What's new

Etnaland Theme Park | The Storm | Mack Megacoaster

STC

Mega Poster
Pre-opening testing POVs are usually much slower than it turns out eventually, so given that this looks like the normal 'settled in' speed on pretty much every other coaster, this thing should be flying round next year!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I don't know how much that is actually true to be honest. There's often a little bit of a difference as they try to get wheels and tolerances right, but I doubt it makes such a huge difference as we think, especially if the ride is well designed.

However, I completely disagree with Ethan and think the ride looks plenty fast enough. It looks faster than, say, a B&M mega but not quite as fast as an Intamin airtime machine. That's probably a good balance to be honest for this kind of "family" coaster Mack are producing. It will be "fun", which is sometimes all you need and I'll bet it's the kind of ride you can go on again and again without really getting bored, or struggle to deal with the extreme forces.

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ Oh yeah I'm not saying it wouldn't appeal to it's target market, just to me it looks slightly too slow (for my liking).

Martyn B

CF Legend
It looks like it starts really well, but come the end its just farting along, not really doing too much.

And what is with the barrell roll? It just seems so random...

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I think the pacing looks great, and while no Mega-Lite, it's still fast enough pacing, unlike most new B&M.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Every time a new roller coaster start testing, you tend to always say that it's slow or not as fast as you thought. It happend with The Swarm, manta, Shambhala, blue fire and now this.
Well im sorry that it's not as fast as Kingda ka. Give the ride a chance.

Ethan

Strata Poster
owenrita121 said:
Every time a new roller coaster start testing, you tend to always say that it's slow or not as fast as you thought. It happend with The Swarm, manta, Shambhala, blue fire and now this.
Well im sorry that it's not as fast as Kingda ka. Give the ride a chance.

Haha. Somebody is getting fierce! :wink: Seriously though, calm down. If your post was aimed at me, you may have noticed I said i'll reserve judgement for now. People will say it's slow, and I don't really think that's going to change, mate... :)

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
^It's wasn't just aimed at you it was for most people on this site, it just seems that people arn't happy unless it goes 1million miles an hour, I would understand if it was slow, but this just isn't.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Looks good for a family ride, but am I the only one who have got the impression that this is their coaster for the thrillseekers?

Also, in my opinion it looks like some of those s-turn elements, especially the first one, is designed for a greater speed than Storm achieves.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Not about The Storm, but a POV of the new flume 'Dragon River' which recently opened if anyone's interested.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8-AbHBnYic&feature=related[/youtube]

Martyn B

CF Legend
So.... I'm confused. The park isn't opening until next year.... and by looking at all the swim suits, I guess the Log Flume is in the water park area...?

Lofty

CF Legend
Yeah, it´ll be like their Intamin Splah Ride thing, in which it´s situated near the waterpark area and you´re allowed to wear your swimming costumes for it, it´s the only logical way in which it can work without it all seeming odd that you´re walking through a building site.

Brett7710

Mega Poster
Yeah, it'll probably be just like Hersheypark (and probably many others) where some of the attractions are open to both water and theme park guests.

Going back to The Storm I think it looks great. In contrast to Martyn B I think it looks great towards the end, I love the headchoppers on the last 2 hills and the barrel roll is taken at a decent speed. It will be interesting to see how much airtime it packs in, a couple of the hills look like it might only happen in the back seats, but the whole thing flows really well.

Brookes

Giga Poster
Only just seen this - I honestly think The Storm looks a bit like a family version of the mega-lites, though I'm sure it'll still be good fun! I really like the bonus barrel roll at the end as well. As for the Flume, well, it's pretty nice. I like the surroundings and the station, but the drops themselves don't look that big.

IntaminToWin

Mega Poster
It looks pretty good, but I don't like the barrel roll. It simply doesn't fit with the rest of the ride and annoys me for that reason.

Jake

Strata Poster
^ Yeah, I don't really see the point of it either. It's like it can't make its mind up regarding what it's trying to be. Weird.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I don't like it because it excludes people who don't like going upside down, without really doing much for people that do, given there is only one inversion and its the weakest inversion there is. The heartline roll on Cheetah Hunt is the same sort of situation IMO.

STC

Mega Poster
Of you think they should take out the inversion, you clearly haven't ridden Blue Fire's similar barrel roll.

One of the best elements of any coaster anywhere - if this is anything like that it'll be the highlight, not the flaw.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2