ecclestone is NOW blaming Force India's absence on the fact that their cars say Whyte & McKay on. Obviously, alcohol advertising isn't exactly encouraged in Bahrain, but this is still pretty lame...

Just won't stop digging will he. Can't stand him.

Marc what makes you think that?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/ap ... CMP=twt_gu

Seems to suggest it'll go on regardless.

There been riots over night near the track and tear gas has been used.

There are calls to stop the race.

Aye but the calls are mostly from people outside the country, which is being responded to essentially as ''you're not here, you don't know''. Several journalists have been refused visa's to report on the protests, including some from Sky.

You know what Bernie's like, unless he gets caught up in it himself he couldn't give a ****, and given he'll probably fly in and out (or be in an armoured car) he won't see anything.

This is turning out to be one hell of a season. 5 different winners from 5 races including Maldonado winning at the weekend. And it's Monaco next!

It's is a good year but I cannot help but feel some teams are getting really fed up. Top teams have spent so much and the smaller teams are actually doing a better job, it's funny tbh and it's spicing it up.

For me there are 2 teams doing the best job, Ferrari (well Alonso) and lotus.

Mclaren have the best car and are messing it up for their drivers (Lewis). He probably would have won easy on Sunday but we will never know.

Massa has been given until silverstone and then it's bye bye if he does not get better.

Monaco is anyone's race, but I think it will be Lewis or Alonso. But Williams went well last year and the car was bad so I would not write them off. Perez as well could pull off a shock.

While these tyres are creating unpredictable and exciting racing, they do go against what Formula One was always about for me.

Cars cannot be pushed to their maximum unless it's raining. The sport is no longer about the ability to control a car when it is on the very edge of its limits. They no longer take corners at breathtaking speeds.

As I say I think if my idol (Schumacher) wasn't involved again and I was a neutral, I'd welcome this variety and unpredictability. But he fact is unless it's raining we can't see who is the best and naturally fastest.

It's also part of skill not to wear out tyres though, they are not just made for one team one driver anymore.

Years ago Prost was able to use soft tyres and senna and mansell had to use Hards, it was an advantage Prost had.

Lewis showed on Sunday there was no need to do 3 or 4 stops, he done it on 2.

Many are saying ms is just trying to use the tyres as an excuse for his bad year when he should just get on with it. His bad year has not been his fault until Spain when.

I do agree it should not be about tyres, but ms and Ferrari won many titles with tyres just made for them it turns out, if Jordan and Gary Anderson are correct. The 2 races they got to use them their car went 1 second a lap faster.

Alonso and kimi are doing the best jobs out there. Lewis would be having a good year if it was not for mclaren, button is getting destroyed at the mo.

marc said:
Monaco is anyone's race, but I think it will be Lewis or Alonso. But Williams went well last year and the car was bad so I would not write them off. Perez as well could pull off a shock.
Maldonado's historically been quite good at Monaco in GP2 as well. Could be interesting.

I'm quite impressed that after such a lottery of results, I still think the results show up the best drivers. Alonso's doing a great job of hauling his awful Ferrari around, Vettel's fast as usual and Hamilton's having a quite consistent year really.

While I'm here, have a picture of the under-construction USGP Turn 1 and start straight. Elevation change <3
http://i.imgur.com/20BJ8.jpg

(Also yay, the automobile club have found Sky access... so that's my viewing sorted for some more races)